Sixfields Stadium expansion begins (1 Viewer)

Neutral Fan

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...his-week-on-sixfields-redevelopment-1-5929417

A sod cutting ceremony is due to be held on Friday to mark the start of work on the redevelopment of Sixfields Stadium.
The joint venture between The County Group, Northampton Town Football Club and Northampton Borough Council will result in the creation of new houses, shops and a 100-bedroom hotel in a 33 acre area of Sixfields.
Simon Patnick, chief operating Officer of County Group said: “It’s clear that the coming together of these three groups has led to a bright and prosperous future for Sixfields and its local area.
“it will not only provide future jobs, wealth and value to the area.
“But it will also give Northampton Town Football Club the ability to be self-financing and having the opportunity to generate increased levels of income to help the club move up the football ladder and become a 24/7 and 365 days-a-year [COLOR=#446688 !important][COLOR=#446688 !important]business[/COLOR][/COLOR].”
Councillor David Mackintosh, leader of Northampton Borough Council said: “Increasingly success in professional sports is as much about what happens off the pitch as on it and the expansion of Sixfields Stadium and the surrounding area will help to regenerate the west of Northampton and develop the club.
“We are committed to supporting the Cobblers, and helping the club to take full advantage of the business opportunities of being located in our Enterprise Zone.”
David Cardoza, chairman of Northampton Town added, “We are so grateful to David Mackintosh and Northampton Borough Council for their support, without which we wouldn’t be in this position. They have been fantastic in helping to deliver a facility of which the town will be truly proud.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought Cov fans might be interested in this. Obviously not because they're keen on Sixfields(!) but you can see what NTFC are trying to achieve - with assistance from the local council (who, generally speaking, have not been seen as doing a very good job over the years).

This all came about because NBC gave NTFC a 150 years lease for £1 (the stadium was losing the council money). I don't understand why SISU couldn't accept a long lease - it seems to allow NTFC to develop the area, why wouldn't it allow them to develop the Ricoh area?

Equally, maybe CCC should try to help CCFC a little more? It doesn't make much sense to me that CCFC are renting from a 4th Div club (conference soon?) and it's the 4th Div club that are expanding their ground and redeveloping the area.

p.s. Good news for those on the hill...the home stand at the near end will not be changed so you can still see 1/2 the pitch!

John_Silletts_Nose

Should there be a judicial review into the council funding, it's a "matter of principle" as SISU have said about the case that they have brought against CCC.

Grendel

Why - where did Northampton source the funding? Did they but up a private loan of a totally separate private company to assist them in meeting the payments? I never new that.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Why - where did Northampton source the funding? Did they but up a private loan of a totally separate private company to assist them in meeting the payments? I never new that.

Did SISU state that this particular aspect, or the lack thereof, was the key aspect in the ACL deal? Nope. Thought not

shmmeee

I thought they settled the debt, not bought it.

Astute

Is it SISU you are going on about?

dancers lance

I hope this 'stadium expansion' work doesn't have a negative effect on our attendance figures.

letsallsingtogether

Beat me to it and they have done it more then once?
maybe another new owner next year financed by the same source.

After all what is in a name???

Is it SISU you are going on about?

Users who are viewing this thread