Shared from BBC Sport (4 Viewers)

mark82

Shows it can be done. Guess it also shows the importance of owning your own stadium (particularly when it's right next to one of the busiest motorways in the country)

Kingokings204

That's great and good for them but when we're they last in the championship? And how long were they there for?

Breaking even like they did last year or making a small profit this year is very very commendable but it also limits them to being a league 1 team forever pretty much. They never seem to go down and never seem to go up. They also own heir own ground and have held concerts there also.

So yes great for them but limits their status in English football which may be good enough for them but I don't want cov in league 1-2 forever.

Terry Gibson's perm

Do they also sell players whenever possible, they are just a club that don't spend any money and have enough to get by. If their ambition is to make a profit then they are successful but if it is to get promoted from this league then it doesn't work.

stupot07

Just shows what can be done. You don't need to spend money to be competitive in this league, you can build a promotion chasing season on a break even budget, wheeling and dealing. This is where we need to be working towards, as it gives a strong base to build on. It also kind of back up TF and MVs assertion that if you're break even and in a healthy place with the budget you don't have to sell and can hang to players a bit longer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

Shows it can be done. Guess it also shows the importance of owning your own stadium (particularly when it's right next to one of the busiest motorways in the country)

Why do you crack on about stadia without checking the facts?
Actually their staff costs were under £3.5M, ours were over £5M.
Directors remuneration was £170K at Walsall and £314K here.

Last edited:

pastythegreat

Although I do agree with you that it is imperative that we own our own stadium and it is massively important for the clubs futre........... Walsall rent there ground (for a hefty £400k) from the clubs owner.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

In fact if I remember rightly there were a shit load of their fans batching on here (and their forums) about how unfair it was and that we were cheating.
Cheating because :
1, we had all the best loan players
2, we were renting the Ricoh for a lot cheaper than they were the Bescot
and
3, we were above them in the league at the time.

BigadamL

I'm from Walsall and the bescot Sunday market is a well know long standing market, it's not the best but pulls in the money. But more interestingly the football team do pay a minimal rent fee to use the stadium as it's in company name of the owner. But your right shows it can be done

theferret

Although I do agree with you that it is imperative that we own our own stadium and it is massively important for the clubs futre........... Walsall rent there ground (for a hefty £400k) from the clubs owner.

The Walsall rent deal, like many other rent deals involving football clubs, is very diferrent from ours. The money they pay enables them to operate that stadium 365 days a year for their own benefit and all revenues are theirs. They are in effect the stadium management company. We on the other hand pay to use part of the Ricoh for about 5 hours 25 days a year. I'd be happy to pay 400K, or a million, if it meant we had control of the Ricoh.

Grendel

Why do you crack on about stadia without checking the facts?
Actually their staff costs were under £3.5M, ours were over £5M.
Directors remuneration was £170K at Walsall and £314K here.

Why don't you check don't facts yourself.

Isn't it a fact that the club pay a "variable ground rent" which has put around £5 million into the owners pension fund over the years?

Terry Gibson's perm

Didn't they sell their best players?

I think they sold Henry and Bradshaw but may have lost Sawyers, they can only sell while they are getting players in and that won't keep happening who's going to buy Simeon Jackson ;).

martcov

The Walsall rent deal, like many other rent deals involving football clubs, is very diferrent from ours. The money they pay enables them to operate that stadium 365 days a year for their own benefit and all revenues are theirs. They are in effect the stadium management company. We on the other hand pay to use part of the Ricoh for about 5 hours 25 days a year. I'd be happy to pay 400K, or a million, if it meant we had control of the Ricoh.

Weren't we offered 400000 by the old ACL as one of the final final offers?

pastythegreat

Do they also sell players whenever possible, they are just a club that don't spend any money and have enough to get by. If their ambition is to make a profit then they are successful but if it is to get promoted from this league then it doesn't work.
They do sell players!! And even still only missed promotion by goal difference.

mrtrench

They have consistently finished in the top half of the table for the past 4 years and have challenged for promotion several times at some stage of the season. I'd say it's a sustainable model and support it.

olderskyblue

Be interested to see the actual profit they make after all costs (not just rental) have been taken into account.

martcov

They have consistently finished in the top half of the table for the past 4 years and have challenged for promotion several times at some stage of the season. I'd say it's a sustainable model and support it.

The model being, in effect, a stadium management company as well as a League 1 club ( see above post from The Ferret ). We don't have that option.

wingy

Didn't we have a Neil Woods back in the day?
He was awful.
Same one or am I going senile?
Anyway good luck to them, seem to be able to give us a lesson on the pitch these days
Remember putting 4 and 5 past them for a few years in the last decade..
It's sobering what's happened or happening to us.
How would they be valued in relation to us?

stupot07

Didn't we have a Neil Woods back in the day?
He was awful.
Same one or am I going senile?
Anyway good luck to them, seem to be able to give us a lesson on the pitch these days
Remember putting 4 and 5 past them for a few years in the last decade..
It's sobering what's happened or happening to us.
How would they be valued in relation to us?

We had Neil Wood, signed on loan I think from Man Utd. He was was awful left footed midfielder. I think we had him at the same time as Graham Barrett, who was also very average. The Gary McCallister days IIRC?

55fc64906cba46158e773ea13ffdefed.jpg

This Walsall guy is a different bloke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

That's great and good for them but when we're they last in the championship? And how long were they there for?

Breaking even like they did last year or making a small profit this year is very very commendable but it also limits them to being a league 1 team forever pretty much. They never seem to go down and never seem to go up. They also own heir own ground and have held concerts there also.

So yes great for them but limits their status in English football which may be good enough for them but I don't want cov in league 1-2 forever.
I think they were last in the 2nd tier in about 2004/5/6? And they got to Wembley last season in JPT...lost admittedly, & have also been relegated to L2 possibly a couple of times - BUT won promotions back to L1. So I guess you could argue that since yr 2000 they have had more success & their fans have had more fun than ourselves?

They will unlikely ever get higher than mid-Championship largely due to the limited stadium capacity for 1...but also Walsall itself is (& always was when I was a kid) overflowing with Man Utd, Liverpool, Vile, Wolves & Baggies fans.
It would be so easy for them to be more of a Nuneaton without good running of the club imo

...onwards & upwards PUSB

rd45

I think they were last in the 2nd tier in about 2004/5/6? And they got to Wembley last season in JPT...lost admittedly, & have also been relegated to L2 possibly a couple of times - BUT won promotions back to L1. So I guess you could argue that since yr 2000 they have had more success & their fans have had more fun than ourselves?

They will unlikely ever get higher than mid-Championship largely due to the limited stadium capacity for 1...but also Walsall itself is (& always was when I was a kid) overflowing with Man Utd, Liverpool, Vile, Wolves & Baggies fans.
It would be so easy for them to be more of a Nuneaton without good running of the club imo

On that showing, they're probably over achieving. Fair play to them. But I'm not seeing it as a model that's attractive for us to follow. Even if it's unrealistic & based on nostalgia, I'd have to say I'd be hoping for more.

SkyblueBazza

On that showing, they're probably over achieving. Fair play to them. But I'm not seeing it as a model that's attractive for us to follow. Even if it's unrealistic & based on nostalgia, I'd have to say I'd be hoping for more.
Scale-up...then that is what we all want. Medium size stadium, 3/4 to full every game, lots of income, shrewdly used to put a reasonably attractive playing side that mean we all smile wryly or grin like a Cheshire cat each week instead of searching for the razor blade!

Users who are viewing this thread