Sexist and/or patronising TV commentators in the women's game? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Just watching NZ v Aus 20/20 women's cricket and I can't help but notice the amount of sympathy and 'understanding' when there's a simple dropped catch or a ball not cut off for a boundary.

Had it been the men's game the player in question would have been slaughter.

Is it patronising? Is it sexism? Are they saying women can't catch?

I find it very embarrassing.

Sure I encountered something similar watching women's rugby.

Just saw the simplest of simple catches go down and the commentators seemed to making lots of excuses and making out the catch was harder than it was.

Nick

Administrator
To be fair whichever way they approached it would be wrong.

You slaughter them and it is because they are women, treating them like they aren't good enough etc etc. If you don't then they are being soft and the women want to be treated equally.

Otis

To be fair whichever way they approached it would be wrong.

You slaughter them and it is because they are women, treating them like they aren't good enough etc etc. If you don't then they are being soft and the women want to be treated equally.
Just all feels wrong when I watch it.

They move the ropes in, fair enough. Women can't hit the ball as hard as men.

They bowl more slowly. Fine, men can bowl quicker.

They can't hit the ball as hard, again, fine.

What I don't get is a dolly of a catch put down and excuses been made and sympathies dished out.

Can women not catch? Is that what they are suggesting?

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

Perhaps women and men see the world differently and perhaps hand/eye coordination is different. I remember years ago reading the work of Piaget who suggested women had more highly developed communication skills but men have better spatial awareness. Lots of jokes about parking come to mind but I won't repeat them here.
Not sure if Piaget's work is discredited today but if true may explain some differences in men and women

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Yep, but not talking about outstanding catches and great reflexes, I'm talking about little lobbed up dolly catches. The sort my daughter can do in the playground with her eyes closed.

Nick

Administrator
It is just all this equality shit, I'd much rather everybody is treated the same.

Rather than the "WE DEMAND TO BE TREATED EQUALLY" (but, we want this different, that different, this different, that different)

lifeskyblue

Yep, but not talking about outstanding catches and great reflexes, I'm talking about little lobbed up dolly catches. The sort my daughter can do in the playground with her eyes closed.

If she can catch the ball with her eyes closed she could walk into any cricket team...men or women

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Cricket has the same issue as football. As much as those in charge want to push it and seem to be all about equality the standard of the games is poor.

If you've got Sky there's shedloads of top level football and cricket, there's no chance large numbers of people will start watching an inferior product.

Otis

Cricket has the same issue as football. As much as those in charge want to push it and seem to be all about equality the standard of the games is poor.

If you've got Sky there's shedloads of top level football and cricket, there's no chance large numbers of people will start watching an inferior product.
Women's cricket is without doubt, very inferior.

There's a lack of pace and fast bowling and big hitting, all the things that make cricket really enjoyable.

Gazolba

<snip>

What I don't get is a dolly of a catch put down and excuses been made and sympathies dished out.

Their hands aren't as big or their arms as long.

You didn't say if the commentators you were listening to were men or women. What we need are female commentators for female sports. This will remove the sexist bias.

Last edited:

Gazolba

Women's cricket is without doubt, very inferior.

You could say the same thing about women's football. But I enjoy watching it as much as men's football because it is more tactical and there is very little fouling, diving and arguing with the ref.
The fact that the women can't run as fast or shoot as hard is not that important to me.

Otis

You didn't say if the commentators you were listening to were men or women. What we need are female commentators for female sports. This will remove the sexist bias.
Male they were.

Otis

You could say the same thing about women's football. But I enjoy watching it as much as men's football because it is more tactical and there is very little fouling, diving and arguing with the ref.
The fact that the women can't run as fast or shoot as hard is not that important to me.
Nope, I don't mind women's football either, or women's rugby, but the cricket looked so lame and sedate.

I have watched before too, but I find it hard to enjoy it.

eastwoodsdustman

Just all feels wrong when I watch it.

They move the ropes in, fair enough. Women can't hit the ball as hard as men.

They bowl more slowly. Fine, men can bowl quicker.

They can't hit the ball as hard, again, fine.

Their minds not on it. They're Probably thinking about getting their hair or nails done or going shopping or fluffy dogs or something.

skybluesam66

they did that with the womens football world cup = and they started talking about shopping trips

The only womens support i take a remote interest in is athletics - which while still an inferior product, they are racing against themselves to go faster/higher/further etc - and it is not so much about skill and strength

Grendel

Nope, I don't mind women's football either, or women's rugby, but the cricket looked so lame and sedate.

I have watched before too, but I find it hard to enjoy it.

It's a very new game though really. Although it was around in the 70's it then was like a parks game. It's only just being taken seriously.

Have a look at the county cricket circuit in the 70's - compared to today it would look terrible. If you look at the England team then the likes of Edrich, Steele etc. would be blown away now.

It needs a lot of time to advance.

Otis

It's a very new game though really. Although it was around in the 70's it then was like a parks game. It's only just being taken seriously.

Have a look at the county cricket circuit in the 70's - compared to today it would look terrible. If you look at the England team then the likes of Edrich, Steele etc. would be blown away now.

It needs a lot of time to advance.

Yep, very fair assessment and actually, I watched the England v India 20/20 game today and it was much better.

the one thing I noticed lacking was the amount of 6's. There weren't any. Be interested to note the comparison between the men and the women's game in terms of the average number of 6's in a game.

Think that is two games in a row where I haven't seen a 6. It seemed to be much more about getting ones and twos.

Otis

Man City women are playing Linkopings in the women's champions league.

SSN reporter has just said Man City are winning 1-0 and Linkopings have just gone down to 10 men.

giphy.gif

rob9872

I may be a dinosaur, but I respect women's right to play and the right for those of you on this thread who choose to watch, but I object to women's sport being pushed to pretend that it's equal to the men's game. Let it evolve naturally. If it's a good enough product the interest and the revenue will increase, but there seems to be an appetite to push things to deserve equal funding, equal coverage, equal pay and conditions immediately in all facets of all sports.

Tennis is a fine example. The rules may be the same but game is completely different. Not only in terms of sets played, but the strength and power of the men's game, the finesse and longer rallies of the women's. Women were successful in demanding equal pay but are the advertising revenue and audience that watch the events equal? I watch the ladies Wimbledon final, but never anything else whereas I watch quite a bit of men's tennis, even outside of slam events. If the tournaments weren't held at the same time I'm certain that they wouldn't get an equal slice of the sponsorship and tv revenue.

I dislike positive discrimination in equal measure to other kinds of discrimination, whether it be gender, race or anything else.We should accept that we're different and respect eachother's differences rather than attempt to pretend there aren't any.

Otis

Yeah, get all that, but I don't see how a team of 11 women can go down to 10 men.

Unless there is something they're not telling us of course.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think the equal pay is fine for women to get all they need to do is make the tournaments mixed obviously as they are equals they will beat the men and get through to the big cash.

Nick

Administrator
The equality stuff does my head in, half the time they don't even give like for like examples of the jobs when they moan about pay.

If somebody is doing exactly the same job, exactly the same hours with exactly the same experience then of course pay them the same. If it isn't exactly the same job it's pointless comparing it.

A male tennis player plays more sets for starters, I bet they get more in sponsorship than the average female tennis player because they are more well known (besides Williams Sisters) etc.

rob9872

A male tennis player plays more sets for starters, I bet they get more in sponsorship than the average female tennis player because they are more well known (besides Williams Sisters) etc.

Thankfully only 3 sets. If it were 5 sets they would need to extend events by another week to complete games!

Otis

The equality stuff does my head in, half the time they don't even give like for like examples of the jobs when they moan about pay.

If somebody is doing exactly the same job, exactly the same hours with exactly the same experience then of course pay them the same. If it isn't exactly the same job it's pointless comparing it.

Film and TV and theatre is a perfect example.

They should all get paid the same. Female lead, male lead. Makes no difference. They are all doing the same job.

Gazolba

They should all get paid the same. Female lead, male lead. Makes no difference. They are all doing the same job.

All men don't get paid the same as other men and all women don't get paid the same as other women either.
If you are going to enforce equal pay, it has to be among the same sex as well as between the sexes.

Otis

All men don't get paid the same as other men and all women don't get paid the same as other women either.
If you are going to enforce equal pay, it has to be among the same sex as well as between the sexes.
If they are doing the exact same job though then surely they should be getting paid the same amount of money.

Nick

Administrator

That is a good example. If for example it's 2 lead actors in the same film, doing the same work then pay them the same.

Gazolba

If they are doing the exact same job though then surely they should be getting paid the same amount of money.
But that should apply among men and women. If there are two male actors or two female actors doing substantially the same job they should also earn the same.
This is not just a male-female issue it is a person-person issue.

Users who are viewing this thread