Simms and Wright ..... (1 Viewer)

False9

Gyokeres is a million miles better than both , the comparisons are mental
Of course he is a better all round player, he's going to cost £60-80m in the summer. Probably a top ten centre forward in world football.

On pure G/A they both compare favourably to Vik at 23 (Simms) and last season (wright). The comparison just demonstrates how unfair the criticism has been.

PVA

Simms hasn't scored a single goal against any team in the top half of the championship.

He's scored 6 goals against teams in the bottom 5
And 3 against non league Maidstone United.

Just saying.

Wait, it's easier to score goals against shit teams than good teams?!

fake-faint.gif

Evo1883

Of course he is a better all round player, he's going to cost £60-80m in the summer. Probably a top ten centre forward in world football.

On pure G/A they both compare favourably to Vik at 23 (Simms) and last season (wright). The comparison just demonstrates how unfair the criticism has been.

If we just go purely on pass completion liam kelly compares favourably to rodri based off last night

False9

If we just go purely on pass completion liam kelly compares favourably to rodri based off last night
Yea sure if you want to ignore that they are playing in different competitions and the one game sample size.

Evo1883

Yea sure if you want to ignore that they are playing in different competitions and the one game sample size.
Point is he's not doing anything remotely close in his all round game to what vik was for us .. as long as he scores goals great , can't control a ball and can't head a ball but also can't take a man on

Haji wright needs to stay on his feet when trying to win a duel

False9

Point is he's not doing anything remotely close in his all round game to what vik was for us .. as long as he scores goals great , can't control a ball amd can't head a ball can't take a man on
Gyokeres was a one off at this level, no one is going to be a one man attack.

As a team we have more points and more goals than this stage last season. Despite needing a transitional period.

wingy

Point is he's not doing anything remotely close in his all round game to what vik was for us .. as long as he scores goals great , can't control a ball and can't head a ball but also can't take a man on

Was the first time he's been manhandled like that since he's joined us?
Would expect him to rise to the challenge, part of his development?

wingy

Wright was getting his shirt pulled a lot and everytime it went into Simms he was pushed in the back.

They'll have to get used to it like Vik did
Not sure but I thought a little frustration was shown, I'd expect aggression to follow.

edgy

Not sure but I thought a little frustration was shown, I'd expect aggression to follow.

I noticed a bit from Haji to be honest. He'd been man-handled to the ground a couple of times and he almost/half threw a shoulder/elbow into an opponent. I said to my lad at the time, I want to see more of it. (to a point, obviously)

Mucca Mad Boys

Have you watched the movie Moneyball? The team in question loses their best player and the recruitment team say off the bat ‘we’re not going to replace that player’.

The reason for bringing that here is the same applies to Gyokeres. We were never going to get a player as good as him immediately. Firstly, he was far too good for the Championship. Secondly, we had too many positional needs to spend it all on one player - similar to Brentford signing Toney with the Watkins money.

Between Simms and Wright, they have more goals than Gyokeres did last season. Obviously they’re not better than him, but we’ve managed to replace his goals.

Both players will develop and both players will benefit from starting more games next season, you’d think.

covcity4life

I still don't understand how coventry fans keep comparing ellis simms with gyokeres , who scored 17 league goals in his first full season, and 21 the following , who could carry the ball up the pitch and score form his own half and is now potentially a top 10 forward in world football
He couldn't finish according to @Earlsdon_Skyblue1 though.....

shmmeee

Last season we were more of a break away team. Most of our goals were from quick turnovers. Not sure we have the players for this ATM. That said I wish we were clearing the ball out of defence quicker. Against Preston their second was down to that, I would argue the 1st wouldn’t have happened if we had ran out as soon as the corner was knocked up field. Last night we were close to giving the ball away and a better opponent may have got something.

Not convinced with the defence right now.

Needs to settle I think.

He genuinely couldn’t. Should have had 50 last season. Only seen his goals in Portugal so assume he’s either improved or should be on 100 by now lol

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What are you talking about? Both players have improved as the season has gone on, but started out pretty poorly. Simms for one has only really started performing in the last month or two and looks a different player to the one we saw before Christmas. I don't see how anyone can really argue with that from a serious perspective. If you are talking about Vik then I think it is pretty well regarded that he is one of the best players we've had in the modern day. Saying he missed a few easy chances doesn't change that, and I was one of his biggest advocates after his loan spell here when he was written off by Swansea and a lot of our fans. It was pretty clear his grit and determination stood out.

I think it's quite unhealthy that you spend most of your time on this forum trying to antagonise people. I feel sorry for you because sometimes you can be really nice, but something has gone wrong somewhere either in your childhood or your current life to behave in such a fashion so frequently. Sort yourself out.

shmmeee

What are you talking about? Both players have improved as the season has gone on, but started out pretty poorly. Simms for one has only really started performing in the last month or two and looks a different player to the one we saw before Christmas. I don't see how anyone can really argue with that from a serious perspective.

I think it's quite unhealthy that you spend most of your time on this forum trying to antagonise people. I feel sorry for you because sometimes you can be really nice, but something has gone wrong somewhere either in your childhood or your current life to behave in such a fashion so frequently. Sort yourself out.

he’s talking about vik

Bad Boy

It's difficult to be quick and decisive when the opposition are sat with 10/11 players behind the ball though. It's when they have the ball and we turn it over that we need to be quick and direct, which generally we're pretty good at.
Precisely PVA, when we win the ball back just steam into them.

Evo1883

Needs to settle I think.

He genuinely couldn’t. Should have had 50 last season. Only seen his goals in Portugal so assume he’s either improved or should be on 100 by now lol
Gyokeres performed as expected , slightly higher tbh Screenshot_20240306_131928_Chrome.jpg

Evo1883

Yeah but that consisted of absolute worldview he shouldn’t have scored plus missing a load of sitters. At least that’s how it felt.

You don't get a big European move if you can't finish , sure like every player he missed a few chances

shmmeee

You don't get a big European move if you can't finish , sure like every player he missed a few chances

Well if you’re scoring 20+ anyway and tearing teams apart single handed you probably do. Anyway, he’s a top top striker, I’m just saying he could have blown the league away Mitrovic style with a bit more luck.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

We had a world class striker in waiting in Gyokeres, Simms and Haji arent quite that but are for sure premier league material in the future, I’d say Haji is closer to Prem material as he has a little bit more about his game, but Simms has age on his side

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I mean Simms has actually played and scored in the Prem.
Thats a very good point, I think he needs a slight bit more, I’ve been one of those thats been backing him. Everton deemed him good enough last year to lead their line every now and then so its in him. There’s a little bit that can be tidied up and I think bang ready, Haji I think just needs to use his body a bit better he’s 6ft4 and not exactly skinny if he learns to do that he’s 100% ready he’s capable, they both are

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We had a world class striker in waiting in Gyokeres, Simms and Haji arent quite that but are for sure premier league material in the future, I’d say Haji is closer to Prem material as he has a little bit more about his game, but Simms has age on his side
Neither of these two players are premier league material unless they undergo a monumental improvement. By the same token lots of other championship strikers are premier league material as well.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Simms hasn't scored a single goal against any team in the top half of the championship.

Just saying.

Mc14 GIF by MasterChefAU

Mucca Mad Boys

Just saying.

The only teams we’ve beaten in the top half is Sunderland & Leicester…

Gyokeres’ scored 12 goals against bottom half teams and a goal against Wrexham in the cup last season. Do they not count either?

Users who are viewing this thread