Seppala Interview on Sky Sports News (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Is it? How does forcing ccfc out do that?
It draws a line in the negotiation, and shows that they won't accept the boundaries changing, and they have a position that is not worth trying to pull at the edges.

At some stage, every negotiation has to have a red line. This is Wasps'.

NorthernWisdom

What you're saying isn't logical though it spite. Sisu have started this action so we're going to kick the club out. Logic is objectively analysing the situation and working out what is best. In this case that is to keep the revenue that Boddy reported as being around £2m per year at the Ricoh.
L<ogic says that you have to have a red line somewhere, otherwise everyone takes you for a ride. In the wider context, you have to show you're serious.

Liquid Gold

It draws a line in the negotiation, and shows that they won't accept the boundaries changing, and they have a position that is not worth trying to pull at the edges.

But they haven't drawn that boundary as they already put the EC investigation to one side. Their own words.

Nick

Administrator

It doesn't draw a line because it doesn't stop the EU stuff.

NorthernWisdom

But they haven't drawn that boundary as they already put the EC investigation to one side. Their own words.
Well... leaving that aside, they're doubtful about what might come next - their own words.

Seppala's interview doesn't reassure that they're wrong on that, either.

Again(!) SISU have been shown to have acted in bad faith, SISU have been shown to have sought loopholes wherever possible, and push at the edges, and be somewhat disengenuous.

if you were Wasps... would you sign a deal with such an entity?

Liquid Gold

Well... leaving that aside, they're doubtful about what might come next - their own words.

Again(!) SISU have been shown to have acted in bad faith, SISU have been shown to have sought loopholes wherever possible, and push at the edges, and be somewhat disengenuous.

You can't just leave things aside because they don't fit your argument

NorthernWisdom

You can't just leave things aside because they don't fit your argument
Eh?!? I'm continuing the quote! The exact quote is:

Nick Eastwood said:
we have unfortunately been unable to reach an agreement with the owners which, putting aside the complaint to the European Commission, would deliver the fundamental principle that there would be no further proceedings about the ownership of the Ricoh Arena.

Now.. that suggests dispute over said fundamental principal. 'putting aside' could be open to interpretation and should be clarified, too.

Ricketts

Hope they put the full video up rather than 30-40 second clips here and there.

With you on this. I've bought 400 Gillette razors and joined the army twice. Now PLEASE show the whole fucking video.

I loved Joy's comment about how a Premier Rugby club are about the same level as a League One football club. They've topped out, whereas the sky is the limit for us.

The council always wanted to own the football club. No suprise there. Always been control freaks.

Liquid Gold

Eh?!? I'm continuing the quote! The exact quote is:

Now.. that suggests dispute over said fundamental principal. 'putting aside' could be open to interpretation and should be clarified, too.
Ok, I didn't realise that's what you were doing. That is already a demand that had not been previously put on the club. We all accept sisu are duplicitous bastards. I don't know why you're trying to make out London Wasps aren't following an equally duplicitous path as an excuse to avoid consequences to their actions.

Nick

Administrator

I'd personally sign a short term rolling deal with ccfc with the emphasis on whatever sisu signed about the legals.

That's if I wasn't working with somebody trying to buy the club and wanted to distress it to try and force a takeover though, else I'd force the club out and get the pr campaign running with the club's own fans groups. I'd also encourage protests to stir things up.

That's if we are assuming that wasps don't act in bad faith or push loopholes themselves.

NorthernWisdom

Ok, I didn't realise that's what you were doing. That is already a demand that had not been previously put on the club. We all accept sisu are duplicitous bastards. I don't know why you're trying to make out London Wasps aren't following an equally duplicitous path as an excuse to avoid consequences to their actions.
tbh, I'm making what I thought was a remarkably uncontroversial statement, that given SISU are duplicitous bastardfs, is it surprising people won't deal with them?

Nick

Administrator
tbh, I'm making what I thought was a remarkably uncontroversial statement, that given SISU are duplicitous bastardfs, is it surprising people won't deal with them?

Yeah which is understandable if you are talking your honest everyday business. We are talking people giving false evidence to auditors to mislead bondholders.

Voice_of_Reason

No, you’re right about Wasps - but as coventrians, and Coventry City fans we should be disgusted about an out of town entity kicking out a historic city icon in the football club.

And wasps should be shunned... we as a city are Famous for that
Absolutely ! On this occasion the blame for CCFC not playing in Coventry next season lies fairly and squarely with Wasps who ridiculously expect SISU to indemnify them. No business would agree to such a ridiculous demand. I find it strange that some wish to boycott St Andrew's next season when the decision not to play in Coventry was not of SISU'S making. How will boycotting help CCFC address the situation. Our attempts should be to distress Wasps with adverse publicity.

NorthernWisdom

Absolutely ! On this occasion the blame for CCFC not playing in Coventry next season lies fairly and squarely with Wasps who ridiculously expect SISU to indemnify them. No business would agree to such a ridiculous demand. I find it strange that some wish to boycott St Andrew's next season when the decision not to play in Coventry was not of SISU'S making. How will boycotting help CCFC address the situation. Our attempts should be to distress Wasps with adverse publicity.
What actions mean an indemnity is even discussed?

To suggest it's solely CC / Wasps and SISU are innocent is as mad as suggesting it was all evil SISU last time out, and there should have been no criticism for CCC / ACL. It's all in the presentation, and trusting no-one is far healthier than going team SISU, or team CCC.

Last edited:

chiefdave

They should just publicly release an offer , rather than releasing this bullshit.
This is what drives me insane with the Telegraph and also Gilbert. Ask follow up questions!!! When he says they want CCFC at the Ricoh push him on how that can happen.

At the moment it seems the only reason that is not happening is because he has put impossible demands in place. Instead of letting him spout off and printing any old rubbish why can't someone actually act like a journalist.

Nick

Administrator
This is what drives me insane with the Telegraph and also Gilbert. Ask follow up questions!!! When he says they want CCFC at the Ricoh push him on how that can happen.

At the moment it seems the only reason that is not happening is because he has put impossible demands in place. Instead of letting him spout off and printing any old rubbish why can't someone actually act like a journalist.
Let's face it, all they can do is copy and paste and rewrite.

ccfc92

Because they're not journalists. They just post random clickbait shite.

Personally, if I was doing that job, I would want to get actual info to get some headline news, not just a load of nothing.

Paul Anthony

"Well, SISU could drop the legals" would probably be the standard response. But you're certainly right, if he had any credibility, he should be pressing the point. Our local media have, by and large, failed to do so.

chiefdave

Personally, if I was doing that job, I would want to get actual info to get some headline news, not just a load of nothing.
Imagine if you were a young journalist in Cov straight out of college on a piss poor wage. You've got a story on your doorstep that could be national news and make your career. I'd be all over it.

Instead the Telegraph and CWR seem to be staffed with people afraid to upset Wasps by asking any questions.

duffer

Again, it ties up resources in the meantime, diverts them from other avenues, means potentially money has to be set aside dependent on risk, and also restricts the sponsorship opportunities and therefore income, as people are averse to going all-in until they see if there's fire to go with the smoke.

It's not an uncommon legal tactic.

Absolutely, and it's unlikely that SISU raised the complaint to benefit the good people of Coventry.

That doesn't alter the point that Wasps have been arguing that the Ricoh deal was absolutely above board, whilst now simultaneously demanding that they are indemnified against the fact that it may not have been.

The interesting thing to me, is that there would seem to be no path for SISU to sue Wasps directly if they agreed to forego further legal action. In which case, who would be able to demand damages from Wasps?

The EC doesn't apply damages even if the complaint against CCC is upheld, as I understand it. So the only action I can see is another bash at the Council, by SISU, in the Civil court (ding-ding, seconds out, round three).

I'd see this a straight claim for damages rather than a JR, in which case no risk to Wasps.

OK, I'm stretching a little here, but is that demand for an indemnity actually designed to protect CCC? And if so, why?

From the very start of all of this the relationship between Wasps and CCC has been deeply suspicious. I'm very happy to see it under the spotlight.

Voice_of_Reason

Absolutely, and it's unlikely that SISU raised the complaint to benefit the good people of Coventry.

That doesn't alter the point that Wasps have been arguing that the Ricoh deal was absolutely above board, whilst now simultaneously demanding that they are indemnified against the fact that it may not have been.

The interesting thing to me, is that there would seem to be no path for SISU to sue Wasps directly if they agreed to forego further legal action. In which case, who would be able to demand damages from Wasps?

The EC doesn't apply damages even if the complaint against CCC is upheld, as I understand it. So the only action I can see is another bash at the Council, by SISU, in the Civil court (ding-ding, seconds out, round three).

I'd see this a straight claim for damages rather than a JR, in which case no risk to Wasps.

OK, I'm stretching a little here, but is that demand for an indemnity actually designed to protect CCC? And if so, why?

From the very start of all of this the relationship between Wasps and CCC has been deeply suspicious. I'm very happy to see it under the spotlight.
Good post

shepardo01

Totally agree.... however, we do not have a local media who are inclined to go in this direction... and we have a council who, after yesterday's statements on sky are looking like downright liars! ("ACL independent from Council"!)
Nobody was in a strong enough media position to challenge this!... Tweeted Gilbert about it and he produced a link and basically said "people could look at it in different ways..."
Have always said Wasps in bed with council... and Council should not even be getting involved with CCFC deal with Wasps....

torchomatic

and we have a council who, after yesterday's statements on sky are looking like downright liars! ("ACL independent from Council"!)

Yes, that's the bit that made me laugh.

Martin Reeves (cough), Chris West (cough)

Users who are viewing this thread