Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 20th Jan (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

Walking up that little side street by the ground yesterday. Sheffield Wednesday fans outside a chippy. Five or six Cov fans walking past, giving it large, taunting and threatening them. Did the same to all SW fans who walked down the street, even the ones with kids with them.

Loads of kids stood in the gangway by us in the upper tier. Drinking, pissing about, taking the piss out of the stewards.

With this and the KP incident, I do despair at the way football is going.

SBT

shmmeee

Pretty astonishing that any football fan, especially one singing that song, wouldn’t know the history of that chant: Jason Lee says David Baddiel did not apologise for blackface until now (this is the Daily Mail ffs)

Also - it’s not incumbent on the black users of the forum to be your personal adjudicator of what is and isn’t racist btw

No but I respect his opinion on this topic so was asking if I had a blind spot. Just like if I have a stats Q I ask Frostie, despite him not being Opta. Also afaik Hill is white. Or at least mixed race white presenting.

The blackface is obviously racist. But all that’s said about the pineapple chant is “it stopped my family attending” which seems a bit OTT. What’s racist about it? Is singing about Simms massive hair racist? (Genuine Q)? Is black hair totally off limits or is it because it was a pineapple or what? Genuinely confused.

skyblu3sk

This incident was about 10 minutes into the second half. Subsequent reading on here would suggest this is likely when the young scumbag with his waste of space Dad started having a go.

If this situation wasn’t so horrendous, this excuse would be absolutely laughable. All other evidence points to that not being the case at all.

First game back at the CBS, I’d expect several renditions of the Palmer song to show our support.
The only point in trying to make is a don't believe a whole fan base or even a majority would be racist. It will be a minority that the majority will be rightly ashamed of and they will get what is coming to them.

SBT

No but I respect his opinion on this topic so was asking if I had a blind spot. Just like if I have a stats Q I ask Frostie, despite him not being Opta.
I imagine being routinely summoned to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on this stuff gets a bit tiring, but I suppose it’s not for me to say. Personally I think it’s quite a bit different to xG!

Brighton Sky Blue

No but I respect his opinion on this topic so was asking if I had a blind spot. Just like if I have a stats Q I ask Frostie, despite him not being Opta. Also afaik Hill is white. Or at least mixed race white presenting.

The blackface is obviously racist. But all that’s said about the pineapple chant is “it stopped my family attending” which seems a bit OTT. What’s racist about it? Is singing about Simms massive hair racist? (Genuine Q)? Is black hair totally off limits or is it because it was a pineapple or what? Genuinely confused.
Saying that Simms looks like a singer is a fair bit different to calling Palmer a black c**t while making monkey gestures.

shmmeee

I imagine being routinely summoned to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on this stuff gets a bit tiring, but I suppose it’s not for me to say. Personally I think it’s quite a bit different to xG!

If that’s the case he’s welcome to ignore. I just treated it like any other expertise request. Can you answer my questions?

shmmeee

Saying that Simms looks like a singer is a fair bit different to calling Palmer a black c**t while making monkey gestures.

We aren’t talking about that though? It’s the pineapple chant itself. I’m asking why it’s racist. It’s a hairstyle a player chooses and so should be up for ridicule right? Like any other. It feels more comfortable than say taking the piss out of Allen’s height which he can’t help.

TomRad85

We aren’t talking about that though? It’s the pineapple chant itself. I’m asking why it’s racist. It’s a hairstyle a player chooses and so should be up for ridicule right? Like any other. It feels more comfortable than say taking the piss out of Allen’s height which he can’t help.
I can't imagine all black people have the same opinion on something one might consider banter or borderline, they are of course all free thinking individuals. Best to stay on the Palmer thing which of course has absolutely no grey area.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

I would put such a comment in the same bracket as saying Muslim women look like letterboxes.

shmmeee

I can't imagine all black people have the same opinion on something one might consider banter or borderline, they are of course all free thinking individuals. Best to stay on the Palmer thing which of course has absolutely no grey area.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

They are. Again I tagged hill because I respect him on this topic, not because of his skin colour. I apologise if that was out of line.

shmmeee

I wouldn’t say it’s inherently racist but knowing the context behind it I’d say it’s clear why it was being sung. Go up to Leroy in town and sing it at him for a full breakdown.

Thank you. And sorry if I was out of line.

TBF I’m not sure I’d chant “Leroy gets battered everywhere he goes” either.

alexccfc99

I never usually say this pre match, but after yesterday and that nonsense that KP had to put up with I think the boys are going to be so up for it on Friday night (as any squad of footballers who's teammate has been subjected to that should be) we will absolutely thrash them

Tommo1993

Walking up that little side street by the ground yesterday. Sheffield Wednesday fans outside a chippy. Five or six Cov fans walking past, giving it large, taunting and threatening them. Did the same to all SW fans who walked down the street, even the ones with kids with them.

Loads of kids stood in the gangway by us in the upper tier. Drinking, pissing about, taking the piss out of the stewards.

With this and the KP incident, I do despair at the way football is going.

The ‘do what we want’ attitude. Rats.

alexccfc99

Why is it still “alledged” when we have video footage?
Cause of the batshit crazy and sometimes backward laws in this country you have to refer to it as alleged until it's passed through a court of law - a newspaper could be sued quite heavily if they didn't

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Anyone that says they never hear it either never leaves the house or is lying.

In fact you don’t even need to leave the house. It’s infuriating. Kept off this sort of talk for over a year now on here but there’s been a fair amount of it lately, in off topic and on the main forum, and it’s creeping up month by month. Hard work staying silent.

A lot of names conspicuous by their silence as well.

100%! agree with this, it takes a collective effort to call it out, not just accept it or sit in silence.

for example @OffenhamSkyBlue yesterday, says nothing on the subject other than coming on the forum to call me out for condemning what happened and saying I hope appropriate punishment will be forthcoming… attitudes like that don’t help, it’s part of the problem not the solution.

shmmeee

Cause of the batshit crazy and sometimes backward laws in this country you have to refer to it as alleged until it's passed through a court of law - a newspaper could be sued quite heavily if they didn't

I mean there were monkey gestures. Personally I’d lead with that if you courts don’t want you to determine racism, but I’ve seen reporting like “Kasey Palmer upset by alledged racism” which just seems to trivialise the whole thing and play into the “oh he’s being sensitive/making it up” crowd.

alexccfc99

I mean there were monkey gestures. Personally I’d lead with that if you courts don’t want you to determine racism, but I’ve seen reporting like “Kasey Palmer upset by alledged racism” which just seems to trivialise the whole thing and play into the “oh he’s being sensitive/making it up” crowd.
I get what your saying - But until a legal process has been and gone a journalist will always be treading on thin ice, as Andy Turner has explained

alexccfc99

"It's not racism per se" - I am first to jump at the hilt to defend our supporters when we get stick, so I am not tarring all their fans with the same brush

But blimey, some Wednesday supporters have really not been helping themselves have they🤦‍♂️

fernandopartridge

"It's not racism per se" - I am first to jump at the hilt to defend our supporters when we get stick, so I am not tarring all their fans with the same brush

But blimey, some Wednesday supporters have really not been helping themselves have they

He sounds like the type of person that might vote for whichever party Philosopher is representing this week

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SBT

But blimey, some Wednesday supporters have really not been helping themselves have they🤦‍♂️
I have zero doubt that if something similar happened in the Coventry end after an opposition player had been winding us up then loads of our fans (including on here) would be making exactly the same lame excuses

shmmeee

Argument makes no sense. If it’s the worst thing to you then you aren’t racist and don’t do it. The people doing monkey chants think it’s the same as flicking the Vs it chanting that you’re a c**t.

clint van damme

Nigel, says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread