Should we name and shame (1 Viewer)

stevefloyd

Sorry but I have to see the funny side.... ‘you can stick your fucking seagulls up your arse’ does tickle me...
Me too, some of the songs are funny as long as its harmless fun but I cannot tolerate lack of respect really pisses me off

SkyBlueRuffian

Upper class people can be abusive and vulgar. Class is no excuse for unacceptable behaviour.
Generally football hooligism is a working class problem, not saying there’s no middle classes scrapping at football matches, but generally hooligans firms are working class.

Nick

Administrator
It's not even really hooliganism from what I've seen, it's just bellends who don't know how to act in public.

Skyblueweeman

It's a shame that recently, we've seem to have seen an upturn in idiotic fans. Is it a genuine upturn or are we becoming less tolerant of it?

I try to think back to when I was in my teens and what I was like. Although I liked a beer and a sing song, I genuinely don't think I was near as bad as some of the idiots today.

I do think we live in a snowflake society and I do get annoyed when people take the slightest offence to things that they shouldn't be getting offended at. Like those kids t-shirts in Asda (I think)...sure one of them said something like Top Boy or something like that and a parent complained as it wasn't gender neutral. Now that, is stupid.

People are however right to complain about racist or homophobic chanting. It's simply not on. Especially after the recent tributes paid to big Cyrille, a man who suffered loads. I also think that dropping the c-bomb around women and children just shows a total lack of respect, judgment and morality.

Maybe that's just me though..

Nick

Administrator
It's a shame that recently, we've seem to have seen an upturn in idiotic fans. Is it a genuine upturn or are we becoming less tolerant of it?

I try to think back to when I was in my teens and what I was like. Although I liked a beer and a sing song, I genuinely don't think I was near as bad as some of the idiots today.

I do think we live in a snowflake society and I do get annoyed when people take the slightest offence to things that they shouldn't be getting offended at. Like those kids t-shirts in Asda (I think)...sure one of them said something like Top Boy or something like that and a parent complained as it wasn't gender neutral. Now that, is stupid.

People are however right to complain about racist or homophobic chanting. It's simply not on. Especially after the recent tributes paid to big Cyrille, a man who suffered loads. I also think that dropping the c-bomb around women and children just shows a total lack of respect, judgment and morality.

That's the thing when it comes to women and children being there and people still giving it loads. Don't get me wrong when me and my mates are together it's C bombs, F bombs constantly but if we went to somebodies house and their wife / kids were there we would tone it down completely.

It's just general manners, I remember getting on the bus once to go out in town with a lad I know who was a horrible bastard and would probably have no qualms on stamping on somebodies face for being looked at the wrong way but he made sure everybody moved to let an old woman sit down.

If I am at a game with my daughter who is 8 I have no issue when people get frustrated if we miss a shot and give it the odd "for fuck sake" or a "oh shit" if we concede. Some people though go over the top to the point it doesn't make sense the way they are using the words.

wingy

You know what WM ,there are plenty of Women around who know how to Cus, kids too .
But yes It would be better If people refrain ,I used to feel so embarressed for letting myself go at the game couldn't help myself with anger at refs or cheating .
I just don't feel anything like that at the Rugby, It's rooted in partisan guff from the 70's with me I think.

Gosford Green

Every club has a section of mentally retarted homophobic cunts among its fan base, CCFC facebook groups were full of such in the run up to the Brighton match.

In the 70s and 80s it was racism which thankfully has now all but gone and would not be tolerated, it will be a few years yet before homophobia gets t he same taboo.

italiahorse

Every club has a section of mentally retarted homophobic cunts among its fan base, CCFC facebook groups were full of such in the run up to the Brighton match.

In the 70s and 80s it was racism which thankfully has now all but gone and would not be tolerated, it will be a few years yet before homophobia gets t he same taboo.

It's already not acceptable to most people.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

That Facebook group is laughable, the cov fans forum. Some of the posts are just embarrassing.

On the upside, let’s be fair, there was no loud or audible homophobic chanting in the stands on Saturday.

NortonSkyBlue

Yes there was racism but especially in the 70's there were only a few non white players so you cant say it was racism, it was tribalism, it was more violence orientated rather than specific verbals, even in the 80's when there were more coloured players the fact that your team had them made it less likely that the verbals got out of hand.
In the 80's the violence was more contained, it was not on the scale of the 70's when it was almost an occupational hazard if you went to a match.

Skyblueweeman

You know what WM ,there are plenty of Women around who know how to Cus, kids too .
But yes It would be better If people refrain ,I used to feel so embarressed for letting myself go at the game couldn't help myself with anger at refs or cheating .
I just don't feel anything like that at the Rugby, It's rooted in partisan guff from the 70's with me I think.

Yeah, that's a fair point Wingy, I don't disagree. I think you're just more likely to see if from blokes though but you are right.

And like you (and Nick has pointed out above) we've all be guilty of shouting obscenities in moments of frustration. It's just having a decent moral compass to acknowledge when it oversteps the line, particularly with women and kids around.

I still go back to my wifes experience at MK Dons. She said she wouldn't go back because of it...although I'm sure she sees the desperation on my face every Saturday and that's the real reason!

As a club, we need to do more to encourage more woman and children to matches. This doesn't help and I must stress...99.8% of our fans are great. It's the minority who don't do us any favours (and it's the same at every club to be fair). Bad language just needs to be considered dependant on the environment. Racism/Homophobia needs to stop completely.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

We have fantastic away fans , I won’t say a bad word about them
I think herein lies the problem. Whilst I would say at least 80% of our away support are fantastic, there are without question a bunch of bell ends that I would quite happily see never come to a game again & pretending they don't exist or saying they're fine is part of the problem. I was lucky at Brighton, nearly everyone I was sat around was fantastic, out of nowhere around the 85th minute I heard someone a few rows behind me shout at their keeper 'F**k off you... you f**king foreigner.' He didn't even really know what to say, just wanted to make sure he abused him in some way and decided his nationality was the way he was going to go. It was absolutely embarrassing. I spoke to a few mates who were sat elsewhere in the ground commenting how much better the fans were than say at MK, he wasn't quite so lucky and said he had a bunch of homophobic racists around him. A lot depends on who you're lucky/unlucky enough to sit around and it can hugely shape how good your experience is. Like I said, the vast majority of our fans are superb, but let's not pretend we don't have our fair share of scumbags.

Irish Sky Blue

Yeah, that's a fair point Wingy, I don't disagree. I think you're just more likely to see if from blokes though but you are right.

And like you (and Nick has pointed out above) we've all be guilty of shouting obscenities in moments of frustration. It's just having a decent moral compass to acknowledge when it oversteps the line, particularly with women and kids around.

I still go back to my wifes experience at MK Dons. She said she wouldn't go back because of it...although I'm sure she sees the desperation on my face every Saturday and that's the real reason!

As a club, we need to do more to encourage more woman and children to matches. This doesn't help and I must stress...99.8% of our fans are great. It's the minority who don't do us any favours (and it's the same at every club to be fair). Bad language just needs to be considered dependant on the environment. Racism/Homophobia needs to stop completely.
There is an edge to football that I like. At the football the result really matters to most of the people that go. (But probably not the idiots who spend most of their time looking at and goading the opposition fans). I attended Wales v Ireland rugby international last year and for most people there it seemed like an event. They wanted the greens or the reds to win but it didn’t matter as much as it would to a football fan. I think emotions for a football fan go to the extremes of the scale from elation or despair depending on the result. A friend I go to the football with told me he had been given free tickets to watch a Wasps game. ( Everone is entitled to one mistake). He said that during the match people were constantly up out of their seats to go to the bar or the food kiosks. I know on about 35 minutes we have the half time rush (which I don’t get as you miss a huge chunk of the game), but generally at football people are part of the action ( or in our case, the inaction). The thing is how do you keep that edge that football has and rugby hasn’t and still have a sport that families would come to and not be put off by thuggish behaviour.
My son brought a couple of friends with him to the Stoke game, one of them who occasionally goes to Wasps. The joy and the elation, the noise as we were leaving the stadium after that game was immense. I asked him was it like that after Wasps matches and he had to say no. We need to keep that but lose the morons who spoil the atmosphere and turn would-be fans away.

pusbccfc

Away games will always be different to home games. Over the past 5 years our away support has increased massively. Most are lads in their twenties who enjoy a day on the beer.

We're not Millwall, but we are not a family club like MK Dons or Forest Green. I am glad we have got that balance.

Irish Sky Blue

Away games will always be different to home games. Over the past 5 years our away support has increased massively. Most are lads in their twenties who enjoy a day on the beer.

We're not Millwall, but we are not a family club like MK Dons or Forest Green. I am glad we have got that balance.
You’re glad we are not a family club? That’s an awful lot of potential fans excluded from games.

Sba180

I do think we live in a snowflake society and I do get annoyed when people take the slightest offence..
A lot of those snowflakes post on here it seems. But to be honest I heard nothing or very little. One lad in a blue jacket being a dickhead outside the Lansdown pub in Lewes and one Indian bloke who pushed in front of me and my mate at the turnstiles and called a family of Brighton fans ‘poofs’ or ‘queers’ only for me to shut him down by asking “any need?” In the ground, however, I heard nothing and I was right next to the BHA fans on the left hand side as our fans looked out.

Tommo72

We are a big City club with a huge cross section of fans so inevitably we will see all sorts at games, always have done.

I agree we sit in the middle, we’re no Forest Green or similar but we are no angels too, potential for disorder is always around hence why we are often involved in higher profile games.....I do know a police intelligence officer (distant) and we are seen as a following that can cause problems.

Skyblueweeman

There is an edge to football that I like. At the football the result really matters to most of the people that go. (But probably not the idiots who spend most of their time looking at and goading the opposition fans). I attended Wales v Ireland rugby international last year and for most people there it seemed like an event. They wanted the greens or the reds to win but it didn’t matter as much as it would to a football fan. I think emotions for a football fan go to the extremes of the scale from elation or despair depending on the result. A friend I go to the football with told me he had been given free tickets to watch a Wasps game. ( Everone is entitled to one mistake). He said that during the match people were constantly up out of their seats to go to the bar or the food kiosks. I know on about 35 minutes we have the half time rush (which I don’t get as you miss a huge chunk of the game), but generally at football people are part of the action ( or in our case, the inaction). The thing is how do you keep that edge that football has and rugby hasn’t and still have a sport that families would come to and not be put off by thuggish behaviour.
My son brought a couple of friends with him to the Stoke game, one of them who occasionally goes to Wasps. The joy and the elation, the noise as we were leaving the stadium after that game was immense. I asked him was it like that after Wasps matches and he had to say no. We need to keep that but lose the morons who spoil the atmosphere and turn would-be fans away.

Yeah, agree with all of that. You get a like for admitting your one mistake!

In all seriousness though, I to love the atmosphere and tribal nature of football that is apparently different to egg chasing. Glad your son and his mates had a great time. It's the likes of those we need to encourage and it's a shame that the 0.02% of fans do their best to disrupt that notion.

oucho

I do not like to read comments like "you have to expect this kind of behaviour" and, in previous threads on this, we've seen things like "don't go to games if you can't put up with it", "it's part of the game", and so forth. No it fucking isn't.

In the 1970s it was common behaviour to shout "coon" and black players like Cyrille Regis, or throw bananas onto the pitch at him, or make ape noises in his direction. Thanks to many people saying "that's not part of the game and we don't accept it", even the knuckle draggers don't do this now. I've been to 91 of the current 92 grounds and only at Millwall did i encounter any racism of that type when i was in the home end and the oppo had a black keeper (Clayton Ince for Walsall). I've heard the occasional "town full of Pakis" at Man City now and again but that's it. It's pretty much gone from inside grounds at least, and thank God for it.

I hope the same "wipeout" can be achieved for homophobia and general abusive language at games. Maybe it's "part of the game" today but you wouldn't see that at other sports. I like a bit of banter at games like he next person but it doesn't need to be offensive. Just grow up, people who carry on like this just serve to give the game a bad name and embarrass/taint fellow fans generally.

steveo1987

I did chuckle to myself when some young lads were singing "Where were you when you were shit ".I seem to remember Brighton fans being very much there when they were shit ref Withdean stadium

Nick

Administrator
I did chuckle to myself when some young lads were singing "Where were you when you were shit ".I seem to remember Brighton fans being very much there when they were shit ref Withdean stadium

Reminds me of Blackpool away, 2 lads going apeshit about Oystons out.

Afterwards they were trying to figure out who Oyston was.

Irish Sky Blue

Yeah, agree with all of that. You get a like for admitting your one mistake!

In all seriousness though, I to love the atmosphere and tribal nature of football that is apparently different to egg chasing. Glad your son and his mates had a great time. It's the likes of those we need to encourage and it's a shame that the 0.02% of fans do their best to disrupt that notion.
Sorry to be a pedant. It wasn’t me that went to Wasps but a mate!

Ashdown

Its very much an age thing and dependent on who they go with. I do remember throwing around a lot of expletives when I went to most games with mates, especially at cheats, crap refs and officials. I was in my teens and twenties then and full of testosterone and good beer. When I started taking my daughters sometime later I toned it all down and cleaned up the language and started to appreciate and respect the mix of the crowd. Some never grow up though do they !
I like my rugby now as well but it will never have that loud, edgy tribalism that makes a football atmosphere so special.

steveo1987

Its very much an age thing and dependent on who they go with. I do remember throwing around a lot of expletives when I went to most games with mates, especially at cheats, crap refs and officials. I was in my teens and twenties then and full of testosterone and good beer. When I started taking my daughters sometime later I toned it all down and cleaned up the language and started to appreciate and respect the mix of the crowd. Some never grow up though do they !
I like my rugby now as well but it will never have that loud, edgy tribalism that makes a football atmosphere so special.

Torquay tribalism

Evo1883

We do seem to have a thread on this every few weeks or so by the “my shit don’t stink “ crew .

I get more offended by our dire home support not singing than I do at a few drunk lads away from home

Nick

Administrator
We do seem to have a thread on this every few weeks or so by the “my shit don’t stink “ crew .

I get more offended by our dire home support not singing than I do at a few drunk lads away from home
Maybe there's more noticing it every week or it's increasing as opposed to people excusing it?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was at the front, tight in the corner to the left of the goal next to the tarpaulin and Brighton fans. One of their supporters , about 6 rows from the front in a flat cap was goading the City fans constantly from the moment they scored. There were quite a few city fans getting totally pissed off with him and getting more and more irate . Something would have kicked off sooner or later but to their credit the stewards actually pulled him out and he disappeared. I was quite impressed with the stewarding .

pastythegreat

People wearing w***s clothing at a Cov match or kids wearing Barcelona shirts at a Cov match. Both of these offend me FAR more than somebody calling the ref a c**t.
Next time I see either am I to shop them in to the nearest copper and have them arrested, fined and banned for 4 years?!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread