Saddlebrains

Gone.

Gutted. The last truly decent nightclub for local folk in this city

Attachments

• IMG-20201020-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20201020-WA0027.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 77

pastythegreat

They ruined the place. Tried to go up market, done it all out, made it look posh and stopped selling Lambrini. They should have known their target market and stayed with it.

Like they say, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Saddlebrains

They ruined the place. Tried to go up market, done it all out, made it look posh and stopped selling Lambrini. They should have known their target market and stayed with it.

Like they say, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Oh i agree, was never as good as it was. Just more a nod to the memories im sure we all on here have from there. And how it was just. Different. A proper club, proper people, proper tunes.

Shame. Could have at least happened to fucking Jaks

fernandopartridge

Tbf it's been on the decline for years, two key events changed it:

2005 change to licensing laws
2007 smoking ban

It's never been quite the same since, used to be in there most weekends early 00s

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Tbf it's been on the decline for years, two key events changed it:

2005 change to licensing laws
2007 smoking ban

It's never been quite the same since, used to be in there most weekends early 00s

I'd also add that when a great friend of mine, Gus McGrath, passed away in 2011 aged just 54, things would have changed. His son took over. Gus was a diamond. One of the very best. RIP mate and RIP Scholars. 🥀

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Taken from the Telegraph...........

Attachments

• Gus McGrath.pdf
    199.3 KB · Views: 9

LastGarrison

Heard it was closing down a month or so back. Shame as I lived in that place most weekends for about 10 years and remember Raf once saying I was their best customer 🙈

Had some top times in there but as has been said after they done it up it never really was the same although I do think the emergence of Kasbah becoming a bit of a ‘super club’ also affected it and they didn’t have the ‘next generation’ coming through. Also, never really got into the student scene which was a missed trick as The Empire, Kasbah and JJ’s all benefit from mid-week student nights.

Although one thing I am glad of is that they didn’t have that photographer back then as that would have been car crash!!!

Bugsy

Don't blame them. Between covid and all the shootings up that way why not sell up and enjoy retirement.

That area is in a right state.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I haven’t been to a nightclub since roughly 2004 ( much preferred getting a late drink on a pub ) went to Chicago rock cafe on a night out with the lads I played 5aside with
It was a cattle market

Saddlebrains

Well that's shit. I can't even think of a place to go now if I wanted a night out

I agree. Think thats why i was gutted by the news.

Colly - students
Jaks - chavs and teenagers
Spongate - the wood end crowd
Castle - pretentious

Users who are viewing this thread