sisu: 1 week till we hear the truth (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I have met a few fans who stopped going under SISU control and they said they would not go while SISU are in control. I will ask the question "Do you want SISU gone first or a return to the RICOH first" and see what answer is the most popular.

Are these the same people who gave the your "fitness test"'exclusive?

Or is it just another lie?

WestEndAgro

You don't know the 10,000 stopped going because SISU took over? You can't answer for them can you?

There could be a variety of reasons, it is the same as the statements that say 10,000 fans who don't go to Sixfields don't go because of principles.

Have you done a poll or just made a statement? Does that mean that the huge gates we had in the 40's etc stopped coming because they weren't happy with the owners? Could things like credit crunch, lack of work, Sky TV etc have made any difference?

Exactly Nick, you hit the Nail on the Head. PRINCIPLES you either have them or you don't end of thread !

So from you meeting a few fans you have come to the conclusion that is why 10,000 stopped going?

I don't argue some won't go until they are gone, but I reckon most would come back if we are back in Cov, and even more if we are back at the Ricoh.

I meet a lot of fans and supporters and before the move to sixfields the feed back was not a lot were going to sixfields, which proved right. I am again asking if Fans/Supporters are going to sixfields or away games. The answers so far have been much the same as last year. In fact attitude to SISU has seemed to harden and a few have said they will start going to away games. It will be interesting to see how every one feels after June the 10th

sky blue john

So Southampton, derby, Brighton etc. only saw increased attendance for 3 games?

The tourist thing is interesting. People on here would have you believe everyone in Coventry loves it. A man who lives in a high rise in wood end could lose his job and his family in one day but would still go to bed content that the council are stopping a nasty wasty hedge fund from stealing the Ricoh. That knowledge alone means contentment for the citizens of our fair city.

Lol !!
You are a ridiculous !!
Is that wood end man you ???

Nick

Administrator
I meet a lot of fans and supporters and before the move to sixfields the feed back was not a lot were going to sixfields, which proved right. I am again asking if Fans/Supporters are going to sixfields or away games. The answers so far have been much the same as last year. In fact attitude to SISU has seemed to harden and a few have said they will start going to away games. It will be interesting to see how every one feels after June the 10th

I have no doubt that attendances will still be crap at Sixfields.

We were talking about people attending under SISU control though, not at sixfields ;)

Grendel

Is this the best you can say but you will under stand after he has gone and it will show that use of the brain can work it out to understand the "fitness test"

A fitness test is done by the buying club you fool.

Grendel

Covmark does Grendel tuck you into bed each night and read you fairy tales ???

I am in A and E I laughed do much at that witty riposte I cracked a rib.

chiefdave

The one factor you have to include is the impact initially of a new stadium - look at the average rise that gives and then factor that out.

Your prior to the ricoh crowds show the true average. Decline started after season one at the new ground. Other than 2008 to 2009 the decline back to pre Ricoh levels is incredibly consistent year on year.

Not sure that is strictly true. Took a look at Southampton as a comparison (yes it is a very quiet day in the office!):
The Dell
PL
97/98 15,159
98/99 15,140
99/00 15,132
00/01 15,115

St Marys
PL
01/02 30,633
02/03 30,680
03/04 31,716
04/05 30,609
Championship
05/06 23,613
06/07 23,556
07/08 21,081
08/09 18,149
League 1
09/10 20,108
10/11 21,726
Championship
11/12 26,420
12/13 30,874

Even playing in the PL at the Dell they were consistently at 15K in the 4 seasons prior to moving to St Marys. In the 12 seasons since their move, despite dropping to L1 the lowest their average has dropped to is 18K (a championship season), their L1 seasons both average over 20K.

chiefdave

I have no doubt that attendances will still be crap at Sixfields.

We were talking about people attending under SISU control though, not at sixfields ;)

For the vast majority of fans the biggest single factor is how well the club is doing. If we were at the Ricoh, under SISU, and had a hint of success the fans would soon be coming back. You only need to look at the JPT game to see that.

Of course there will be some that won't return until SISU are gone but I'd be surprised if that was even in the hundreds let alone thousands.

The Gentleman

So Southampton, derby, Brighton etc. only saw increased attendance for 3 games?

The tourist thing is interesting. People on here would have you believe everyone in Coventry loves it. A man who lives in a high rise in wood end could lose his job and his family in one day but would still go to bed content that the council are stopping a nasty wasty hedge fund from stealing the Ricoh. That knowledge alone means contentment for the citizens of our fair city.

Chiefdave has done the Southampton ones, Derby have always been a well supported club and Brighton have done a lot better lately. I think you are wrong in using the Ricoh as a pull factor and I'm sure if you asked Southampton, Derby or Brighton fans they would say that it wasn't the metal frames or concrete foundations that brought them back. As someone else said, with football fans (we are a fickle bunch) it is what goes on on the green rectangle which is the pulling power for any football team (well most anyway). Sometimes I do wonder if you are a true football fan because sometimes the things you say aren't quite what a fan would say or what one would think. It seems the case that you like to entice some posters on here into arguments just so you can pull up quotes from long ago for whatever reason.

Grendel

Chiefdave has done the Southampton ones, Derby have always been a well supported club and Brighton have done a lot better lately. I think you are wrong in using the Ricoh as a pull factor and I'm sure if you asked Southampton, Derby or Brighton fans they would say that it wasn't the metal frames or concrete foundations that brought them back. As someone else said, with football fans (we are a fickle bunch) it is what goes on on the green rectangle which is the pulling power for any football team (well most anyway). Sometimes I do wonder if you are a true football fan because sometimes the things you say aren't quite what a fan would say or what one would think. It seems the case that you like to entice some posters on here into arguments just so you can pull up quotes from long ago for whatever reason.

Frankly that is so absurd i am speechless. The crap that some posters come up with must be challenged.

The stadium had NO effect? We had 25,000 versus Colchester!

Fucking hell

The Gentleman

Frankly that is so absurd i am speechless. The crap that some posters come up with must be challenged.

The stadium had NO effect? We had 25,000 versus Colchester!

Fucking hell

No i said it probably had an affect for 3 games, are you really trying to say that fans would rather go and look at a new stadium for a whole season? surely that has to the most boring thing in the world does stadium spotting in the same stadium. We were promised the land of milk and honey in the new stadium but sadly we got a bitter lemon in Sisu and look what happened. So just to be sure are you saying a new stadium would bring the fans back in their thousands, because I would like to know if you think that a new stadium built a few miles outside the city boundary would still have us flocking back? Because from what I can gather from what you are saying, you say we will.

Grendel

No i said it probably had an affect for 3 games, are you really trying to say that fans would rather go and look at a new stadium for a whole season? surely that has to the most boring thing in the world does stadium spotting in the same stadium. We were promised the land of milk and honey in the new stadium but sadly we got a bitter lemon in Sisu and look what happened. So just to be sure are you saying a new stadium would bring the fans back in their thousands, because I would like to know if you think that a new stadium built a few miles outside the city boundary would still have us flocking back? Because from what I can gather from what you are saying, you say we will.

3 games? Sorry this is absurd. Why then were the attendances all higher at the Ricoh than highfiekd road in the championship bar the last season there?

Why?

The Gentleman

3 games? Sorry this is absurd. Why then were the attendances all higher at the Ricoh than highfiekd road in the championship bar the last season there?

Why?

As I said we were promised a new beginning but to say that fans go because we are in a new stadium is the absurd suggestion. Again then I'll ask my question, do you think that attendances will go through the roof again at a new stadium 7 miles outside the city boundary?

Grendel

As I said we were promised a new beginning but to say that fans go because we are in a new stadium is the absurd suggestion. Again then I'll ask my question, do you think that attendances will go through the roof again at a new stadium 7 miles outside the city boundary?

We performed no better at the start and mcginnity etc were still in charge.

Richardson always said the new stadium would swell grounds by 25% and quoted stadiums as examples of this. Its frankly bonkers to suggest the crowds 2 or 3 years (not games) into the Ricoh against the likes of Scunthorpe and Colchester would have been matched at highfiekd road.

I don't even see what the other comment you've made is to do with anything. What's 7 miles to do with anything?

I hate to plagiarise MMM but frankly we are done here.

The Gentleman

We performed no better at the start and mcginnity etc were still in charge.

Richardson always said the new stadium would swell grounds by 25% and quoted stadiums as examples of this. Its frankly bonkers to suggest the crowds 2 or 3 years (not games) into the Ricoh against the likes of Scunthorpe and Colchester would have been matched at highfiekd road.

I don't even see what the other comment you've made is to do with anything. What's 7 miles to do with anything?

I hate to plagiarise MMM but frankly we are done here.

You said that attendances increase when teams get new stadiums, I simply asked you if Sisu/Otium built a new stadium a few miles outside the city boundary (not the centre) then do you still stand by your predictions that attendances would increase from what they were at the Ricoh? Simple question really.

bigfatronssba

Here are the attendences for the first season at the Ricoh. Its clear the crowds at the start of the season were high due to new stadium syndrome. However these high crowds soon drop off after a bad run of form. Just one game in November and December saw a 20k plus crowd. Then the city went on a good run, and the attendances shot up, by the end of the season they were far higher than they were at the start.

Now if higher attendances were only to do with a new ground, why would the attendances be higher at the end of the season than the start?

20/08/2005 QPR 23000 W
29/08/2005 SOUTHAMPTON 23000 D
10/09/2005 READING 22074 D
24/09/2005 HULL 21161 L
28/09/2005 WATFORD 16978 W
15/10/2005 CRYSTAL PALACE 24438 L
29/10/2005 LUTON 22228 W
02/11/2005 STOKE 16617 L
19/11/2005 IPSWICH 18316 D
26/11/2005 NORWICH 20433 D
03/12/2005 PLYMOUTH 18796 W
10/12/2005 MILLWALL 16156 W
28/12/2005 CREWE 19045 D
02/01/2006 WOLVERHAMPTON 26851 W
21/01/2006 DERBY 20267 W
04/02/2006 BRIGHTON 20541 W
15/02/2006 SHEFF WED 20021 W
25/02/2006 BURNLEY 19641 W
11/03/2006 SHEFF UTD 23506 W
18/03/2006 LEEDS 26643 D
01/04/2006 PNE 21023 L
17/04/2006 LEICESTER 26672 D
30/04/2006 CARDIFF 22536 W

Last edited:

chiefdave

So the question would be why, when other clubs have managed to maintain this higher level of support following a move, did ours drop back down? The only answer I can think of is lack of success, or even the prospect of success, on the pitch.

skybluetony176

You said that attendances increase when teams get new stadiums, I simply asked you if Sisu/Otium built a new stadium a few miles outside the city boundary (not the centre) then do you still stand by your predictions that attendances would increase from what they were at the Ricoh? Simple question really.

I can answer that. I reckon that they will double.

Double from 2000 to 4000 then steadily drop as we continue to fall down the leagues until "CCFC" are getting whipped by all the other local non league teams. Still, sisu will have the pie money. Every cloud........

Astute

The one factor you have to include is the impact initially of a new stadium - look at the average rise that gives and then factor that out.

Your prior to the ricoh crowds show the true average. Decline started after season one at the new ground. Other than 2008 to 2009 the decline back to pre Ricoh levels is incredibly consistent year on year.

Would you like to explain what went wrong the last time we moved to a new ground then? We moved to Northampton and kept getting our lowest crowds ever or getting the lowest 10 crowds ever. All in a new ground as well :thinking about:

shmmeee

You get about a 30% boost from a new stadium.

So about 500 fans on our current gates ;)

Kingokings204

Denying the plan was ever to distress ACL to get the stadium “on the cheap”, she said: “The council owns the freehold and has a right of re-entry. So in the event of ACL going bust they could take the lease over anyway and continue to run the stadium. This also means that if somebody went in to buy ACL, the council had the right to refuse the assignment, whoever that buyer was.

“I am focussing on the future and not looking back.”

She is irritated by any impression that no rent at all was paid since last April, when the club began withdrawing the full £100,000-a-month payment, claiming it was unfairly above market rate.

Ms Seppala said the club had continued to pay matchday costs, adding: “Broadly speaking, the council still owes the club £400,000 with a rates rebate. The club owed net rent of £600,000. The result is that we owed £200,000 net.

“We didn’t want to distress ACL, but the club couldn’t afford to pay the rent, especially given the Financial Fair Play rules (which limits spending on the team to 60pc of revenue). We wanted to do a deal (with the council and ACL). We wanted to go together to Yorkshire Bank (to buy out ACL’s “mortgage” for cheaper than the £14million the council paid in January).

“Then, at the end of November, we were told the council wouldn’t approve the deal over the 50 per cent Higgs share.”

Interestingly we have all missed the point the club were expecting the rebate of 400k from overcharging and I think joy actually explains it all rather well with these few quotes. I've never really bought the whole distress ACL bit as I've always thought even if ACL go bust as joy says the council will decide what to do as they own the freehold so makes no difference to sisu anyway.

chiefdave

Interestingly we have all missed the point the club were expecting the rebate of 400k from overcharging.

Have we? Is that a different rebate to the one the council paid to SISU that has been discussed at length on here? Worth point out the rent was owed to ACL and the rebate due from the council so at no point did we owe £200K net. If you have a £1000 bill from N Power but BT owe you £500 you don't say you only owe N Power £500 do you?!

skybluetony176

Have we? Is that a different rebate to the one the council paid to SISU that has been discussed at length on here? Worth point out the rent was owed to ACL and the rebate due from the council so at no point did we owe £200K net. If you have a £1000 bill from N Power but BT owe you £500 you don't say you only owe N Power £500 do you?!

It wasn't even the council that owed the money. They are just a mechanism for payment or refund. A bit like using PayPal.

bigfatronssba

Denying the plan was ever to distress ACL to get the stadium “on the cheap”, she said: “The council owns the freehold and has a right of re-entry. So in the event of ACL going bust they could take the lease over anyway and continue to run the stadium. This also means that if somebody went in to buy ACL, the council had the right to refuse the assignment, whoever that buyer was.

“I am focussing on the future and not looking back.”

She is irritated by any impression that no rent at all was paid since last April, when the club began withdrawing the full £100,000-a-month payment, claiming it was unfairly above market rate.

Ms Seppala said the club had continued to pay matchday costs, adding: “Broadly speaking, the council still owes the club £400,000 with a rates rebate. The club owed net rent of £600,000. The result is that we owed £200,000 net.

“We didn’t want to distress ACL, but the club couldn’t afford to pay the rent, especially given the Financial Fair Play rules (which limits spending on the team to 60pc of revenue). We wanted to do a deal (with the council and ACL). We wanted to go together to Yorkshire Bank (to buy out ACL’s “mortgage” for cheaper than the £14million the council paid in January).

“Then, at the end of November, we were told the council wouldn’t approve the deal over the 50 per cent Higgs share.”

Interestingly we have all missed the point the club were expecting the rebate of 400k from overcharging and I think joy actually explains it all rather well with these few quotes. I've never really bought the whole distress ACL bit as I've always thought even if ACL go bust as joy says the council will decide what to do as they own the freehold so makes no difference to sisu anyway.

If she is focusing on the future and not looking back, why are we having a JR into past events?

Matchday costs are not rent. The fact that someone in her position does not know this is concerning.

What is this rebate she is on about? The one that she received 5 months ago?

If the club cant afford the rent, how will it afford the interest payments of a new stadium?

Also the rent has nothing to do with FFP. Again the fact she doesn't know this is concerning, especially as the current destruction of the club is based on this.

Strange that she is admitting alleged illegal activity in that she and the council were conspiring to damage the financial and commercial interests of Yorkshire Bank.

All in all she comes across as a bit of a daft cow, and if these comments are a sample of the best she can come up with then next week will be interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread