Sisu (1 Viewer)

steve101

Certainly through the pandemic they've been acceptable in fact since boddy has come in they seem to have been more fan friendly and I have been surprised Robins has been backed by SISU in the January window.
However until SISU give us the new stadium I will be suspicious.
I agree. Boddy has made a positive difference. And changing the mindset of offering one year deals to giving players decent 2 to 3 year contracts gave the squad much needed stability.

skybluetony176

SISU played a blinder not owning a stadium during these times.

Edit not a blinder....very lucky.
Yep, there’s not a chance in hell they seen this coming but stadium ownership must be a millstone around every club’s neck at the moment. Be interesting to see what if any difference that makes next season. Especially if playing behind closed doors or even a reduced capacity has to happen next season.

shmmeee

Not to be a Debbie downer, but isn’t the rent at St Andrew’s significantly higher than it was on our last Ricoh deal according to rumours?

So how are we better off?

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Not to be a Debbie downer, but isn’t the rent at St Andrew’s significantly higher than it was on our last Ricoh deal according to rumours?

As you don't know the details of the deals, you have no idea whether we are better off paying rent at the white elephant or St Andrews or not.

What you do know is the club doesn't have to bear all of the lion's share of the cost of maintaining a stadium that is generating little income.

cov donkey kick

Yep, there’s not a chance in hell they seen this coming but stadium ownership must be a millstone around every club’s neck at the moment. Be interesting to see what if any difference that makes next season. Especially if playing behind closed doors or even a reduced capacity has to happen next season.
Reduced capacity on our gates, think that's a whole new ball game as there has to be a tipping piont surely where it affects the team on the pitch if we don't sort out a ground in cov.

RegTheDonk

Think we're getting a slice of the turnover, F&B, car park etc? Not that that amounts to much currently!

Magwitch

One scientist reckons no large crowds for a long long time
I heard that on radio the other day if it’s the same program he reckons the likes of Cheltenham, the Notting Hill carnival Glastonbury the Cup Final and other large events which I assume would include many sporting events are at least two years away.

Sky Blue Pete

I heard that on radio the other day if it’s the same program he reckons the likes of Cheltenham, the Notting Hill carnival Glastonbury the Cup Final and other large events which I assume would include many sporting events are at least two years away.
I don’t quite understand if there is no serious illnesses or deaths as surely catching a cold or the flu or a benign Covid virus is just as it always has been. However I’m not a scientist or a medic

KenilworthSkyBlue

I don’t quite understand if there is no serious illnesses or deaths as surely catching a cold or the flu or a benign Covid virus is just as it always has been. However I’m not a scientist or a medic

I read quite an interesting article in the FT related to this topic. Essentially I think it's predominantly down to the fact that not all people will take the vaccine - leaving them vulnerable, and to keep cases down as much as possible to avoid further mutations as there's a risk that the virus could mutate to the point where vaccines are less effective against fighting serious illness.

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

As you don't know the details of the deals, you have no idea whether we are better off paying rent at the white elephant or St Andrews or not.

What you do know is the club doesn't have to bear all of the lion's share of the cost of maintaining a stadium that is generating little income.

Off season the impact must be huge of owning a stadium with zero revenue coming...just paying the bills.

Magwitch

The program was more about the vaccine program and the Government currently beating its chest about its success in the vaccine program and to be fair it is going well, what was being discussed was the predictions going out that vaccination once completed Will put us back to normal will put us all in a false sense of security I was half listening this one scientist was pouring water on that giving all sorts of reasons, in fact he said it could be as long as five years before normality as we knew it returns if it ever does.

Sky Blue Pete

I read quite an interesting article in the FT related to this topic. Essentially I think it's predominantly down to the fact that not all people will take the vaccine - leaving them vulnerable, and to keep cases down as much as possible to avoid further mutations as there's a risk that the virus could mutate to the point where vaccines are less effective against fighting serious illness.
That makes sense

Sky Blue Pete

The program was more about the vaccine program and the Government currently beating its chest about its success in the vaccine program and to be fair it is going well, what was being discussed was the predictions going out that vaccination once completed Will put us back to normal will put us all in a false sense of security I was half listening this one scientist was pouring water on that giving all sorts of reasons, in fact he said it could be as long as five years before normality as we knew it returns if it ever does.
And that does too thanks

Hertsccfc

Really good post and makes sense.

shmmeee

Think we're getting a slice of the turnover, F&B, car park etc? Not that that amounts to much currently!

Well that’s my point. On a purely base rent calculation we’d be roughly £700k/yr better off at the Ricoh this season. Assuming the rumours of £1m at Stans and £0.3m at the Ricoh.

Magwitch

Well that’s my point. On a purely base rent calculation we’d be roughly £700k/yr better off at the Ricoh this season. Assuming the rumours of £1m at Stans and £0.3m at the Ricoh.
Try and convince our owner that’s the best.

chiefdave

Not sure its a like for like comparison. At the Ricoh there was huge costs on top of the rent but when St Andrews is spoken about its an 'all in' cost. Of course that could have backfired as we might now be paying for things that aren't needed unless Brum agreed to a reduction.

Frostie

Not sure its a like for like comparison. At the Ricoh there was huge costs on top of the rent but when St Andrews is spoken about its an 'all in' cost. Of course that could have backfired as we might now be paying for things that aren't needed unless Brum agreed to a reduction.

As with everything, the details aren't publicly available so people believe what suits their argument.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the "£1m to rent St Andrews" figure come from Jim White on Talksport? The guy barely knows football exists outside Premier League & SPL let alone know the ins & outs of our financial dealings. It was immediately refuted by Fisher too but now some take it as gospel? 🤷🏼‍♂️

KenilworthSkyBlue

As with everything, the details aren't publicly available so people believe what suits their argument.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the "£1m to rent St Andrews" figure come from Jim White on Talksport? The guy barely knows football exists outside Premier League & SPL let alone know the ins & outs of our financial dealings. It was immediately refuted by Fisher too but now some take it as gospel? 🤷🏼‍♂️

The figure is accurate. It was reiterated to me by a contact who was previously employed by the club and who I still keep in touch with from time to time.

If anything I think it's actually a little over £1m. According to him it works out at around £50k per game.

Frostie

The figure is accurate. It was reiterated to me by a contact who was previously employed by the club and who I still keep in touch with from time to time.

If anything I think it's actually a little over £1m. According to him it works out at around £50k per game.

Interesting. What's included for that £1m?

ccfc92

I wouldn't credit them with anything really. Position in the league we have gone full circle since they took over. They started with us in the championship and brought us back to the championship, however we were playing in Coventry when we started but now we are not. All we can say is we are not leaking as much money, their 'stewardship' through the pandemic is coincidental rather than intentional.

That last bit is spot on.

Other clubs in championship regularly get 20k+ gates, so the no fans in the stadium has probably levelled the playing field for us in an ironic way.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Interesting. What's included for that £1m?

Not exactly sure on the details as I never usually press too much.

Stretching my memory slightly here but I believe all he mentioned was that commercially, it was a far better deal than what was agreed at the Ricoh. So I assume full access to revenue received from parking, F&B, among other benefits.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

But your figures are a complete guess, aren't they.

How about I say we pay £50 a year rent at St Andrews and were offered a deal for £500,050 at the Ricoh - then I can claim the club is half a million quid a year better off at St Andrews.

How about I then keep repeating the same bollocks until the less bright amongst us start believing it, simply because they've heard it said so many times.

NorthernWisdom

How about I say we pay £50 a year rent at St Andrews and were offered a deal for £500,050 at the Ricoh - then I can claim the club is half a million quid a year better off at St Andrews.

How about I then keep repeating the same bollocks until the less bright amongst us start believing it, simply because they've heard it said so many times.
Best go at @KenilworthSkyBlue as well, then.

NorthernWisdom

They don't seem to be trying to make a career out of it...
The £million but greater access to revenues was widely quoted by people at the time. Now yes, it may well all be bollocks that then gains a ring of truth, but enough people with the sound of authenticity (the best I heard from a reliable source was that the cost of St Andrews was more, but it was a better deal for the club in terms of income - tallies without figures) have suggested we pay more, for more access to income.

So, it's a hardly unreasonable point to suggest that, without access to said income, we are now on a worse deal than any Ricoh one would have been. That's hardly an earth-shattering claim borne out of a grand ideological hatred of Birmingham, SISU, and a love of Wasps.

Last edited:

Grendel

We pay somewhere in the region of £50k a game at St Andrews - there is some additional access to revenues from the catering but even when fans were there it has to be a minimal amount.

we still paid for stewards and I’d assume also policing

it’s not been done as it’s cheap the motive was not cost saving

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

The £million but greater access to revenues was widely quoted by people at the time. Now yes, it may well all be bollocks that then gains a ring of truth, but enough people with the sound of authenticity (the best I heard froma reliable source was that the cost of St Andrews was more, but it was a better deal for the club - tallies without figures) have suggested we pay more, for more access to income.

So, it's a hardly unreasonable point to suggest that, without access to said income, we are now on a worse deal than any Ricoh one would have been. That's hardly an earth-shattering claim borne out of a grand ideological hatred of Birmingham, SISU, and a love of Wasps.

But you don't know if any of what you write about is true. You appear to want to believe it to be true, but that doesn't mean it is.

I have links with the club that go back decades and that are highly credible. I also know someone who formerly worked for the club and is a well known Walter Mitty who delights in telling tall tales.

NorthernWisdom

But you don't know if any of what you write about is true. You appear to want to believe it to be true, but that doesn't mean it is.

I have links with the club that go back decades and that are highly credible. I also know someone who formerly worked for the club and is a well known Walter Mitty who delights in telling tall tales.
You seem desperate to try to rubbish a not unreasonable point.

If the cost of St Andrews rent is more than the Ricoh, but it offers better access to income, then the deal at St Andrews is worse if there is no access to income.

That is not an unreasonable point!

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

We pay somewhere in the region of £50k a game at St Andrews - there is some additional access to revenues from the catering but even when fans were there it has to be a minimal amount.

we still paid for stewards and I’d assume also policing

it’s not been done as it’s cheap the motive was not cost saving

Please post the contract showing the terms between Birmingham City and Coventry City for use of St Andrews.

NorthernWisdom

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Users who are viewing this thread