Schmeichel Doyle (1 Viewer)

AOM

Seeing Michael Doyle going in goal last night for Notts County (and remembering he's not actually retired yet) got me thinking, would he be considered a Coventry City club legend?

Although he wasn't as technical or good on the ball as Liam Kelly and struggled with the league one step up probably due to his age, I think he was still crucial to getting us up in that crap league two season and along with being in the all time top 10 player appearance list for the club, I'd reckon he is definitely a club legend.

Would be nice for him to get some kind of testimonial once he's retired and fans are attending games again.
Can't even remember the last testimonial game we had? Richard Shaw?

Torquay Sky Blue

I hope they didn't have to rely on his kicking when he went in goal.

Joking aside Tommy Hutch a legend so much as I thought Doyle was ok at lower levels. A legend...not for me.

oscillatewildly

Seeing Michael Doyle going in goal last night for Notts County (and remembering he's not actually retired yet) got me thinking, would he be considered a Coventry City club legend?

Although he wasn't as technical or good on the ball as Liam Kelly and struggled with the league one step up probably due to his age, I think he was still crucial to getting us up in that crap league two season and along with being in the all time top 10 player appearance list for the club, I'd reckon he is definitely a club legend.

Would be nice for him to get some kind of testimonial once he's retired and fans are attending games again.
It's an 'age thing' I guess. For those under 40, Probably 'yes'. If legendary status is achieved by longevity of service then again, yes.
I've got nothing against the guy but wouldn't class him a legend.

Grendel

not really. You have to admire his dedication as a professional and his desire to play but he in his first spell was at one point our highest paid player but not really that good

Reactions: AOM

Mcbean

We had a case of that - didn’t Hughes go in goal and did ok ? was it the same match Sian Massey took over from the ref ?

no_loyalty

We had a case of that - didn’t Hughes go in goal and did ok ? was it the same match Sian Massey took over from the ref ?

Hughes went in goal when Ian Bennett was sent off in a match at Highfield Road, I think he kept a clean sheet from memory.

The match where a woman took over from the ref was a midweek match at the Ricoh.

Legia Sky Blue

It depends on your personal definition of legend and how wide your scope is for 'legend' status. Although I always liked Doyle, in my near 50 years of watching City it would only be marginal whether he would make it into my top 50 favourite players during that time. He was however hugely influential in what ended up being one of our few successful seasons in the last 50 years, and I think it unlikely we would have got promoted that season without him. In that sense he is probably worthy of a status that is higher than just warranted by his comparative footballing skills.

oscillatewildly

It depends on your personal definition of legend and how wide your scope is for 'legend' status. Although I always liked Doyle, in my near 50 years of watching City it would only be marginal whether he would make it into my top 50 favourite players during that time. He was however hugely influential in what ended up being one of our few successful seasons in the last 50 years, and I think it unlikely we would have got promoted that season without him. In that sense he is probably worthy of a status that is higher than just warranted by his comparative footballing skills.
That's a 'No', then?

Skyblueweeman

Nope from me. Not yet.

If he manages us further down the line (nothing to suggest he will) and he's up there with MRs achievements then yes. But not yet.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

It's all relative. Sure MIchael Doyle not same class at Tommy Hutch, Peter Ndlovu, Kevin Gallagher, Garry Gillespie, Thommo, Dion, Keano, Bill Glazier or Cyrille (no doubt many others) etc but since our relegation he is best befitting of that title in the non top flight era.
I'd definitely class Terry Yorath to be a legend of our Club and Micheal Doyle played a similar role at club and stayed a lot longer too.

No doubt MD key person in best ever Sky Blues song, and yes I am serious .... 1-2-3-4

Last edited:

Adge

Was delighted when he left as him and Hughes were really punching above their weight in the Championship years before we went down. But without him pulling us up by the bootlaces in L2 we wouldn’t have got over the line.
In the Cyrille/Dion bracket? Not for me.

Great_Expectations

Not really seen anyone in my time that I would class in the same bracket as historical legends you hear/read about, so compared to someone like Jimmy Hill, then no.

So with that caveat, I would say Doyle is definitely as close as they come within my time as a fan. Never the most talented on the ball, but an absolute leader and his commitment and passion for the club can’t be questioned. Would love him back in some (non-playing) capacity over the next few years.

It’s a shame he left the way he did, he deserved a proper send off and a last show of appreciation from the fans.

Dazmataz

I was certainly a bigger fan of the comeback.

He helped us turn the tide when we were at our lowest, was instrumental in the supporters group, helped recruit a lot of the players who got us promoted, scored from the half way line and held the team together at times during the promotion season. I will never forget what he did for the club that season, of course he wasn't the same quality of players as Dion or some of the other players mentioned, but the bloke is an absolute hero in my eyes.

Hobo

For me it was Kelly coming back from injury that drove the promotion push.

Users who are viewing this thread