Simms and Wright ..... (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

All very positive. The way things were a couple of months ago, it would have reasonable to set targets of 12 for Simms and 15 for wright for the season. Particularly because they were in their first season with us, and goals were coming from all over the squad.

What next? I’m hoping the critics try to ‘be more fan’.

fatso

...have scored 24 goals between them this season. Exactly the same number that Gyokeres and Hamer had scored between them at this stage last season. Just saying.
Simms hasn't scored a single goal against any team in the top half of the championship.

He's scored 6 goals against teams in the bottom 5
And 3 against non league Maidstone United.

Just saying.

exhallskyblue

Simms hasn't scored a single goal against any team in the top half of the championship.

Just saying.
And if he didn’t score against Rotherham. He would have been slated for being sh*t. When he scores it’s down to sh*t opposition.
I agree he wasn’t great against wba or for most parts of the season, but he is now finally scoring

Evo1883

...have scored 24 goals between them this season. Exactly the same number that Gyokeres and Hamer had scored between them at this stage last season. Just saying.
I suppose the main difference is hamer is a central midfielder

shmmeee

Play him in just inside the box he will score 20 a season. He’s Micky Quinn not Vik. The problem against better teams is a team problem of being to slow and ponderous to unlock defences

His third (?) yesterday was all because Kitching played a great first time ball to Bidwell who in turn hit a great first time cross. No time for the opposition to set themselves. We need to do a lot more of that. It’s why Kelly frustrates me so much in the middle

Evo1883

I still don't understand how coventry fans keep comparing ellis simms with gyokeres , who scored 17 league goals in his first full season, and 21 the following , who could carry the ball up the pitch and score form his own half and is now potentially a top 10 forward in world football

Hobo

Just saying.

What about at Sunderland? He scored for Everton away at Chelsea.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Fuck me.

Hobo

Just saying.

There are more goals in this year's team than last year's team. What has held this season back was the early bedding in period and 12 draws. If we had lost two of those 12, in exchange for two more victories we would be right on track.

Just saying.

skybluericoh

If, if, if.
if Doug was an oil Barron billionaire
If a ball had hit his shin and gone in
If I won the Euro millions.
I have trust in MR and his team to do what is right for the club. Always believed that ES would come good. Start of the season I thought around 12th following the PO miss last season and a total rebuild would be OK . We had some real bad luck with injuries in the middle, a good cup run and still sniffing around the playoffs. Simms now scoring could do with Wright chipping in a few more, but I believe we are a strong outfit this season than last but need more depth to mount a strong promotion push next season.
Would be delighted if it did happen this season, but just pleased the way things are going

Hobo

A couple of points last night on Simms. It was a perfect hat trick, one with his head, one with his left and one with his right.

His second goal, he laid it off on the halfway line ran into their penalty area and finished the move with a smart finish.

Macca

His third (?) yesterday was all because Kitching played a great first time ball to Bidwell who in turn hit a great first time cross. No time for the opposition to set themselves. We need to do a lot more of that. It’s why Kelly frustrates me so much in the middle

Exactly. We need to do more of that instead of the cautious fannying about. Getting in the opposition face is our best chance given our remaining fixtures

PVA

I thought last night was the first time the two of them looked a partnership.

Obviously earlier in the season it was mostly Godden + Simms/Wright, and when they did play together it didn't really work, then of course we switched to one up front.

But last night they actually linked up well a few times and it looked promising.

edit: ohhh @False9 you beat me to it by about 10 seconds!

Bad Boy

Our game is too slow and ponderous, when we play it quickly and decisive then our opponents struggle to cope. The lead up to Simms' third goal highlighted this.

skybluericoh

Our game is too slow and ponderous, when we play it quickly and decisive then our opponents struggle to cope. The lead up to Simms' third goal highlighted this.
Last season we were more of a break away team. Most of our goals were from quick turnovers. Not sure we have the players for this ATM. That said I wish we were clearing the ball out of defence quicker. Against Preston their second was down to that, I would argue the 1st wouldn’t have happened if we had ran out as soon as the corner was knocked up field. Last night we were close to giving the ball away and a better opponent may have got something.

Not convinced with the defence right now.

Reactions: KAB

Bad Boy

Last season we were more of a break away team. Most of our goals were from quick turnovers. Not sure we have the players for this ATM. That said I wish we were clearing the ball out of defence quicker. Against Preston their second was down to that, I would argue the 1st wouldn’t have happened if we had ran out as soon as the corner was knocked up field. Last night we were close to giving the ball away and a better opponent may have got something.

Not convinced with the defence right now.
Good observations sbr.

PVA

It's difficult to be quick and decisive when the opposition are sat with 10/11 players behind the ball though. It's when they have the ball and we turn it over that we need to be quick and direct, which generally we're pretty good at.

steve cooper

We’ve only won 2 games all season against top half teams.
We need to do the business against better quality opponents.
You say that, but only West Brom and Preston have taken maximum points from us so far. We still have Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton, Hull, Cardiff, and Watford to play from the current top half, so let's see at the end of the season how it looks. (E&OE)

Evo1883

Gyokeres is a million miles better than both , the comparisons are mental

116 games 43 goals 17 assists

Users who are viewing this thread