SET PIECES - Goal Famine (1 Viewer)

My last post lamented lack of goalscorers from midfielders and forwards - but there is another weakness in our armoury that of scoring goals from set pieces.

When have we last scored in numbers directly/indirectly from the following deadball situations:

• Free kicks
  • Corners
  • Throw ins (Gunnersson type)
It always seems to be that the opposition score in abundance via the first two and occasionally the third whereby CCFC always struggle and pose no threat.

It fills me with horror when in the inevitable added time a last minute freekick or even worse a corner is awarded because we know what is going to happen

Probably our best period of converting freekicks and corners into goals was when King Dion and McAllister played together.

And as an individual look at Brian Kilkline playing for us scored 28 goals in 173 games equivalent to 8 goals per 46 game season and he was a central defender!!!

THe question is - what's the answer

PUSB

wingy

Richard wood was prolific For sheffield wednesday at the end of the season where we had the charlton debacle,he was their captain and banged in 8 in their last 10-12 games ,including 1 against us in the 93 minute ,after we thought zavon hines had bannished our drop fears,ben turner looked capable of matching or beating killers tally till his injury last yr

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Is there any law in the game stating that a player can't pick up a member of his own team (to gain a height advantage) like they do in a rugby line-out? Can you imagine a City corner coming in with a couple of the more bigger lads lifting up, say, McSheffery allowing him to bang in a free header into the back of the net! I've always wondered about that and thought what a great set-piece it would make! :D It would certainly take the opposition by surprise! Ah well. Just a thought...... :)

wingy

I t highlights the fact that at the minute we've become a tad diminutive again,and possibly short of left sided players ,wonder if they considered that when they shipped out 10-11 players since last season,just who is thinking strategically at the club

Nonleagueherewecome

Odd, Wood said on signing for us that "I never really scored any before last season". He's big, but a bit of a 50p head-he missed loads of sitters last season. And for a big bloke, he gets beaten in the air in defence way too much. And he's slow, and can't pass...

Back on topic..certainly delivery is an issue-Sammy has been poor for a long time, but we don't have many other players who can take them. Shame we don't still have McIndoe; at least he could cross. Christ, that it should come to such an utterance...

J

Jack Griffin

Cyrus's crosses from the right were beginning to look good. It looks lke he is now being deployed as a sub left back to cover for Hussey when he gets tired (a significant number of late goals have recently been conceded because Hussey has been flagging).

Our play is so one dimensional, it has been for years. There is such a thing as training routines too much & stifling creativity, I swear if the lads invented some moves themselves they would have more of a stake in getting them to work.

Otis

Very good point.

We don't seem to have any trick plays or try and do anything any differently.

One my main problems this season has been our predictability and telegraphing pretty much everything we do so we are very easy for the opposition to read.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
We're never gonna score from set pieces that need height when we are having to play kids. Its like parents v their kids sometimes when we play :) imagine if we had to come up against the likes of Stoke each week!!

Re: Gunnars throws, they were never any good to us when we had him so I never considered it as an advantage as they never worked! Guessing Cardiff are thinking the same after his first two on his debut :)

wingy

He never got any elevation on them did he?they were always flat and easily dealt with ,i would imagine we could train Cyrus up to do a job like that he seems to be powerful enough

Ernie Machin

My last post lamented lack of goalscorers from midfielders and forwards - but there is another weakness in our armoury that of scoring goals from set pieces.

When have we last scored in numbers directly/indirectly from the following deadball situations:

• Free kicks
  • Corners
  • Throw ins (Gunnersson type)
It always seems to be that the opposition score in abundance via the first two and occasionally the third whereby CCFC always struggle and pose no threat.

It fills me with horror when in the inevitable added time a last minute freekick or even worse a corner is awarded because we know what is going to happen

Probably our best period of converting freekicks and corners into goals was when King Dion and McAllister played together.

And as an individual look at Brian Kilkline playing for us scored 28 goals in 173 games equivalent to 8 goals per 46 game season and he was a central defender!!!

THe question is - what's the answer

PUSB

Killer was great and all....but weren't most of them penalties?

bamalamafizzfazz

Is there any law in the game stating that a player can't pick up a member of his own team (to gain a height advantage) like they do in a rugby line-out? Can you imagine a City corner coming in with a couple of the more bigger lads lifting up, say, McSheffery allowing him to bang in a free header into the back of the net! I've always wondered about that and thought what a great set-piece it would make! :D It would certainly take the opposition by surprise! Ah well. Just a thought...... :)

I have thought the same myself, imagine Crouchy for England being lifted by Rooney and Terry to smash it home from 12 foot in the air!!

I know this is a little less likely because of the studs on boots but what about the old Michael Jordon basketball dunk where a team mate got on all fours and Jordan stood on his back elavating himself high in the air or just a bunk up with two hands together like you're climbing over a wall.

Would these things be considered unsporting like conduct?

On a side note I cannot believe how little number of goals Keogh scores from corners, I have placed an anytime bet on him most games since about 10 games into last season and thought it would be easy money as he always gets on them.

Nonleagueherewecome

Christie has done a lot more damage from those positions with his throws so far than Aron did in his last..20 games, say? AT didn't even bother with them, they'd been so crap under AB. The big difference is Cyrus reaches the near post-it might get flicked on, or it might be scrambled clear resulting in a chance like Derby. But at least they're in the mixer, which Aron's wasn't managing. They didn't even reach the 6 yard box most of the time. Cyrus at least looks like he's seen Stoke on TV and knows what he's trying to achieve, compared to Aron's efforts.

Corners are more of a concern..the only time we look dangerous is when we take them short, and a pro coach will tell you that you should only take it short if the opposition are dozing-generally you lose part of the advantage of a corner (statistics bear this out). Yet we often take them short as a first resort, even when defenders are in position, implying a lack of confidence in our first-time corners.

Disorganised1

We seem to lack someone who can benefit from a flick on - given that Juke seems to be skilled in the air I'd like to see him flicking on for others to benefit, but that requires someone able to put it on his head.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
Richard Wood is a demon in the air and it's a shame he's injured. Keogh is too but I'm not sure why we haven't been scoring.

Mr problem is with Clingan. His delivery from free kicks and from corners has near enough, always been abysmal. Corners never beating the first man or passing everyone.

What I think is that he needs to stop being so precise with his set pieces and just get the ball in the area. Doing so would create a range of goal scoring opportunities. Whether its along the floor or in the air. As long as its in there, anyone can challenge for it, whereas if its to one person, then only he can challenge for it.

torchomatic

I don't know about scoring from corners, but for a start it would be nice if Clingan and McSheff could actually get a ball in the box rather than it sailing over everyones head.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I don't know about scoring from corners, but for a start it would be nice if Clingan and McSheff could actually get a ball in the box rather than it sailing over everyones head.

Or if the crosses beat the first man! Theres never an inbetween when it comes to our set pieces; it either goes too far or hits the first man!

Nonleagueherewecome

Darn right! One of the people I sit with is obsessed with us over-hitting corners. He asks why we don't have anyone beyond the far post waiting for the inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread