Shooting practice (1 Viewer)

Major Tom

Robins said last night it’s a long drive for everyone and the players have a rest day today .. I would give them the morning off and in for shooting practice this afternoon … I’m sure a fair few people that travelled yesterday are up for work first thing this morning.

Last edited:

Major Tom

Are those fair few people professional athletes who just played two championship games in 4 days?

Some people 🤣
My heart bleeds for them 😏 I’m not asking that they get up at 5am and do a full shift at work .. ..just a few hours practice in the afternoon after a nice lie in till ten after being chauffeured back last night. They can then go back to their PlayStations and relive the game to see if they put the ball in the back of the net 👍

Last edited:

Tomh111

My heart bleeds for them 😏 I’m not asking that they get up at 5am and do a full shift at work .. ..just a few hours practice in the afternoon after a nice lie in till ten after being chauffeured back last night. They can then go back to their PlayStations and relive the game to see if they put the ball in the back of the net 👍
Troll.

Hobo

Robins said last night it’s a long drive for everyone and the players have a rest day today .. I would give them the morning off and in for shooting practice this afternoon … I’m sure a fair few people that travelled yesterday are up for work first thing this morning.

They do shooting practice all the time. Its also part of the warm up pre match.

Problem is it doesnt replicate the game situation. O'Hare would score for fun pre match, during the game he could hardly hit a barn door.

Johhny Blue

Problem is it doesnt replicate the game situation. O'Hare would score for fun pre match, during the game he could hardly hit a barn door.
He could if it was 10 ft to the right side of the goal

shmmeee

Cant remember who it was but one of the opposition teams this season had a coach trying to put players off when they did the shooting drills. Only seen it once and think it makes more sense than drilling the ball in unopposed from ten yards.

Hobo

Cant remember who it was but one of the opposition teams this season had a coach trying to put players off when they did the shooting drills. Only seen it once and think it makes more sense than drilling the ball in unopposed from ten yards.

I also heard a ex top striker recently (can't remeber who) say when he was off form he never did extra shooting practice. All you do is replicate bad habits. He saved extra shooting practice for when he was confident and on form. Which I found an interesting take.

Calista

Without wanting to diss any of our players individually, it's pretty undeniable that across the entire squad our shooting has been generally poor for quite a while now. If you can play a decent pass over 20 or 30 yards (which they all can) surely you can hit the ball well enough to at least stretch the keeper into a save. So much talent in the players, yet many of our shots are scuffed, spooned, tapped, blasted high and wide. Methinks there's a mental block here that could be addressed. I liked the (somewhat disturbing) psychology of John Sillett's saying that when a chance comes you need to feel like an assassin.

SheafIsGod

After O'Hare I genuinely think Gyokeres could be the worst finisher on the team. I'm more confident in him 25 yards out than I am 1-on-1 from 10 yards, which is worrying for a forward.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

After O'Hare I genuinely think Gyokeres could be the worst finisher on the team. I'm more confident in him 25 yards out than I am 1-on-1 from 10 yards, which is worrying for a forward.
There is only Godden got a better shots per goal ratio than him .He hit the target ie gets it between the post 2 out of every 3 shots if stats are right.He is the best finisher at the club.
Even the much melined Jamie Allen scores 1 in every 3 shots he hits the target with.

Hobo

Without wanting to diss any of our players individually, it's pretty undeniable that across the entire squad our shooting has been generally poor for quite a while now. If you can play a decent pass over 20 or 30 yards (which they all can) surely you can hit the ball well enough to at least stretch the keeper into a save. So much talent in the players, yet many of our shots are scuffed, spooned, tapped, blasted high and wide. Methinks there's a mental block here that could be addressed. I liked the (somewhat disturbing) psychology of John Sillett's saying that when a chance comes you need to feel like an assassin.

It is not uncommon to see chances squandered, even in the Premiership, because players try to hit the ball too hard. The first step to scoring is hit the target. I think it was Jimmy Greaves who used to say, "I used to just pass the ball into the net."

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It is not uncommon to see chances squandered, even in the Premiership, because players try to hit the ball too hard. The first step to scoring is hit the target. I think it was Jimmy Greaves who used to say, "I used to just pass the ball into the net."
Yep. I think you should say to players "you're not shooting, you're passing the ball to the goal"

Johhny Blue

He didn’t have to hit it hard. Not sure he ever scored from outside the 6 yard box. Not a criticism by any means he was one of the greatest finishers ever.

Hobo

Definately sperming too many chances.

stevefloyd

When I used to play I was a 'striker' almost whenever a chance came my way I used to leather it as hard as I could, whenever I looked up and placed it invariably I scored...why didn't I realise that when I was younger.. Whenever I leathered it I usually found the keeper more times than not

Users who are viewing this thread