Seldom mentioned legends... (4 Viewers)

Moff

Here's a starter - John Smith, Brian Lewis, Dave Clements.....

Maybe legend may not be the best description for them but I always thought Steve Hunt, Garry Thompson, Brain Borrows and Trevor Peake got less accolades than they should have when with us.

Last edited:

capel & collindridge

Seldom mentioned here: Peter Hill, Ray Sambrook, Mick Kearns, Ernie Machin, Reg Matthews, Terry Yorath, Steve Froggatt

Deserve more appreciation: Ian Gibson, Terry Bly, Willie Carr, John Eustace, David Thompson

mechaishida

Seldom mentioned here: Peter Hill, Ray Sambrook, Mick Kearns, Ernie Machin, Reg Matthews, Terry Yorath, Steve Froggatt

Deserve more appreciation: Ian Gibson, Terry Bly, Willie Carr, John Eustace, David Thompson

I agree with all of those, mate. People would slate John Eustace up HR, but he gave the shirt 100% and it showed.

David Thompson was just sheer quality, if only we'd hung onto him for a bit longer. That lad was magic.

Moff

I agree with all of those, mate. People would slate John Eustace up HR, but he gave the shirt 100% and it showed.

David Thompson was just sheer quality, if only we'd hung onto him for a bit longer. That lad was magic.

Eustace is one of the nicest most down to earth footballers I have ever met. Genuine nice bloke, and often saw him at the games in the stand supporting us when not playing.

Jcap

Jim Blyth, Mick Coop, Paul Dyson, Steve Hunt, Mark Hateley, Jim Melrose, Gary Bannister. Ah those were the days...

standupforcity

Ernie Machin used to sit on the bench smoking after being substituted....perfectly normal back then!

hamil99

Facebook User
Marcus Hall and Callum Davenport, really believe the later would of been a great defend for country and club if he was not advised badly and did some stupid shit.

phildownunder

One of my favourite players from the Jimmy Hill era was Brian Hill who I think never got the recognition he deserved. He was not a flashy player, but he was an excellent man marker who was an important cog in JH`s sides while the likes of Hudson and Rees were doing their stuff in attack

tisza

"Harry" Roberts rarely gets a mention but he was a top fella - on and off the pitch.

Malaka

Craig Bellamy is my choice. A quality striker, who was humble, considerate and everything you could want from a CCFC player. Who was gracious when he left us and has always said good things about the club and fans.
Does anyone have any contacts in the Catholic Church? I think there should be beatification so that he can become St Craig.

Otis

I see no-one's mentioned Bobby Parker, our very own Bobby Moore. Very highly rated and loved at the time, but hardly ever mentioned at all nowadays.

Mcbean

Roberto Jarni - legendary story about him not coming - made BR a packet and sold a load of shirts - definitely a conspiracy theory

Otis

had to be the fattest player I've seen play for the city - although a past-his-prime Bob latchford was close!!
I don't know how old you are, Tisza, but we once had an ex Nottingham Forest left back play for us in the 1970's, I think it was Peter Hindley, who had the most enormous beer belly on him. It was a surprise he could even stand.

He was definitely bigger than Peter Barnes!

Grendel

I don't know how old you are, Tisza, but we once had an ex Nottingham Forest left back play for us in the 1970's, I think it was Peter Hindley, who had the most enormous beer belly on him. It was a surprise he could even stand.

He was definitely bigger than Peter Barnes!

He once scored a brilliant lob from 30 yards against Leeds.

blueflint

willie humphries,bill myerscough,arthur lightning,ronnie rees i could go on and on

Users who are viewing this thread