Sheffield United (Away) Match Thread (2 Viewers)

Grendel

He means because it should have been a penalty before, so the correct decision should have been a penalty and not a goal.

And at full speed I didn't even see handball. I guessed it had crossed the line by murphys reaction but they showed 10 replays and still it wasn't 100%

SkyBlue_Bear83

I know they say you shouldn't give them unless you are 100% but unless its like a yard over and no doubt how can the linesman say for sure 100% either way or the other, I've always thought they should go with gut or the most likely probability in these instances.

eastwoodsdustman

Referee had a shocker today. Not only on 3 or 4 key decisions but by letting the constant pulling of shirts, body checks and clipping of heels go throughout the game he played into Sheffield's game plan perfectly. A couple of early bookings for persistant fouling would have made them rethink their tactics.
I'm not sure if its been mentioned but Turner was up for a corner in the first half and had the defender bear hugging him as he jumped for the ball. Pretty sure the ref could see it but let it go. It was another certain penalty that we should have been given.

D

Deleted member 2477

Presty said:
We fought, scrapped and battled for the first time I can remember in a long time.

Doesnt fit in with the status quo but Hammond and McEverley were superb today.

Let's not knock them tonight.
Well said mate, agree 100%

Hammond chopped them to pieces, stuck up for his team mates and got in the ref's face. Ugly? Absolutely! But that's something we have missed all season.Every team needs an enforcer and he showed me those qualities today.

Funny how everyone praised Millwall for doing a similar job on us easier in the season isn't it, yet when we do the same it just shows how crap we are. The ref was soft as shit, verging on incompetent and guess what Hammond exploited it brilliantly.

Huge 3 points, don't give a flying **** how we got them.

shmmeee

He means because it should have been a penalty before, so the correct decision should have been a penalty and not a goal.

Surely time enough to play on and give the goal though? Can you play advantage like that?

shmmeee

I know they say you shouldn't give them unless you are 100% but unless its like a yard over and no doubt how can the linesman say for sure 100% either way or the other, I've always thought they should go with gut or the most likely probability in these instances.

Madness we don't use the technology available IMO. We shouldn't be arguing whether a ball has gone over the line in 2015.

stupot07

Madness we don't use the technology available IMO. We shouldn't be arguing whether a ball has gone over the line in 2015.

I agree, the football league should have the same technology as the PL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Grendel

Interesting comments from klopp about not letting west brom win just lumping the ball up and scoring from set plays

His comments were arrogant and outragious.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Surely time enough to play on and give the goal though? Can you play advantage like that?
Not really sure, I think it would be within the laws of the game to do that but I'd imagine had the handball be seen it would be blown for immediately and thus goal not given.

Gazolba

Why do we seem intent on going short at every corner and every close range free kick?

Could be influenced by Chris Anderson's book. Statistics show that very few goals are scored from corner kicks and long corners lose possession much more than do short corners. And don't argue with me, read the book.

Astute

Could be influenced by Chris Anderson's book. Statistics show that very few goals are scored from corner kicks and long corners lose possession much more than do short corners. And don't argue with me, read the book.

But if you get the ball to one of your players from a corner you should have a decent chance of scoring. If you take a short corner you still have a lot of work to do.....unless you then put a high ball into the area.

coop

Couldn't see the point in bringing Cole on Job was doing OK and I think we lose energy when he is not in the team the officials were awful.

Otis

Couldn't see the point in bringing Cole on Job was doing OK and I think we lose energy when he is not in the team the officials were awful.
JOB keeps being taken off. The only conclusion I can come to is that he is carrying a knock and can't last a full 90 mins.

Last edited:

Otis

That's 4 out of the last 5 matches where he has been substituted or has come on as a sub (3 times subbed, once come on as a sub).

Terry Gibson's perm

I would imagine TM has a copy of the book and it probably makes a good door stop. I haven't read the book and having looked at the author don't think I will be bothering either.

mrtrench

I'm a big fan of a well-crafted short corner. Imagine the potential of Murphy running into the box with more than half the team waiting for the cross - not randomly punted in but directed. Unfortunately too many are not well-crafted.

Terry Gibson's perm

The corner into the box flicked on at the near post used to get Arsenal a few goals under George Graham, it's all in the delivery and wanting to win it when it's in there, how many of these short corners end up back in the half way line.

stupot07

The corner into the box flicked on at the near post used to get Arsenal a few goals under George Graham, it's all in the delivery and wanting to win it when it's in there, how many of these short corners end up back in the half way line.

We used to use that when Macca and Dublin were here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

wingy

I don't know if other teams have worked us out or not but over the last two games we seem to have become laboured and slow in our build up

Working it around the back line seems extremely slow and I don't think Fleck and Vincelot have been as effective as previously
On the substitutions Murphy on his showing yesterday should have been the first to make way
We need another striker in the building as MAF isn't the other go to option

Appalling referee decisions but we still had chances to win the game. Shef Utd were there for the taking and we missed the opportunity - just like we did against Doncaster. Need 6 points from the next 2 games now.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I don't know if other teams have worked us out or not but over the last two games we seem to have become laboured and slow in our build up

Working it around the back line seems extremely slow and I don't think Fleck and Vincelot have been as effective as previously
On the substitutions Murphy on his showing yesterday should have been the first to make way
We need another striker in the building as MAF isn't the other go to option

I think that is partly down to Sheff Utd's gameplan, they deserve credit for constantly closing us down and forcing us to recycle/look backwards to keep possession, which made us look a little slower and more laboured in the build up, to your point. They didn't give us any time on the ball in midfield and snapped into their tackles all day - yes some of those tackles may have been a bit overzealous, but their gameplan was effective in stopping us being as fluent as we have been previously.

I also thought MAF was total garbage when he came on, offered nothing wide right. Should have been up top as part of a 2 with Armstrong, holding up the ball.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Regarding corners, I thought last season Stokes offered us something in the opposition box but now we tend to keep him back defending from the half way line. I get that we can't send all 4 defenders up, but if he looks useful why not sacrifice one of the taller lads for him? Not necessarily for every one, but some, atleast

wingy

I think that is partly down to Sheff Utd's gameplan, they deserve credit for constantly closing us down and forcing us to recycle/look backwards to keep possession, which made us look a little slower and more laboured in the build up, to your point. They didn't give us any time on the ball in midfield and snapped into their tackles all day - yes some of those tackles may have been a bit overzealous, but their gameplan was effective in stopping us being as fluent as we have been previously.

I also thought MAF was total garbage when he came on, offered nothing wide right. Should have been up top as part of a 2 with Armstrong, holding up the ball.

Yeah I wouldn't argue with any of that.

Captain Dart

Regarding corners, I thought last season Stokes offered us something in the opposition box but now we tend to keep him back defending from the half way line. I get that we can't send all 4 defenders up, but if he looks useful why not sacrifice one of the taller lads for him? Not necessarily for every one, but some, atleast

Most teams tend to keep one of the faster defenders back when there is a corner in case of a breakaway, the taller guys are not usually so rapid.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Most teams tend to keep one of the faster defenders back when there is a corner in case of a breakaway, the taller guys are not usually so rapid.

True, and I get that, but if you have a defender who is a potential threat at set pieces, would you not choose him over one of the less threatening ones? and perhaps take two midfielders back to cover?

Users who are viewing this thread