Share TV wealth (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

Let's play Catchphrase.

attachment.php

Yellow Man Bouncing on Ears? Ooh, that's good but it's not quite right. Say what you see.

Attachments

• online-racing-radio-1.jpg
    online-racing-radio-1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 152

NorthernWisdom

The better distribution is indeed key, so fair play to them for that.

Preferably not as the drip feeds do hoiwever, where a small increase in share is a bribe to enable some other benefit for a top flight club ahead of others.

Nick

Administrator
You would think the FA would want it to go right to the very bottom, instead of going into Aguero's back pocket why not use it for the potential England players in the next 15 - 20 years etc.

NorthernWisdom

You would think the FA would want it to go right to the very bottom, instead of going into Aguero's back pocket why not use it for the potential England players in the next 15 - 20 years etc.

Alas, the current fad is to decide the likes of Spain win trophies, and their club setup focusses on a small number of teams and hangs the rest out to dry... so we should follow.

Would be nice if just for once we led with a policy, rather than did something less well than someone else. English football's USP was always the depth of its following, the fact more people watched non top flight games on a Saturday than the top flight... so you'd think we could have confidence in ourselves.

skybluetony176

Alas, the current fad is to decide the likes of Spain win trophies, and their club setup focusses on a small number of teams and hangs the rest out to dry... so we should follow.

Would be nice if just for once we led with a policy, rather than did something less well than someone else. English football's USP was always the depth of its following, the fact more people watched non top flight games on a Saturday than the top flight... so you'd think we could have confidence in ourselves.

The German model is the only one that works. For the domestic leagues and clearly for the national team too. The FA and FL would do well to adopt this model.

I would even argue that it's only the FL who need to adopt this model, let the FA and premier league be run by the media, spread the TV money that goes to the lower leagues more evenly and the lower leagues become self sufficient and be fan friendly.

chiefdave

What you need is a mass cancellation of Sky subscriptions coupled with a boycott of PL games then maybe the people who need to make the change will start to pay attention.

Unfortunately I suspect the percentage of fans of PL teams who actually care what is happening lower down the pyramid is very low.

NorthernWisdom

Unfortunately I suspect the percentage of fans of PL teams who actually care what is happening lower down the pyramid is very low.

Just like when we were there, and voted for the formation of the Premier League. Doubt many of our fans cried out that it was horribly unfair we were getting more cash.

it needs a big, big club to go pop really to draw attention to it. Leeds sort of did, but it needs bigger and poppier.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

The problem is the premier league was set up so that the top teams could cream off the majority, if not all, the TV money. (Cov included at the time of the 1992 deal to split up the football league).

Not much will be passed down the leagues as the top teams will still demand a bigger slice as they can not compete with Barçalona and Real Madrid. Especially as all English teams out of the European comps before the quarter finals for the first time in 20yrs.

Full story from Athletico Madrid who want more TV Share.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/spanish-pri...real-madrid-and-barcelona-enjoying-huge-share

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

What you need is a mass cancellation of Sky subscriptions coupled with a boycott of PL games then maybe the people who need to make the change will start to pay attention.

At the FSF meeting a couple of weeks ago it was suggested that a set number of people cancel their Sky Sports (just Sports nothing else) subscriptions on mass within a set period (e.g. within the same 5 minute window) then sign up again on mass during another set 5 minute period later that day or within a day or so of cancelling. Then the process is repeated weekly by more large groups. The theory was that their systems wouldn't be able to cope and will crash them.

Covstu

Its a nice sentiment but the way the Premier league has broken away from the FL means that this disparity is likely to continue. I am not sure whether this situation will implode at all but it isnt likely to do so within the next ten years at least.

Really interesting stats in particualar the fact that Cardiff received more than Bayern and PSG combined! The prem league is funding people's retirements at the present.

Ironically the club clubs that i have always hated are the only clubs really doing something for the english game - Liverpool and Spurs. Some great talent coming from those clubs but they will never win the premier league in my lifetime because they dont buy 'big'

rupert_bear

It won't implode because there are TV companies waiting and ready to pounce should Sky move aside. Of course this money should be spread about but it won't be, the only way to get a share is to be part of the Premiership. Perhaps the championship will become a Premiership 2 it is in a way now, unfortunately those running our club see going down the divisions as progress.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

How the premier league money was shared for the 2013-14 season;

Each club got £55m, + 1.2m per share for league position. 20th place got 1 share(£1.2m), 19th got 2 shares (£2.4m) 18th get 3 shares (£3.6m) and so on, 1st get 20 shares (£24m), also each club receives £750,000 per TV appearance (with a minimum of £7.5m), as stoke (5 appearances) and a few others were on less than 10.

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/premier-league-prize-money/
NO#TEAMSMERIT MONEYTV MONEY SHARELIVE MATCH FEETOTAL
1Manchester City£24.0m£55m25*£750k=£18.7m £97.7m
2Liverpool£22.8m£55m28*750k=£21.0m£98.8m
3Chelsea£21.6m£55m24*750k=£18.0m£94.6m
4Arsenal£20.4m£55m25*750k=£18.7m£93.4m
5Everton£19.2m£55m16*750k=£12.0m£86.2m
6Tottenham£18.0m£55m23*750k=£17.3m£90.3m
7Manchester United£16.8m£55m25*750k=£18.7m£90.5m
8Southampton£15.6m£55m£7.5m (10 matches)£78.5m
9Newcastle United£14.4m£55m14*750k=£10.5m£79.5m
10Stoke City£13.2m£55m£7.5m (5 matches)£75.7m
11Crystal Palace£12.0m£55m£7.5m (10matches)£74.5m
12West Ham United£10.8m£55m15*750k=£11.3m£77.1m
13Swansea City£9.6m£55m13*750k=£9.7m£74.3m
14Sunderland£8.4m£55m13*750k=£9.7m£73.1m
15Aston Villa£7.2m£55m15*750k=£11.3m£73.5m
16Hull City£6.0m£55m£7.5m (9 matches)£68.5m
17West Brom£4.8m£55m£7.5m (8 matches)£67.3m
18Norwich City£3.6m£55m£7.5m (9 matches)£66.1m
19Fulham£2.4m£55m£7.5m (7 matches)£64.9m
20Cardiff City£1.2m£55m£7.5m (7 matches)£63.7m

Premier League TV & Prize Money Breakdown Between 20 Clubs

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...tal-broadcasting-payments-season-2012-13.html
The Founder Members’ Agreement of the Premier League rules that 50% of UK broadcast revenue is split equally between the 20 clubs, 25% is paid in Merit Payments (depending on where a club finishes in the final League table), and the final 25% is paid in Facility Fees each time a club's matches are on TV in the UK.

Captain Dart

Just like when we were there, and voted for the formation of the Premier League. Doubt many of our fans cried out that it was horribly unfair we were getting more cash.

it needs a big, big club to go pop really to draw attention to it. Leeds sort of did, but it needs bigger and poppier.

One can dream... mmmmmmm Aston Villa
Newsweek-cover-crop-550x412.jpg

H

Huckerby

I don't think it would do anything other than drive up the lower league player wages, and probably increase the price of tickets at the big clubs

H

Huckerby

Because that hasn't happened despite the TV deal
Sorry, didn't think I had to spell it out but ill make it really simple:

I don't think it would do anything other than FURTHER drive up the lower league player wages, and probably increase the price of tickets at the big clubs.

Terry Gibson's perm

I look forward to a big cut in the sky price now they have lost the champions league to bt sport as I am sure when they got it they lumped a bit extra on for getting it.:sarcasm:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Its just going to get worse, the new BT deal for the champions league blowed the old one out of the water, as well as the new BT/Sky deal for the premier league. We could eventually be looking at a closed premier league where the 3 who are promoted are just relegation fodder year in, year out who won't even be competitive. Burnley, Leicester and QPR all look set for an immediate return to the championship.

Last edited:

skybluefred

Got it in a nutshell.

Terry Gibson's perm

If they made the prem games all pay per view and brought the price monthly down I would be happy as I hardly watch a prem game now, but watch the cricket, mls and the netball obviously.

I have bt as well but my internet is paid for by my company so that's free.

Terry Gibson's perm

They will be more bothered when their b teams are in the lower leagues!

Users who are viewing this thread