Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 20th Jan (3 Viewers)

oscillatewildly

SWFC fan here. Just want to apologise for the absolute scum racially abusing your player Palmer. The BBC Radio Sheffield phone in is full of our fans saying the same. These idiots are not welcome at our club and should be banned for life. No excuse.

As for the game, you have a good, smart team there. Miles ahead of us in terms of quality. That said we could have got a point with that late chance and we worked hard.

Good luck for the rest of the season, your fans were the loudest we’ve had all season. Makes a change to see you doing well after the absolute nightmare you’ve had the last 20 odd years.

Hopefully we’ll be able to compete soon!

UTO
Fair play, mate. We know your club and supporters are class from the immediate aftermath of the Bradley Lowery incident.
It's been said many times before - We ALL have one or two dicks in our fanbase but they do not represent the true nature of our clubs.
This next bit will no doubt upset a few of our supporters who can't understand a 'love in', but I am one of those that likes Wednesday.
Some clubs you just warm to and others you don't.
Genuinely, the best of luck for the rest of the season.

Manchester_sky_blue

. and yet there's still some on their site trying to blame Palmer and justify it!!!!!
TBF most are condemning this moron but the underlying current of racism is obviously still strong 'up north', as the verbal abuse is obvious.
Quite clear from other footage and witness accounts that this moron doing monkey chants was far from the only 1 saying stuff.

Find it hard to believe that KP would verbally abuse a ball girl as many of their fans seem to be claiming.

Chris1987

. and yet there's still some on their site trying to blame Palmer and justify it!!!!!
TBF most are condemning this moron but the underlying current of racism is obviously still strong 'up north', as the verbal abuse is obvious.
"obviously still strong up north ".
As a Cov fan living in Sheffield this is utter bollocks. As everywhere else there are ignorant morons who let down the rest of the community. Don't go throwing out shit comments like this when you know fuck all about the area.

stay_up_skyblues

Horrible bunch of cu*ts. Abuse to Kasey abhorrent and the one caught on camera (clearly there was more) will rightfully be made an example of. And get to fuck that he goaded you all, the hand signals were after the racism. Irrelevant as there is no justification but for the record I recall that all he did was slow a throw in down and turn their full back inside out in the corner keeping the ball to earn that bollocks.

And at the other end, I counted three bottles, two lighters and numerous coins thrown at the final whistle. Several babbies stood at the front to see the game and nearly got hit. The most effort that little block of spotty virgins put in all afternoon. Dreadful support.

It wasn’t one or two today, they’ve a good number of scumbags amongst them. Thankfully we won’t be playing them for a while after Friday.

As for the game, a comfortable(ish) win when far from our best is the sign of a very good side. Sheaf and Thomas were excellent. Incredible run continues with Wright to come back… lovely stuff.

Last edited:

Adge

A bit of a case of “after the Lord Mayors show” but still managed to get the job done which is all the signs of a good team. Cov fans were so loud from where we we sitting-superb support👏

JAM See

I, I suspect like many people, had a cracking day out today (cans on the 8:33 from Coventry, more cans in New Street, more cans on the way to Derby, and yet more cans on the way to Sheffield).

Few pints in The Globe, couple more in The Graduate and then a fun trip on the tram at twoish.

One horrible racist bellend didn't ruin my day, and hopefully won't beget a toxic atmosphere on Friday.

PUSB

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

still probably not the majority of the twenty odd thousand or how ever many were there, but I’m actually slightly taken aback by how many voices you can hear on the various clips, how many people you can see joining in with the abuse, and also the ‘get the bastard (I assume that’s what they’re saying) off the pitch chant - it’s not just one or two, it’s a lot worse than that….

I was called out for suggesting earlier on this thread the club (Wednesday) has a problem, but it seems abundantly clear from what’s gone on here - given previous as well I’d hope they are properly punished for this, although they’re likely getting relegated anyway, but it’s no good doing anything other than making an example of this disgusting behaviour. A proper response from the club and authorities combined would be to go through ALL social media posts supporting or worse displaying this behaviour and punishing accordingly. As I understand it posting racist / abusive content is also a crime.

….and whilst racism is unfortunately still evident everywhere up and down the country, some areas do seem to have more of a problem - after Friday next week I won’t be heading to Sheffield again any time soon in a hurry that’s for certain.

Happy_Martian

Would be very interested to know what Bannan said to Palmer there

Looks like he just gestured to Palmer to get the game going again. Easy to get desensitised to their fans actions if similar happens regularly ?

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

I, I suspect like many people, had a cracking day out today (cans on the 8:33 from Coventry, more cans in New Street, more cans on the way to Derby, and yet more cans on the way to Sheffield).

Few pints in The Globe, couple more in The Graduate and then a fun trip on the tram at twoish.

One horrible racist bellend didn't ruin my day, and hopefully won't beget a toxic atmosphere on Friday.

PUSB

what about the other racist bellends?

I’m sure most City fans enjoyed the day, but your comment seems to trivialise what happened - as long as you had fun it doesn’t matter….how do you think KP’s wife and kids enjoyed the day?

The atmosphere is going to be toxic, 100%, and in my opinion so it should be - have you seen the various videos, heard the chants and the insults etc? even if the one or two fans aren’t there I’ve no doubt there will still be bad feeling both ways…

skyblu3sk

still probably not the majority of the twenty odd thousand or how ever many were there, but I’m actually slightly taken aback by how many voices you can hear on the various clips, how many people you can see joining in with the abuse, and also the ‘get the bastard (I assume that’s what they’re saying) off the pitch chant - it’s not just one or two, it’s a lot worse than that….

I was called out for suggesting earlier on this thread the club (Wednesday) has a problem, but it seems abundantly clear from what’s gone on here - given previous as well I’d hope they are properly punished for this, although they’re likely getting relegated anyway, but it’s no good doing anything other than making an example of this disgusting behaviour. A proper response from the club and authorities combined would be to go through ALL social media posts supporting or worse displaying this behaviour and punishing accordingly. As I understand it posting racist / abusive content is also a crime.

….and whilst racism is unfortunately still evident everywhere up and down the country, some areas do seem to have more of a problem - after Friday next week I won’t be heading to Sheffield again any time soon in a hurry that’s for certain.
If you read their forum the get him off the pitch chant was before they realised what was going on. I don't buy this all of them are racist rhetoric.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

If you read their forum the get him off the pitch chant was before they realised what was going on. I don't buy this all of them are racist rhetoric.

I don’t think these an ‘all of them are racist’ rhetoric, I think the point is it is far more than one or two coked up idiots in a corner somewhere, like I’ve said before a minority, but not necessarily a small one given the number of social media posts, insults heard on the videos etc…I mean even the comments made by the podcast presenter??

Ironically, the prick caught making the monkey gestures may more than likely not have done it because of a hatred towards black people, he’s probably just thought that because KP is black it’ll piss him off…. doesn’t make it any better, just shows he’s also thick as shit.

kg82

Most Wednesday fans will condemn what’s happened, it’s just a minority that ruin it for their club. It’s the same with nearly every club. I don’t get their mentality and never will.

Back to the game. First game in a while where I never felt threatened. Also, I don’t think we got out of third gear. We’ve got a lot more to give.

Happy_Martian

Rich Williams asking some good questions in the post match interview with Robins on CWR. Should use him more

As long as he kills his microphone during the game. Hearing him regularly pipe up with "Hold it up" or "Hold the ball" over Clive and Oggy was irritating.

pusbccfc

clint van damme

Disagree. Most that I know are well balanced long suffering individuals as we have been. This is just an easy social media abuse statement which is pathetic.

Not its not, its based on my experiences of them so nothing to do with social media you clown.
As you live in Sheffield you'll have had more interaction with them than me, but as I said, based on my experience.

clint van damme

Think I’d rest as many as possible on Friday, feels like a game to get injuries in.

Collins
Lats Thomas Binks Dasilva
Sheaf Torp
Simms Allen Palmer
Godden

Hopefully a forward in by then to play out wide.

Having seen that pitch I'd definitely make several changes.

clint van damme

According to their forum he told the disabled section of fans to sit down? Most of them condemning the racist abuse but I'm honestly shocked by the amount of "Fuck him he deserved it" they've managed to cram into 4 pages so far.

Well if they were standing up what were they doing in the disabled section?
Disgraceful that not only has he had to spend the afternoon giving their midfield the runaround but he's had to do their stewards job for them as well.

long way home

Its for all to see and cant be excused, Wednesday need to act quick and the fans need to show support to Palmer.

Its no point trying to understand this lad or anyone who joined in. We just need to call it how it is and hope none of our fans ever let us down like this lad has done his club.

Astute

Wasn't at the game but even if palmer had been goading fans no need for the shit he received. I thought we were lucky to win today as you played well.
But goading?

This has taken me back many years. Palmer was being targeted because they couldn't handle him. He was giving it back. 'Yer shite' 'going down' was the reply. Nothing serious. I love it when a player gives it back with a smile on their face.

But to take us back many years with racial abuse? I went to my first game in the late 70's. During the 80's so called supporters would even racially abuse their own players if not playing well. It was accepted. Thank fuck times have changed. But now we have idiots who seem to think racial abuse is banter as well as others who are racist.

Hillsborough has always been one of my favourite grounds to visit. Yes a bit of a dump but had great times there. Always had a good time with their supporters. But now?

If it was just one so called supporter it wouldn't be so bad even if still shocking. Find who they are and hit them severely. Show the world what happens to them. But there has been countless others trying to make out it is the black players fault he was racially abused. Then you see comments from other clubs supporters where you can see they have a fairly large amount of scum for supporters. I will never see them the same again.

Users who are viewing this thread