Sheaf (1 Viewer)

WestEndAgro

I’m confused, are we looking for arguments, or refusing to debate?

The argument that perceptions of Sheaf’s importance are over-inflated are at least somewhat challenged by the fact that his teammates also see him as the squad’s best player, aren’t they? Or are the players guilty of making the same errors in perceiving Sheaf’s impact that most other fans are?

Feel free to ignore it if you don’t want to engage, but it seems like a relevant question in the light of brand new information.
Sheaf has long been regarded as technically the best player at the club, and that includes the likes of Hamer and Vik. He was perceived as a completely different level to the rest.

baldy

Scores one worldly then spends the rest of the season failing to recreate it 😂 the DMs curse.

I suspect it’ll be more like £15m, but £20m would do some serious damage. £4m each on CB CM AM LB then £2m each on a ST and a GK. Add in a couple of experienced frees at CB and CM and a loan at RW and that’s pretty much us for the season IMO. Any Vik or Gus cash is a bonus.

GK
MvE Thomas CB LB
CM Eccles
Saka AM Wright
Simms

Collins, Lats, Dasilva, CB, Kitching, Torp, CM, Palmer, Allen, RW, EMC, ST, Tavares, Burroughs for subs.

Honestly think that’s a top four squad.

And i think that second string beats most L1 and below sides in the cup.

Even Blues? 😛

BlueSkiesForever

Sheaf has long been regarded as technically the best player at the club, and that includes the likes of Hamer and Vik. He was perceived as a completely different level to the rest.
He’s good but he’s not that good. No way in my books is Sheaf better than Hamer or Vik, those two were wayyyy more crucial to our campaigns than Sheaf ever has been. He’s one of our most consistent players but even he still sometimes puts in a poor performance.

Personally my issue is not with selling him it’s whether we reinvest the money straight away and get some proper decent players in rather than faffing around with free agents or players from teams in league 1. If Sheaf’s replaced by a league 1 hopeful then I’d rather keep him, if not then I’d personally be happy to sell.

Balli001

He’s good but he’s not that good. No way in my books is Sheaf better than Hamer or Vik, those two were wayyyy more crucial to our campaigns than Sheaf ever has been. He’s one of our most consistent players but even he still sometimes puts in a poor performance.

Personally my issue is not with selling him it’s whether we reinvest the money straight away and get some proper decent players in rather than faffing around with free agents or players from teams in league 1. If Sheaf’s replaced by a league 1 hopeful then I’d rather keep him, if not then I’d personally be happy to sell.
Many players have come from league 1 across the championship and excelled. Spending money on higher league players doesn't always mean 'proper decent'

shmmeee

If Sheaf goes for £15m or more you've got to take your hat off again to Chris Badlan. Was it Earlsdon who tried to make out he was an awful scout? He'll have made us nigh on £50m in profit:

McCallum
Hamer
Gyokeres
Sheaf

If that money gets us to the PL there’s a case he’s been as influential as Robins.

BlueSkiesForever

Many players have come from league 1 across the championship and excelled. Spending money on higher league players doesn't always mean 'proper decent'
Yeah I agree, it’s not a given that a big price tag means guaranteed talent but I think we’ve taken quite a few chances on league 1 players so far and I’m not completely convinced it’s working, especially as we’re currently relying on those players.

If we bought league 1 players as back up players or to train up and sell on then that’s completely fine but to rely on them to get us through the season and take us into the prem is a completely different matter.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah I agree, it’s not a given that a big price tag means guaranteed talent but I think we’ve taken quite a few chances on league 1 players so far and I’m not completely convinced it’s working, especially as we’re currently relying on those players.

If we bought league 1 players as back up players or to train up and sell on then that’s completely fine but to rely on them to get us through the season and take us into the prem is a completely different matter.

What’s your expectation on our budget?

The phrase “I’d have bought a ‘quality’ Championship striker” as if these players are readily available at a good price. Generally, they’re not.

We’ve signed players from around 7 or 8 different leagues this season and we’ve finished 9th in the Championship after a massive rebuild. It can’t really be seen as anything other than a success, overall.

Hertsccfc

The phrase “I’d have bought a ‘quality’ Championship striker” as if these players are readily available at a good price. Generally, they’re not.

We’ve signed players from around 7 or 8 different leagues this season and we’ve finished 9th in the Championship after a massive rebuild. It can’t really be seen as anything other than a success, overall.
It's lower than last year so it's not a success, and with a bit of flexibility we could have finished higher.

BlueSkiesForever

I’m not sure I’d describe this season as a “success” tbh, I get your point but at times we’ve looked vulnerable, clueless and blunt, yes we’ve had good spells but it’s really hinged on whether certain players have had a good game or not.

As for our budget, I’m only speculating roughly here but I think we made £6-7 mil profit last year from sales? and let’s assume Sheaf goes for £10 mil and we get £6 mil from a Gyokeres sale? That’s about £22 mil if all that happens, and if those two things don’t happen then Doug really could be putting his hand in his pocket and stumping up some cash for signings. Even if we had £12-13 mil then we could sign 3-4 decent players.

BlueSkiesForever

I will be very sad to see Sheaf go but if we get a proper price for him and spend it well on 3/4 really good Championship level players it could turn out to be good for us.
Yeah I’d be fine with Sheaf going if it means we can improve the squad overall. We need a new LB, GK, CB and more CMs desperately, yes selling Sheaf adds to that problem but really atm I think generating cash to add depth to the squad is more of a priority than keeping Sheaf.

skybluecam

Don't bother debating him. All his opinions seem to be based on the false premise we can just go out and sign guaranteed championship quality players for 1-2m a pop.

Mucca Mad Boys

It's lower than last year so it's not a success, and with a bit of flexibility we could have finished higher.
I’m not sure I’d describe this season as a “success” tbh, I get your point but at times we’ve looked vulnerable, clueless and blunt, yes we’ve had good spells but it’s really hinged on whether certain players have had a good game or not.

As for our budget, I’m only speculating roughly here but I think we made £6-7 mil profit last year from sales? and let’s assume Sheaf goes for £10 mil and we get £6 mil from a Gyokeres sale? That’s about £22 mil if all that happens, and if those two things don’t happen then Doug really could be putting his hand in his pocket and stumping up some cash for signings. Even if we had £12-13 mil then we could sign 3-4 decent players.

The club has a 5 year plan and in the next 5 seasons, the expectation is to make the playoffs 3 of those seasons. We were in the playoff race more or less till the end. Objectively, it was a success because we met expectations.

There’s a worrying trend of how teams who lose the playoff final specifically can spiral. When you have a turnover of 17 players in one window as well as losing your two best players, this season could’ve ended in disaster to be frank.

Going into next season, Top 6 becomes an expectation and failure to meet that we can say the season is a failure.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If Sheaf goes for £15m or more you've got to take your hat off again to Chris Badlan. Was it Earlsdon who tried to make out he was an awful scout? He'll have made us nigh on £50m in profit:

McCallum
Hamer
Gyokeres
Sheaf

Chris Badlan did sign some good players, he also signed some absolutely terrible ones, which is probably part of the reason why he's working at Aberdeen now. After leaving us he was sacked from Blackpool for a variety of reasons (including leaking team sheets funnily enough), but neither club you would argue are a step forward from us. Surprising for such an awesome scout...

A few petals don't tell the whole summer unfortunately.

Brighton Sky Blue

Chris Badlan did sign some good players, he also signed some absolutely terrible ones, which is probably part of the reason why he's working at Aberdeen now. After leaving us he was sacked from Blackpool for a variety of reasons (including leaking team sheets funnily enough), but neither club you would argue are a step forward from us. Surprising for such an awesome scout...

If the good ones include some of the best players we’ve had here since 2001, I’d say a few duds are excusable.

Reactions: SBT

clint van damme

Not to defend Badlan but every club signs a fair few duffs, it's the nature of recruitment.
Sometimes those duff signings move on and have success at their new club, it happens at all levels.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If the good ones include some of the best players we’ve had here since 2001, I’d say a few duds are excusable.
Not to defend Badlan but every club signs a fair few duffs, it's the nature of recruitment.
Sometimes those duff signings move on and have success at their new club, it happens at all levels.

Every club signs a few duds of course, but we have had a lot. We have traditionally been operating a very tight ship, so in order to be good at your job, you need to be a strong all rounder and recruit within pretty fine margins for the entire squad. Not just a few top players. We struggled to do that with Badlan, and that was obvious for anyone paying attention at the time. The fact he is now at Aberdeen having been sacked from Blackpool isn't a surprise to me personally, and whilst we did get some decent players when he was here, like I said, there was a ton of shit which held us back.

Bakayoko
Kastaneer
Charlie Wakefield
Allassani
Junior Brown
Morgan Williams
David Meyler
Jobello
Hillsner
Da Costa
Adaramola

I could go on but you get the point.

Brighton Sky Blue

Every club signs a few duds of course, but we have had a lot. We have traditionally been operating a very tight ship, so in order to be good at your job, you need to be a strong all rounder and recruit within pretty fine margins for the entire squad. Not just a few top players. We struggled to do that with Badlan, and that was obvious for anyone paying attention at the time. The fact he is now at Aberdeen having been sacked from Blackpool isn't a surprise to me personally, and whilst we did get some decent players when he was here, like I said, there was a ton of shit which held us back.

Bakayoko
Kastaneer
Charlie Wakefield
Allassani
Junior Brown
Morgan Williams
David Meyler
Jobello
Hillsner
Da Costa
Adaramola

I could go on but you get the point.
His predecessors in similar circumstances had an even worse hit rate to be fair.

shmmeee

Strongly disagree. Vik in particular wasn’t a technically strong player, Sheaf oozes class, you can see he’s been trained at a high level. Vik and Gus were all action and had some outstanding traits, but technically I’d agree Sheaf is better. That doesn’t necessarily mean a “better player”, but I’d argue most suited to higher level football.

Users who are viewing this thread