Shops that are gone (1 Viewer)

Malaka

I was reading the pubs thread with interest and then was watching an old cine film of Broadgate, it panned round and there was a shop that used to be Cloghoppers. It had amazing high platform shoes and boots in its windows.
Does anyone remember any other shops that have gone?

eastwoodsdustman

What was the designer sports shop called that was in the row of shops next to the rocket? Had some lacoste sweatbands and tacchini swimming trunks from there as a teen.

Gazolba

There are just so many. A few I remember are Owen Owen, C&A, Woolworths, Barnbys, Davies Sports, Swifts, Burtons Tailors, Colliers Tailors, Hepworths Tailors, Dunn & Dunn (hats I think), Walker Jewelry, Watches of Switzerland, H. Samuel Jewelry, Gibberds clothing, Chelsea Girl clothing, Fennels records, Jill Hanson records, Virgin records, Beryl Houghton photo, Perry & Sturman photo, Midland Educational, Halfords, Frettons, Lynnes, Hudson Bookstore, Loveitt & Bones chemist, Hertford Grill cafe. I can picture many other shops but cannot remember their names.

Malaka

And in broadgate there was a shop close to devlins that sold cowboy boots was it Stage One?

no_loyalty

Mercia Sports lower precinct, robbed it a couple of times with a doctored credit note (they refused to give me a cash refund on a returned pair of trainers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Owen Owen was great I used to get my YSL Shirts from them
Brought a beautiful sky blue puma tracksuit from there when I was a kid with my birthday money wore it once and some fucker nicked it off my washing line

Gazolba

There were some great little shops in the Coventry Arcade in the part between the Birdcage and Queen Victoria Road. Cannot remember the names of any of them except Virgin Records which was near the Birdcage. The Coventry Arcade was a great place when it first opened and had a good turnover of shops for quite a while. There was a good cafe about halfway down.

Gazolba

Anyone remember tony brittans sports shop on ball hill?
The only shops I remember there were Woolworths, a newsagents, a little pet store, a travel agency (Thomas Cook I think) and a butchers shop. There were a lot more shops, just cannot picture them.

Gazolba

The Place I Used to Live:

clint van damme

Does anyone remember the name of the ice cream shop in Melbourne Rd Earlsdon, ran by an Italian family?

eastwoodsdustman

Anyone remember tony brittans sports shop on ball hill?

When I was 16 my mate got a job in Stoke (Coventry) and every Friday he'd go into Tony Brittans on the way home with his wages and buy a new football kit. By 6 o'clock he was out playing football in it!

trevelfarandwide

Woolies & it's pic'n'mix

Woolies and it's aisle full of Transformers toys, in the 80's. :)

Barnaby's toy shop too, what a grotto that was. The Wimpy on The Burgess, fine memories of necking my first girlfriend over a bacon batch and a milkshake, then being asked to leave for 'disgraceful behaviour in a public place'. :)

Where else...that game shop on Gosford Street? Used to get great US and Jap SNES games from there. Oh, memories. :)

Malaka

There was a musical instrument shop by Fishy Moores, was it strings and things?

Malaka

I used to go to Spalls to buy christmas presents for my mum and grandparents. there was also a tool/hardware shop at the side of Coventry Theatre, damned if I can remember what it was called

smouch1975

I used to go to Spalls to buy christmas presents for my mum and grandparents. there was also a tool/hardware shop at the side of Coventry Theatre, damned if I can remember what it was called

Mattisons.

Sat with two 75 year olds. First time in a decade

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Barnbys btw.

Always used to go into Cov first thing on a Saturday morning to do our shopping - we always used to go early to miss the queues into Barracks car park, sometimes we didn't!

But the treat for me was a trip there, seemed like a mysterious other place going up the tiles into the doors, and upstairs was always the toy cars. Still got loads of them that I got from there.

lifeskyblue

Phillips in Hillfields too. Dragged there by my Granddad for files, screws, washers, hammers... you name it.

Boy, I had an interesting childhood.

My dad dragged me there quite often. Many a 'happy hour' wandering around while he took an age to get an item I could have picked up in a tenth of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread