short free kicks? (1 Viewer)

skybluegod

I don't understand why we take free kicks short they never work. Instead of trying a set play we try to move quickly and it never works and we lose he ball.

Countless times against Brentford we had a good free kick position from which we could get it into he box, but no we tried going short and they ended up with possession without us threatening. The one time we did cross into the box from a set piece we got a penalty.

Nonleagueherewecome

Look, it's a football thread! :eek:

Nonleagueherewecome

I tried to explain our situation to an Oxford Utd fan who works locally earlier..he interrupted with "sorry, you lost me at CCFC Holdings..."

Do we take short free-kicks? I thought that if they were in shooting range you'd have to pretty much tie Baker down to stop him having a crack. If the OP means passing it short when nowhere near the area rather than hoofing it forwards, well I'm all in favour of that.

We should mix in a few more short-corners, though. They were our most effective option last season with Sheff and Baker working the ball. I think Cyrus could attack the gap at the near post after coming narrow-there's been loads of space there that he could have hit in the last two home games, and the kid's got his shooting boots on at the moment, so why not?

skybluegod

I tried to explain our situation to an Oxford Utd fan who works locally earlier..he interrupted with "sorry, you lost me at CCFC Holdings..."

Do we take short free-kicks? I thought that if they were in shooting range you'd have to pretty much tie Baker down to stop him having a crack. If the OP means passing it short when nowhere near the area rather than hoofing it forwards, well I'm all in favour of that.

We should mix in a few more short-corners, though. They were our most effective option last season with Sheff and Baker working the ball. I think Cyrus could attack the gap at the near post after coming narrow-there's been loads of space there that he could have hit in the last two home games, and the kid's got his shooting boots on at the moment, so why not?

I don't mind if we pass short from in our own half or near the halfway line, but I do mind when we are half way inside the other teams half and we pass short then lose it. The one time we put it in the box from that position in Saturday we got. Penalty.

We do try short corners and they barely ever work, the ball ends up being crossed into the box and its isn't ill usually a poor delivery

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I think we've done alot of things short this season! From our goal kicks, to our indirect freekicks (ones around the half way line i think OP refers to), to corners. And corners are the ones that annoy me the most. Then again, our long corners don't tend to lead to anything either (step up David Bell).

Definately something SP needs to look at

WillieStanley

I think we've done alot of things short this season! From our goal kicks, to our indirect freekicks (ones around the half way line i think OP refers to), to corners. And corners are the ones that annoy me the most. Then again, our long corners don't tend to lead to anything either (step up David Bell).

Definately something SP needs to look at

Set peices are pretty much our worst enemy this season. Can't play them, certainly can't defend them!!

Nonleagueherewecome

But we've hardly used short corners at all this season: 95% of them have been lumped all the way over the penalty area and beyond!

stupot07

Apart from bakers direct freekicks and the very occassional corner our set peices have been pretty poor all season.

kg82

Don't think it really matters, we don't do anything by getting it into the box either and lose possession then too! Something to sort out for sure. I don't mind short free kicks, but if you do it you have to do them quickly to try and catch the opposition off guard.

skybluegod

Don't think it really matters, we don't do anything by getting it into the box either and lose possession then too! Something to sort out for sure. I don't mind short free kicks, but if you do it you have to do them quickly to try and catch the opposition off guard.

As I said we won a penalty from the one ball we did put into the box on Saturday.

kg82

As I said we won a penalty from the one ball we did put into the box on Saturday.

True, but it's few and far between isn't it. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, as long as the way you do it is effective.

ccfcway

CCFC Holdings have replied that the corners have been too long all season, and to sustain a club long term, they are looking at reducing the corners to that of a League One club..

skybluegod

True, but it's few and far between isn't it. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, as long as the way you do it is effective.

True. Bell did however put in the best corner all season on Saturday haha. Needs working on though in per season almost every team we have come against this season as beaten us at set pieces at both ends

stupot07

True. Bell did however put in the best corner all season on Saturday haha. Needs working on though in per season almost every team we have come against this season as beaten us at set pieces at both ends
It doesn't help that we only have 1 player who can attack a ball, and even he has a 50p head!

PVA

Our team is way too small to cause any problems at set pieces (or defend them, for that matter)

A lot of teams in this league are full of big units. We barely have any, especially with Leon out.

Our CBs are tall, Cyrus is reasonably tall. All our midfielders are midgets, Cody/Wilson aren't big either.

Other teams have 4 or 5 big guys.

letsallsingtogether

Should always have a player on the opposite corner because there alwaqys to long

skybluegod

Woody woodpecker! He wins a fair few put most go high or wide. He is the only one who ever gets near a corner, tbf on him.

He's not a 50p head. Most the headers he gets from a corner are close and if there not then its usually because he's there late because he's the only one attacking it.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Woody woodpecker! He wins a fair few put most go high or wide. He is the only one who ever gets near a corner, tbf on him.

Hmmm. Maybe he does head them a but scew whiff sometimes. But I suppose this season he has been doing the job of two CB's most of the time and is just eager to get something on it.

Attacking wise, ive been disappointed with Edge at corners! Hes a big lad, and shouldn't get bullied out of making challenges. Thats something Malaga looked half decent at to be fair to him. Shame we can't use rolling subs and just bring him on for corners ;)

Users who are viewing this thread