Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City [FA] Match Thread - Friday 26th Jan (2 Viewers)

Greggs

but we're talking about here and now aren't we? He's starting games for a form team in this league. I feel he's good enough for now. If you don't, fair enough.
Yes we are! Exactly. So 'in the here and now' we're actively trying to bring in a player that plays in Palmers position. So once Wright is back - New winger is signed - Palmer slips further down the pecking order. I said Palmer isn't good enough and the club should bring in someone better, a few hours later it's announced we're after someone better. So you're disagreeing with me and also the club and recruitment team.

mmttww

Yes we are! Exactly. So 'in the here and now' we're actively trying to bring in a player that plays in Palmers position.

His position is no. 10 where he's second choice if O'Hare is fit and in form. He's good enough for that role in the squad and he's good enough to start there if needed. If he can fill-in wide left while we're short of cover, cool. You think he's not good enough, I disagree.

Greggs

His position is no. 10 where he's second choice if O'Hare is fit and in form. He's good enough for that role in the squad and he's good enough to start there if needed. If he can fill-in wide left while we're short of cover, cool. You think he's not good enough, I disagree.
If we lose O'Hare, we'll get a replacement in. Seems he's not first choice in any of the positions he plays - but you think he's good enough?! Strange.

SkyBlueSoul

A few players need a rest, hard to call what we'll do though. Boggy pitch not ideal for tired players.

For me, Kitching stays in because he missed 3 games so not in need of a rest. Ideally I'd have Lati in midfield to rest one of Eccles/Sheaf but there's no-one else to cover MvE. Don't think Torp will be ready to start but hopefully see him at 60-70 minutes. We desperately need another wide player so Saka can have a rest but I'm guessing Tavares will come on for him if we don't get one. No need to overwork Cal, give Allen a run out.

Wilson
Lati Fadz Kitching Dasilva
Sheaf Eccles
Saka Allen Palmer
Simms

Collins, Thomas, MvE, Bidwell, Torp, O'Hare, Wright, Godden, Tavares

Hertsccfc

There's no question he is good enough. In terms of talent there are few better in the squad. The question is can he stay fit enough to play regularly.

David O'Day

Strongish team but with 1 eye on the Bristol game.

Wilson

Lati
Thomas
Binks
JDS

Sheaf
Eccles

Saka
Allen
Palmer

Simms

Go hard and get it down early so we can get people like Sheaf and Saka off the pitch asap.

Last edited:

Astute

If we're being linked with 8 million pound wingers, I can safely assume that Palmer is below the standard we're aiming for. I'd be shocked if he's offered a new deal.

Attachments

• IMG_5731.gif.937c428e162dcea836dca922e0680a2d.gif
    IMG_5731.gif.937c428e162dcea836dca922e0680a2d.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 59

ccfc1234

Seems people are thinking Robins will weaken the team beyond what he did at home to League one Oxford! I am not sure that will be the case this season and I think Doug has his eye on a payday at Old Trafford etc and I don't blame him.
As some have said go hard for 75 mins try and win the tie and rotate from there. What we want least is a replay.

Balli001

Seems people are thinking Robins will weaken the team beyond what he did at home to League one Oxford! I am not sure that will be the case this season and I think Doug has his eye on a payday at Old Trafford etc and I don't blame him.
As some have said go hard for 70 mins try and win the tie and rotate from there. What we want least is a replay.
I agree. We are 3 wins from Wembley. With so many premier teams heading out after this round we could get another favourable draw and be in the quarter finals

Sky Blue Harry H

A narrow win at best, assuming we rest O'Hare, Saka and Palmer (i.e. most of our attacking flair)
Jamie Allen baby to 'star' as our attacking midfield player, capitalising on defensive errors by them (had a weird dream about it last night)

shmmeee

A narrow win at best, assuming we rest O'Hare, Saka and Palmer (i.e. most of our attacking flair)
Jamie Allen baby to 'star' as our attacking midfield player, capitalising on defensive errors by them (had a weird dream about it last night)

Unless we’re worried about injuries from the pitch I don’t see the need to rest Cal or Palmer TBH. Both have played fewer minutes than Binks this season. Palmer maybe on general fitness terms, but I’d expect O’Hare will be happy to play every game.

If we’ve got a wide player in id out them ahead of Palmer as his fitness can be a worry. Otherwise id go:

Simms Allen Palmer/LW
Godden

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

As some have said go hard for 75 mins try and win the tie and rotate from there. What we want least is a replay.

what we want least is our season derailed due to an injury to a player because of a shite non league standard pitch or some shocking tackle from a shit Sheff Weds reserve team player

Astute

If we’ve got a wide player in id out them ahead of Palmer as his fitness can be a worry. Otherwise id go:
His fitness must have improved because as we all know he was still running up and down the wing at the end of the game on Saturday.

Still need to leave it to Palmer on if he plays or not though.

SleepyGinger

A win would be a bonus but I’d be prioritising Brizzle game

Wilson
Lati Binks Kitching Dasilva
Eccles Allen
Sakamoto Ohare Simms
Godden

Hopefully Torp gets some mins

Terry_dactyl

There's no question he is good enough. In terms of talent there are few better in the squad. The question is can he stay fit enough to play regularly.
This is it.
I’m more than happy to have him play 45mins/come on as a sub as and when, if that’s all he can manage and we can afford that. He’s fucking brilliant and, I think, the sort of footballer we pay to see.

SeaSeeEffCee

We could do with resting Saka and O’Hare for this one but no idea who would actually come in. Desperately need some wingers.

Flying Fokker

Genuinely interested to see how Robins approaches this one. Bristol will have played 5 matches in 18 days when they face us, and have got Leeds 3 days later. They keep putting out their strongest team, and you'd think they'll be struggling fitness wise by the time they come to Coventry. Wonder if it will impact Robins selection for the cup.
Note to Robins. Players get tired.

Bristol seem to put out good sides.
Leeds. What a game that could be.

alexccfc99

Wouldn't be the worst draw. Remember a win in the 5th round is quarter finals and a match from wembley
5th round is a Wednesday night which would really take the gloss off the occasion - and it's more than likely another days annual leave to use if we get an away draw

Who's smart fucking idea was that 🤦‍♂️

alexccfc99

Midweek FA Cup just feels wrong (unless it's a replay).
It's a joke and can only imagine that it is to keep the moaning of Klopp et al. at arms length

With the inevitable scrapping of replays altogether probably landing in the not so distant future and the semis being held at Wembley they really are doing their best to fuck up the best domestic cup competition in the world

Gibbo

Good for how long? 1 half? Never seen him have a good full 90 in the 3 seasons we've had him.
Intimately involved in both goals yesterday. Ran the length of the pitch to be involved twice in the second....after an hour

alexccfc99

Give Saka, Collins, Bidwell and Eccles a break. Maybe even Thomas as well
If he doesn't at least bring on Fab Tav yet on the other hand won't sanction a loan move it is really difficult to see what he is actually planning to do with him

alexccfc99

If we get through give us a home tie!

Much less of a ballache mid-week and I would actually back us to beat or at least make a very decent fist of anyone other than Manchester City or Liverpool at a full CBS

Boicey

Looking at their forum this morning, a mistake, they really are one of the worst sets of fans I’ve come across online.
I hope we put out a strong side and absolutely hammer them.

Users who are viewing this thread