Sickness advice (1 Viewer)

ccfc92

Started feeling unwell 12 days ago, mainly the Saturday night. Went into work Monday to Wednesday, people knew I was ill. Managed an hour n half on the Thursday, then went home sick with I thought a sinus infection.

I've been off since then (don't work weekends) and a doctors appointment has been a right hassle. My surgery took me off their books, because I never physically went there as I signed up online and I only ever get small illnesses like sick bug etc so rarely ever actually need the doctors.

Went to new surgery yesterday, who told me to see pharmacist first before GP. She gave me cough medicine and to see how I go until Friday. So called 111 as I'd been ill for 11 days and wasn't getting better and ended up going to hospital, doctor said chest infection as well as sinus infection, prescribed antibiotics.

My manager has been very awkward, asking for proof of every little detail. I couldn't get an appointment Monday, so text him Tuesday saying I was going to doctors that day, all he text back was thought you had doctors yesterday?

Explained the hospital bit this morning to him over text and said I should be in tomorrow, he replied asking me to send a pic of my doctors note and what did GP say. I replied the above and a picture of my antibiotics, along with saying you self certify for 7 days.

It's not a massive company, probably 25 or so people, with only the ceo, md and sales director as "the board" and no HR dept.

Just stressing more about proving I'm ill than getting better, any advice please?

Tommo72

Started feeling unwell 12 days ago, mainly the Saturday night. Went into work Monday to Wednesday, people knew I was ill. Managed an hour n half on the Thursday, then went home sick with I thought a sinus infection.

I've been off since then (don't work weekends) and a doctors appointment has been a right hassle. My surgery took me off their books, because I never physically went there as I signed up online and I only ever get small illnesses like sick bug etc so rarely ever actually need the doctors.

Went to new surgery yesterday, who told me to see pharmacist first before GP. She gave me cough medicine and to see how I go until Friday. So called 111 as I'd been ill for 11 days and wasn't getting better and ended up going to hospital, doctor said chest infection as well as sinus infection, prescribed antibiotics.

My manager has been very awkward, asking for proof of every little detail. I couldn't get an appointment Monday, so text him Tuesday saying I was going to doctors that day, all he text back was thought you had doctors yesterday?

Explained the hospital bit this morning to him over text and said I should be in tomorrow, he replied asking me to send a pic of my doctors note and what did GP say. I replied the above and a picture of my antibiotics, along with saying you self certify for 7 days.

It's not a massive company, probably 25 or so people, with only the ceo, md and sales director as "the board" and no HR dept.

Just stressing more about proving I'm ill than getting better, any advice please?

Self cert covers you so shouldn’t be an issue. If you are off sick you are sick and he shouldn’t be bothering you, hence the need for the self cert document.

Unfortunately small businesses often play hard ball because of the impact it may have with you not being there etc. On return you should receive a ‘return to work’ interview/meeting where your suitability to return is discussed etc.

You have nothing to worry about.

Grendel

7 days is a long time to be self certified are you sure it’s not 5 week days?

ccfc92

Self cert covers you so shouldn’t be an issue. If you are off sick you are sick and he shouldn’t be bothering you, hence the need for the self cert document.

Unfortunately small businesses often play hard ball because of the impact it may have with you not being there etc. On return you should receive a ‘return to work’ interview/meeting where your suitability to return is discussed etc.

You have nothing to worry about.

Thank you, it's just frustrating receiving snidey messages when you're feeling unwell, even though the other director saw how ill I was last week.

Grendel

According to Google/NHS, its 7 consecutive days including days you don't normally work (weekends, Bank hols etc)

JLR was 5. How long have you been off?

Grendel

I went home on the Thursday after hour and a half.

So in full, Friday then Monday to today and I plan to go in tomorrow. So 4 whole work days.

Oh I thought it was longer - they can technically ask for some evidence but I don’t see why they would really. There will be a form to complete but you’ve kept them updated anyway so there’s no issue - i wouldn’t antagonise him though as despite rules are rules companies create their own rules unofficially all the time

ccfc92

Oh I thought it was longer - they can technically ask for some evidence but I don’t see why they would really. There will be a form to complete but you’ve kept them updated anyway so there’s no issue - i wouldn’t antagonise him though as despite rules are rules companies create their own rules unofficially all the time

Yeah that's definitely this place. There's moving goalposts and there's this place.

I sent him a WhatsApp picture of my antibiotics which shows yesterday's date on it as some proof. He's read it and not replied, and I said the GP said 7 days self certify so I don't sound like I'm being smart over the message.

If I hadn't been messed around with GP appointment, I could have been better earlier. But at the same time, I'm physically unwell, slept for about 20 hours a day over Saturday to Monday and with my ears from the sinus infection, felt like I can't stand up for longer than a few minutes.

I'm still deaf from it and I work on the phone, so I don't see how that's going to work tomorrow...

Sky Blue Pete

Yep you need a fit note on the 8th day of absence before then you can self certify. The dr at the hospital can provide a fit note if necessary.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I already know what my epitaph on my gravestone will read... "See! I told you I was ill!"

Houchens Head

Years ago (17) just after my 2nd Heart attack, I had to undergo heart surgery. After I was allowed home, I was sat in my garden, resting and who should come to see me, but my line manager and HR rep. They said they were "just passing and thought we'd pop in!", but to this day, I think they hadn't believed me. Anyway, I just opened up my dressing gown (which I was wearing for comfort) and showed them my scar. It was as below. They soon apologised for disturbing me and said to take my time coming back in to work! :D
glued-incision.jpg

Marty

My employers have been really good with me and my illness, I have been off about 7 months now and they only contact me once a month for an update, lasts about 20 mins and then I just carry on with my day. I suppose once you get the NHS involved, then they can clearly see it's something genuine. I'm meant to be going back for a phased return at the start of September.

Sbarcher

Years ago (17) just after my 2nd Heart attack, I had to undergo heart surgery. After I was allowed home, I was sat in my garden, resting and who should come to see me, but my line manager and HR rep. They said they were "just passing and thought we'd pop in!", but to this day, I think they hadn't believed me. Anyway, I just opened up my dressing gown (which I was wearing for comfort) and showed them my scar. It was as below. They soon apologised for disturbing me and said to take my time coming back in to work! :D
View attachment 12810
HH - you poor bugger. I’d sue for chopping off your arms for a heart operation.

Mcbean

Most important Chest infection - really rest and the symptoms should subside with the drugs but if you keep going it will go very slowly - keep drinking water , get some bananas - in reality you go back to work - you will be working less effectively and could infect someone else - your boss is pretty shortsighted

wingy

Was of two weeks about a month ago
Same problem
Went back in after 3rd day
Knocked me back
Ended up on antibiotics then steroids to clear it up
Absolutely no point trying to rush back as just completely drained

ccfc92

I went back in today, funny enough the manager in question wasn't in and isn't back until next Friday.

The CEO joked oh we've got a newcomer and seemed fine, yet the manager said he was demanding to see a sick note?

The sales director who is effectively in charge as the MD isn't there, sent me home after half an hour because I can't hear properly and apparently my cough sounds really bad.

They asked why I went in and I said because of the way the manager was texting me and they didn't seem too happy with him, so it's good in a way I guess.

chiefdave

I went back in today, funny enough the manager in question wasn't in and isn't back until next Friday.

The CEO joked oh we've got a newcomer and seemed fine, yet the manager said he was demanding to see a sick note?

The sales director who is effectively in charge as the MD isn't there, sent me home after half an hour because I can't hear properly and apparently my cough sounds really bad.

They asked why I went in and I said because of the way the manager was texting me and they didn't seem too happy with him, so it's good in a way I guess.
Never understand the desperation from some managers to get sick people to come into the office. Just ends up with loads of other people being ill and needing time off.

ccfc92

Never understand the desperation from some managers to get sick people to come into the office. Just ends up with loads of other people being ill and needing time off.

I agree, it's better to lose 1 person than several. Especially when they know I'm genuinely ill with a virus/infection. If it was a hangover etc, I'd see his point.

He's just one of them people who's "never been sick" and he came back in a week after his wife died etc, then uses that against people who are off sick.

It's weird though, because he's actually sound at work. It's just when you're ill.

ccfc92

Most important Chest infection - really rest and the symptoms should subside with the drugs but if you keep going it will go very slowly - keep drinking water , get some bananas - in reality you go back to work - you will be working less effectively and could infect someone else - your boss is pretty shortsighted

I'd never heard of the bananas thing, but I'm currently at home with a bunch and looking like a little chimp, so willing to give it a go :)

chiefdave

He's just one of them people who's "never been sick" and he came back in a week after his wife died etc, then uses that against people who are off sick.
When my Nan died, which happened to be on a weekend the first thing I got Monday morning from my boss was a complaint that I hadn't answered a query at the weekend (I don't work weekends anyway) followed by a comment on how busy we were. I was allowed 1 day off for the funeral and that was it. Few months later one of his grandparents died and he was off for 2 weeks!

ccfc92

When my Nan died, which happened to be on a weekend the first thing I got Monday morning from my boss was a complaint that I hadn't answered a query at the weekend (I don't work weekends anyway) followed by a comment on how busy we were. I was allowed 1 day off for the funeral and that was it. Few months later one of his grandparents died and he was off for 2 weeks!

That's so hypocritical! The problem is, some people just don't know how to address/speak to people, but they still become managers and end up just making themselves hated.

This guy I'm on about, me and him get on really well, but he can never give a meeting and motivate. He just can't present things in a positive, encouraging manner. It's the whole floor that feels this way too, so it's not like it's just my opinion.

ccfc92

View attachment 12810

That definitely trumps my little cough HH! :D

I am amazed they did that, leaving themselves open for legal action by doing that!

Houchens Head

HH - you poor bugger. I’d sue for chopping off your arms for a heart operation.
When I woke up in hospital, I screamed out "Doctor, doctor! I can't fell my legs!" He said, "I'm not surprised! We've chopped yer bleedin' arms off!"

Houchens Head

That definitely trumps my little cough HH! :D

I am amazed they did that, leaving themselves open for legal action by doing that!
To be fair, they were a really good company and allowed me as much time as I needed. If I remember, I had about 7 months off in total before I was fully fit again. Only thing was, they could only pay me full wages on the sick for 3 months (I was a manager), so I ended up having to get a loan just to pay mortgage and other bills. (That's where my PPI payment came from a few weeks ago). (see my PPI thread)

Users who are viewing this thread