Segregation (1 Viewer)

Cov_92

The Middlesbrough game with a 28k full house in a near 33k seater stadium was a tad embarrassing with all those empty seats dont you think so @SOCCFC never mind the lost revenue
I totally agree, like I said there seems to be a different look and feel about the stadium, unless I'm looking through rose tinted specs after a few good results 😄

andy86

That’s how it feels with the excessive segregation.
For instance I still haven’t heard a satisfactory explanation as to why block 13 couldn’t be open in the play offs
I think the official line at the time was ‘overcrowding in the concourse’. I could be wrong though.

bigfatronssba

I think the official line at the time was ‘overcrowding in the concourse’. I could be wrong though.

Which we all know is bullsh1t.

Block 13 holds less than 400 people

They have over 40k pouring through those concourses when theres a concert on

wingy

Middlesbrough stadium was full with hardly any segregation and no empty seats for the 2nd leg
Yes but five thousand empty seats isn't an accurate desciption, we chose to take the loss as they wouldn't allocate xtra to us, 3k yes that argument stands.

Cov_92

Which we all know is bullsh1t.

Block 13 holds less than 400 people

They have over 40k pouring through those concourses when theres a concert on
You don't have segregation on concerts, and they can drink in stand, I get there will be areas closed off, but a different analogy and different set of rules

bigfatronssba

You don't have segregation on concerts, and they can drink in stand, I get there will be areas closed off, but a different analogy and different set of rules

Not really

Block 13 is accessed by the main concourse that runs from block 12 right round to block 6.

There are no segregation issues with it

bigfatronssba

So no concourse segregation issues if 13 is occupied by away supporters?
13 can't be occupied by away supporters. Its accessed by the main concourse. It would be impossible to allow away fans in there

MalcSB

13 can't be occupied by away supporters. Its accessed by the main concourse. It would be impossible to allow away fans in there
You said, and I quote, “Block 13 is accessed by the main concourse that runs from block 12 right round to block 6.”

That is the away supporters concourse. So why can’t it be occupied by away supporters?

Captain_Slackbladder

Empty seats = lost revenue. Every club in the land would be looking to sell as many seats as possible, whilst working within public safety parameters. As somebody has already mentioned, a few "leary teenagers" are what hamper these opportunities of reduced segregation lines/barriers. And ultimately the cost of securing these areas.
Why is it we cannot cope with a few gobby teenagers yet Liverpool and Man U had about a metre between them yesterday.

bigfatronssba

You said, and I quote, “Block 13 is accessed by the main concourse that runs from block 12 right round to block 6.”

That is the away supporters concourse. So why can’t it be occupied by away supporters?

I meant the long way around the stadium.

Block 13 - 37, the lower tier hospitality, and blocks 1-5 all share a single concourse.

There is then another concourse that runs under blocks 6-12.

It’s because the south stand is built on a different level to the rest of the ground. The concourse is about 20ft lower than the home areas.

If you notice the stadium is built into a hill. The pitch is at ground level at the south end, but quite a bit below the natural ground level at the north end

MalcSB

I meant the long way around the stadium.

Block 13 - 37, the lower tier hospitality, and blocks 1-5 all share a single concourse.

There is then another concourse that runs under blocks 6-12.

It’s because the south stand is built on a different level to the rest of the ground. The concourse is about 20ft lower than the home areas.

If you notice the stadium is built into a hill. The pitch is at ground level at the south end, but quite a bit below the natural ground level at the north end
Thanks for the clarity.

nunchuckas

Someone remind me why we can't do what we did ages ago when we allowed home fans in blocks 10, 11 & 12 Vs teams with low away followings? Shove the away fans in blocks 6-9, limited to 3-4k max (however much those 4 blocks hold). One or two rows of segregation, then the different level concourse element is gone, open up 13 as well.

I seem to remember something about a moveable shutter in the concourse for segregation...

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

Next meeting
One of the group is on the safety committee

When you go Pete, and they explain why there are problems, please ask what they intend to do about it.

Don’t let “nothing” be an acceptable answer!

napolimp

You can see all the internal roller shutters in this video. Looks to be one for each block/stairwell maybe.

What is wrong with football fans away from home? The home concourse is pretty much immaculate after games.

bigfatronssba

nunchuckas

I saw behind the goal for the Crewe JPT game, they'd shuttered off the blocks where Crewe were sat. Segregation I assume is between Block 8 and Block 9 here. I'm pretty sure I was sat in Block 10 and had one block between where I was and the Crewe fans.

View attachment 32876
Exactly, it's been done before, so what's changed?

And even one block is still way too much segregation, a few rows max.

CovInEssex

I can remember Barnsley or Preston at home a good few years ago and I was stood next to a shutter and the away fans were banging on it next to me.

Users who are viewing this thread