sbs&l group accounts 2018 (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Probably the same people that will tell you Wasps are business geniuses for moving the club halfway across the country.

What do people expect? We all know the legals won't be dropped so should the club just bet everything on Wasps changing their mind?

Wasps know the club is powerless. A chance to get shot of them without any PR fallout.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
The self appointed football finance expert Kieran Maguire has made the same claim that the club is £56m in debt. Frustrating as people will now quote him and it will be seen as fact.

He seems to struggle with the situation here, not sure why but errors in his statement have been pointed out to him before but he will never accept he has made a mistake.

Frankly for an academic who lectures on football finance he has got a lot wrong from the Twitter account I have seen.

Might have been 56m losses for the group since sisu got here but the club in its current form is otium not sbsl. The old losses went with the administration in effect. But just so no one is surprised otium accounts will show much more not because otium has made massive losses since 2013 but because of clever and legal accountancy.

There are 45 m loans and interest not 39m. But 29m is locked into sbsl and not a liability of otium.

Otium is the club not sbsl that is just an investment vehicle or holding company. Sbsl doesn't own the efl share.

The rents are for the stadium and the academy.

Wages increased in part because of a league calculation on pension outside of the club's control. If the wages are 82 % of turnover then the interest charge can't be covered can it. We know that because it hasn't been paid it has been added to debt so hasn't cost the fans anything yet.

The 500k loan is a revolving facility and was this that was repaid not other loans. That facility has increased in size in each of the last three years.

Yes there is a contingent asset of 650k but is that enough when we know of Maddison sale to Leicester?

Apart from that it's fine .....

Last edited:

Captain Dart

It would be remiss of any director not to have other options
Agreed. What annoys me is that Boddy & Fisher deny that in the media (there is only plan A the Ricoh) and some people swallow it hook line and sinker.

It is clear too if push comes to shove that the EFL will allow a groundshare in the the reasonable hope and expectation a Ricoh deal can be made before too long, by which I mean up to 2 years, though most likely one.

It is also obvious that piling nearly £2m interest on the club every year isn't sustainable, it is done to build debt on the books. What in your opinion is a realistic interest charge on Otium considering what has been put in?

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed. What annoys me is that Boddy & Fisher deny that in the media (there is only plan A the Ricoh) and some people swallow it hook line and sinker.

It is clear too if push comes to shove that the EFL will allow a groundshare in the the reasonable hope and expectation a Ricoh deal can be made before too long, by which I mean up to 2 years, though most likely one.

The club has no ability to stop SISU’s legals. It did however voluntarily leave in 2013 but the EFL rubber stamped it. Like punishing a child for their parent’s crimes.

Colin Steins Smile

Frankly for an academic who lectures on football finance he has got a lot wrong from the Twitter account I have seen.

Might have been 56m losses for the group since sisu got here but the club in its current form is otium not sbsl. The old losses went with the administration in effect. But just so no one is surprised otium accounts will show much more not because otium has made massive losses since 2013 but because of clever and legal accountancy.

There are 45 m loans and interest not 39m. But 29m is locked into sbsl and not a liability of otium.

Otium is the club not sbsl that is just an investment vehicle or holding company. Sbsl doesn't own the efl share.

The rents are for the stadium and the academy.

Wages increased in part because of a league calculation on pension outside of the club's control. If the wages are 82 % of turnover then the interest charge can't be covered can it. We know that because it hasn't been paid it has been added to debt so hasn't cost the fans anything yet.

The 500k loan is a revolving facility and was this that was repaid not other loans. That facility has increased in size in each of the last three years.

Yes there is a contingent asset of 650k but is that enough when we know of Maddison sale to Leicester?

Apart from that it's fine .....
Really appreciate your analysis OSB of the accounts.

I have a question regarding the value of the club as an ongoing trading entity to SISU. My question relates to the rate of interest that the SISU charge to it's companies and despite the fact they do not receive any repayment of the accrued amount.......is this figure of value to SISU as a debt and are they able to offset this against the Corporation Tax bill for SISU overall?
Therefore, indirectly reducing their liability to HMRC

Happy_Martian

Hmm, silly thought (no need to shoot me down over it). Wonder if by refusing to deal with the club over the rent, are Wasps trying to distress Otium to a point where they can put in a silly bid for the club and beat SISU at their own game ? Some money back for investors would be better for Joy than having the club be dissolved with zero to show for it.

Happy_Martian

I have a question regarding the value of the club as an ongoing trading entity to SISU. My question relates to the rate of interest that the SISU charge to it's companies and despite the fact they do not receive any repayment of the accrued amount.......is this figure of value to SISU as a debt and are they able to offset this against the Corporation Tax bill for SISU overall?

There was general talk a couple of years ago about CCFC being used as a tax relief tool for SISU. But that got shouted down.

Nick

Administrator
Hmm, silly thought (no need to shoot me down over it). Wonder if by refusing to deal with the club over the rent, are Wasps trying to distress Otium to a point where they can put in a silly bid for the club and beat SISU at their own game ? Some money back for investors would be better for Joy than having the club be dissolved with zero to show for it.

Isn't that why Hoffman is being mentioned again? ;)

Magwitch

Could be at the moment which ever way you look the road for sisu seems blocked, Nuneaton ground, unavailable, as is Butts Park Arena and the EFL stipulation of having to play our home games within 6 miles of the city centre for example Ryton on Dunsmore is 5.9 miles from Broadgate so other than BPA I don’t know anywhere within that 6 mile boundary suitable.,But I’m certain sisu will have done their homework they ain’t daft. I think it’s still a case of who blinks first

fernandopartridge

SISU have a charge over the club's most valuable asset which is Ryton, so no

shmmeee

People on social media seem upset that the club seem to be looking at other options than the Ricoh. Did they really expect them not to?

They’d be massively incompetent if they weren’t. The fact they’re leaving this late is pretty incompetent as it is.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director

It is also obvious that piling nearly £2m interest on the club every year isn't sustainable, it is done to build debt on the books. What in your opinion is a realistic interest charge on Otium considering what has been put in?

It doesnt really matter what i think. They charge around 16% pa for what is basically risky lending. You could argue it is a bit high but there is no formula of the right interest rate

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director

It isnt SISU making the loan it is ARVO. Assuming they feel it is recoverable then the ARVO fund value increases as the debt increases. SISU of course manage the funds so i assume take a management fee based on performance from that fund (i am not saying from Otium)

It would be a tax charge not a tax relief in the hands of ARVO at the moment if they have to pay tax

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
SISU have a charge over the club's most valuable asset which is Ryton, so no

Going to be pedantic fp sorry :) it is ARVO with the charge not SISU although everything points to SISU controlling ARVO

shmmeee

More worried about the plan b!

Anything is a holding pattern until the legals finish.

Either Sisu will have a route to the Ricoh, or they will have to face the reality of needing to build a new ground/sell up to someone who will.

While I’d love us to wait it out in Cov, I’d take a couple of years elsewhere to save the club in the mean time. (Of course as a current iFollow fan it’s easy for me to say that).

shmmeee

Isn't the Maddison money likely to be paid in instalments and could therefore be in more than 1 set of accounts? That will probably be the same for the McNulty fee.

How is that represented on the books because surely it’s a debt? Our spending seems to go in one lump and we surely pay that in instalments.

Captain Dart

How is that represented on the books because surely it’s a debt? Our spending seems to go in one lump and we surely pay that in instalments.
Surely only define payments are accounted, those contingent on appearances etc. won't show.

Ps there is a "contingent asset of fees due on player sales" of £650k in the report.

shmmeee

Surely only define payments are accounted, those contingent on appearances etc. won't show.

Ps there is a "contingent asset of fees due on player sales" of £650k in the report.

The Madders sell on cash would all be due on sale though right?

ovduk78

The Madders sell on cash would all be due on sale though right?
Leicester will be paying Norwich for Maddison in instalments over a couple of years so any money owed to us by Norwich will also be paid in instalments and not in a lump sum. I would expect, although I am not an accountant, that each instalment that we receive through the financial year is added together and included in player sales.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I see the CT have done their own analysis............. i gave up as soon as they said Sky Blue Sports & Leisure Limited had made an operational loss of £1.6m. It hasnt the group has, SBS&L doesn't trade at all, Otium made the loss............. usual lack of understanding dont know why i was surprised. Even misquotes the audit report by quoting Fisher in the strategic report......... the clue is that section is signed by Fisher :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread