Scarves on cars (1 Viewer)

SBchimp

Couple of things that struck me on this weekends trip.
1. when did we stop putting scarves out the windows on cars? on the journey up to Huddersfield I saw only one car flying colours. Used to be loads doing it and the drive would have its own entertainment where you can point 🖕🏽 or wave 👌🏼 to other fans and acknowledge your own. The car in question was driven by a young lady in a purple shirt with a Sky Blue scarf out each side 👋🏼

2. secondly what a lovely bloke Doug King is. we both stopped at the petrol station at the services on the way back, he was in his Ferrari I was in my…… other car.. when we went in to pay I asked him if he felt fine when he woke up this morning. He laughed and said he did after that performance. Had a good chat for 5 mins, talked a bit about Ryan making his debut and how delighted he was for him etc etc. I very nice natural conversation from a nice guy with no airs or graces.

twat didn’t have a scarf out the window of his car though 😡

no_loyalty

1. when did we stop putting scarves out the windows on cars? on the journey up to Huddersfield I saw only one car flying colours. Used to be loads doing it and the drive would have its own entertainment where you can point 🖕🏽 or wave 👌🏼 to other fans and acknowledge your own. The car in question was driven by a young lady in a purple shirt with a Sky Blue scarf out each side 👋🏼

2. secondly what a lovely bloke Doug King is. we both stopped at the petrol station at the services on the way back, he was in his Ferrari I was in my…… other car.. when we went in to pay I asked him if he felt fine when he woke up this morning. He laughed and said he did after that performance. Had a good chat for 5 mins, talked a bit about Ryan making his debut and how delighted he was for him etc etc. I very nice natural conversation from a nice guy with no airs or graces.

The main question is, did he pay for your fuel?

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

You bought fuel from the motorway services - made of money you pair!

edgy

On point 1.

I think we need to start the scarves out of windows thing back up again. I remember it as a kid travelling on saturdays on motorways, you could spot loads of different club scarves. But you are right, it does seem to have died out.

We should make it a thing again.

Covkid1968#

I lost my 70s bar scarf out the window on the M1…. So it’s not without risk!! You just can’t get them anymore!!
My advice to anyone who’s thinking about trying it… if you want to do a wanker sign at other teams travelling fans is to wind down a different window to the one that is securing your scarf.

Astute

I lost my 70s bar scarf out the window on the M1…. So it’s not without risk!! You just can’t get them anymore!!
My advice to anyone who’s thinking about trying it… if you want to do a wanker sign at other teams travelling fans is to wind down a different window to the one that is securing your scarf.
I did the same. Except mine was to trade a few insults with a car of lads that pulled aside 🤣

Travs

Last time i did this was driving back from Hull away. Pulled in at a service station on the way home and was accosted by a minibus full of Scunthorpe "lads", who were heading over to me believing i was a Man CIty fan and worthy of a kicking.

Once they found out i was a city fan and we'd just beaten their rivals, they went on their way.... not before assuring me that they were the "worst fans in the country".

Dickheads.

WestEndAgro

Scarfs out for Blackpool, although I'm leaving Friday so don't expect to see that many.

Sky Blue Pete

On point 1.

I think we need to start the scarves out of windows thing back up again. I remember it as a kid travelling on saturdays on motorways, you could spot loads of different club scarves. But you are right, it does seem to have died out.

We should make it a thing again.
Yep

Astute

Or do this?
I always have a sky blue colour car with my COV plate. A slight giveaway 😁

Got to try and bring myself to selling my numberplate 😳 Had it well over 20 years but I leave the UK in a couple of weeks.

rob9872

I always have a sky blue colour car with my COV plate. A slight giveaway 😁

Got to try and bring myself to selling my numberplate 😳 Had it well over 20 years but I leave the UK in a couple of weeks.
Just take it off the car for £80 you dont need to pay to keep it off, it's yours. Then if you come back or your kids want it etc.

Skybluecol

Always tie it around the grab handle is the trick 👌

Astute

Just take it off the car for £80 you dont need to pay to keep it off, it's yours. Then if you come back or your kids want it etc.
I won't be coming back to live. And my elder lads support the clubs they were born in.

Covkid1968#

Always tie it around the grab handle is the trick 👌
Yes it really is…. One of life’s little lessons. Always wondered what became of my scarf… it went from being loved and cared for to finding itself homeless on the M1 somewhere between Cov and Newcastle. Things in life can change so quickly so be grateful for what you have.

Sky Blue Pete

I think scarves out the window is now considered to signal day-tripper and overall tinpottery. A bit like balloons and jester hats.

Sort of thing you'd associate with Leicester City.
Jester hat has been out for this new run of results so far from Tin pot more like essential

edgy

87 it was ribbons on cars - Everywhere all cars were decorated, not just match days.

Yes. Dad's Grandada Estate was adorned with sky blue ribbons on the way down to Cornwall that weekend. Watched the match on a 10" black and white TV, that ran off the car battery.

Johhny Blue

Yes it really is…. One of life’s little lessons. Always wondered what became of my scarf… it went from being loved and cared for to finding itself homeless on the M1 somewhere between Cov and Newcastle. Things in life can change so quickly so be grateful for what you have.
It’s probably being waved at Man City games now

Brylowes

Only time I’ve ever made the trip to Millwall back in 2010, had no plans to go but was up and about early and had work covered for the day, used to take my lad with me who used to love it but he did get very excited and shouty at football matches which was usually great ‘but this was Millwall.
I explained that if he wanted us to go he would have to promise me he wouldn’t shout, sing or wear any colours ‘at least until we’re safely in the Coventry section of the ground (I drive to the games and not from Cov, so when we arrive we are on our own until in the ground ) he agrees to the terms and off we go.

We come through the Rotherhithe tunnel see the New Den sign posted and pull off the Rotherhite new road onto a dodgy looking housing estate, driving slowly around the estate looking for a parking space I quickly notice that we’re attracting some attention from passing pedestrians, funny looks, and a few hand signals.
By now I’m confused as how would they know we’re here following CCFC, came to a head when a woman in her 60s at least raised two fingers and shouted Fuck Off so loud we heard it clearly inside the car.
Found a parking space on the edge of the estate and got out the car, it’s only then I realised my lad had thought it a good idea to hang a Cov scarf out of the back window 😂😂 we lost 3 v 1 as well 😫

Users who are viewing this thread