Shame Cody McDonald didn't play today (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

I am surprised when AT had these behind closed door matches that Cody did not feature in any.

However it might be the case that Cody will not be right for every game.

RoD and Platt can be better options depending on the teams we play.

Otis

'RoD and Platt can be better options depending on the teams we play.'

Never thought in my life time I would hear a Coventry City supporter say that!! :D Obviously shows how low we have sunk. I'm sure a combination of Platt and O'Donovan as a strikeforce will have opposition defenders quaking in their boots!! :D

Nonleagueherewecome

Nope, I rate O'Donovan more than McDonald. Based on his pace (comfortably our fastest player), and his record in L1, as opposed to Codys great strike-rate being in L2. I've seen enough from O'Donovan as sub last few games to think he deserves a start. Although there was ONE moment where Cody chased and harried yesterday where I turned to my mates and said "See, he could be the next Andy Morrell yet!". One replied "If only he was close to being in Morrells class". Which is harsh, but..bleak.

Too soon to judge the boy. I think the King comparison is a valid one and I was about to make it myself. It was only because King had a bigger profile that fans were more patient with him (granted he was able to impress us with his all round ability even when he wasn't scoring). I saw enough against Ipswich to tell me Cody will get goals for us though.

Nonleagueherewecome

King came on as sub against PNE without a minute under his belt in over a year and was instantly 10 times better than anyone on the pitch. So whilst it isn't a good comparison, in any sense, if the excuse is "well, King was poor at first.." it just simply doesn't wash.

It wasn't so much a comparison of the players respective abilities, more a point about how much impact a player's fitness can have on their game.

While you could see the class King possessed from his very first touch of the ball he wasn't really firing on all cylinders until the last few months of the season.

...not that that's how long I'd expect it to take for Cody. If that was the case we'd be well and truly fooked this season, if we aren't already.

Like someone else said, we could have done with a player who was up to scratch from the off but under the current regime we won't be spending that kind of money.

SkyBlue_Bear83

King came on as sub against PNE without a minute under his belt in over a year and was instantly 10 times better than anyone on the pitch. So whilst it isn't a good comparison, in any sense, if the excuse is "well, King was poor at first.." it just simply doesn't wash.
My excuse is not "King was poor at first." my point was it took King around 15 games before we saw the best of him, still a not match fit King was still a good player at this level and not poor.
My point is more simply we are yet to see the best of Mcdonald.

Users who are viewing this thread