SBIC - day 1 (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

Took my lad to footie camp this morning and given that we live in Leics the journey was all about his mixing with fellow City fans for probably the first time in his short footballing life. He plays footie on a Sat but its always with LCFC supporters and rightly so.

So it was with some embarrassment that when I got there all I saw was Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal shirts.

Its a great set up and the bloke coaching was really impressive - but I just have very little respect for parents who don't grasp the importance of their kid supporting their home town club.

Maybe I just need to lower my expectations a bit

Maybe the City kids were all turning up late - I'll see later when I pick him up!!!!:thinking about::thinking about:

Nick

Administrator
To be fair mate who do you want these young lads to see as their idols? Carl bloody Baker? You can't really blame them.

James Maddison is one my young lad likes because 'he's like Messi' according to him and he even spent the money we gave him for his birthday on the new shirt with Maddison 10 on the back. I can see him being a hero to younger fans and hopefully us older lot too.
my idol was Peter ndlovu, hardly world famous was he?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It is odd can only assume the parents don't have the passion most of us on here have, my lads 6 weeks old and he won't get a look in at choosing his club it's Coventry City Football Club, it's a rite of passage, already has the ccfc baby grows and sky blue Sam soft toy.

I've had this conversation with him at only a few days old 99.9% of decisions in life YOU can choose, your career, friends, car, partner etc your club isn't one of them

Hobo

Kids are naturally drawn to the big teams, but events like that help them to connect with their local club. I had a city strip for my birthday around the time they were promoted to top flight. I loved it but it didn't mean a lot, I was only 6. Then I flirted with being a Man City fan. Then around 12/13 I got a free ticket through school to watch a Coventry game. From then on I started going to home games with mates and never looked back. It wasn't long before I started going to away games too. (I never had the benefit of a parent pushing me to be a Coventry fan).

I wouldn't get too hung up about it. But the club needs to realise their work in the community does generate fans.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Kids are naturally drawn to the big teams, but events like that help them to connect with their local club. I had a city strip for my birthday around the time they were promoted to top flight. I loved it but it didn't mean a lot, I was only 6. Then I flirted with being a Man City fan. Then around 12/13 I got a free ticket through school to watch a Coventry game. From then on I started going to home games with mates and never looked back. It wasn't long before I started going to away games too. (I never had the benefit of a parent pushing me to be a Coventry fan).

I wouldn't get too hung up about it. But the club needs to realise their work in the community does generate fans.

Agree every kid should be given a free ticket to a home game for he or she and one adult & then given a voucher for a half price shirt and another free match ticket with a full paying adult or something along those lines try and get them hooked.

skybluetony176

It start's at school. I'm successfully guiding my youngest into being a sky blue but my eldest decided years ago that she's a Liverpool fan. Based solely on it being the most commonly supported team in her class.

lifeskyblue

Took my lad to footie camp this morning and given that we live in Leics the journey was all about his mixing with fellow City fans for probably the first time in his short footballing life. He plays footie on a Sat but its always with LCFC supporters and rightly so.

So it was with some embarrassment that when I got there all I saw was Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal shirts.

Its a great set up and the bloke coaching was really impressive - but I just have very little respect for parents who don't grasp the importance of their kid supporting their home town club.

Maybe I just need to lower my expectations a bit

Maybe the City kids were all turning up late - I'll see later when I pick him up!!!!:thinking about::thinking about:

We too live in Leicester. Son is now 12 but was bought his first season ticket aged 6. Already had the strips etc. went also with my dad who lived in cov. we didn't go whilst at Northampton and offered to take son to Leicester that season. He didn't want a season ticket but we did go to a few games and he is a more committed Coventry fan than ever. I told him that as he is a Leicester kid I would be ok (not exactly happy) if he supported the foxes but he said he is and always will be sky blue. Has any dad ever been prouder? I'm sure as he grows he will want to go with friends rather than his dad and that may alter his club of choice. He plays for a Sunday league team where all are Chelsea or Man U fans with a few Leicester thrown in. He has mickey taken out of him BUT again this season he is the only one with a season ticket to watch his preferred club. The majority of his mates have never been to a live game... I heard one lad tell him 'you will never be as good as "us" ' and when I asked him who he supported he said Man U but couldn't tell me who they were playing next or their last few results. He really can't understand why friends support a team they can never go and watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

In 2015 football's pumped directly into your eyeballs everywhere you look now so you can see how kids would be drawn towards the 'big' teams and players. When I first got interested it was the days in the late 80s when ITV would show the occasional first division game if they could be arsed winding the camera up so outside of whichever team's nearest there wasn't a lot else catching my eye.

Ashdown

I live in SW Leics too and it's fair to say that the locals do back their own sides and there are 'Tigers' and LCFC shirts everywhere.................but then they fell on the right side of the fence didn't they, they got a generous and passionate multi millionaire owner and we got a load of fortune seeking sharks and the respective clubs went there separate ways after being very similar in stature for decades. Still lots of CCFC fans here though but just not so prominent as we used to be.

Sky Blue Pete

My lad wouldn't dream of following any other team than Coventry and was so proud of his first city top for this season!!

fernandopartridge

I live in SW Leics too and it's fair to say that the locals do back their own sides and there are 'Tigers' and LCFC shirts everywhere.................but then they fell on the right side of the fence didn't they, they got a generous and passionate multi millionaire owner and we got a load of fortune seeking sharks and the respective clubs went there separate ways after being very similar in stature for decades. Still lots of CCFC fans here though but just not so prominent as we used to be.

You've identified the reason why they got a millionaire and Coventry didn't. They've had sustained good support whilst ours has been mediocre.

Ashdown

You've identified the reason why they got a millionaire and Coventry didn't. They've had sustained good support whilst ours has been mediocre.

Partly right maybe but the story goes as I know it is that the Thai's son went to university in Leicester and enjoyed it so much that when his Dad was looking at buying a club in England he insisted it be LCFC. So for all those in Cov complaining about the prominence of the two Uni's in Cov just remember lightening might strike twice and one of the thousands of Oriental students in town might come from a very wealthy family, make sure they feel welcome !

ccfcway

don't panic, the camp has only just started. We are hopefully at bringing in some cov fans before it closes

:D

SlowerThanPlatt

Tbh when Cov and Leicester were last on a par with each other (PL days) we averaged more every season. Unfortunately we haven't been a par with them squad wise, money wise, optimism wise for the best part of 15 years now.

SlowerThanPlatt

We fall out of the Prem at the worst time possible, right before all the money was coming in and investors were looking for clubs who could go to the next level which would have been us with the plans for the Ricoh and that we were already a main stay there for years. Who knows where we could be now if the Ricoh was built when it should have been. Look at Saints and Leicester - not regularly filling their old grounds up in the PL, new big shiny stadium comes round and they've suddenly got 30,000 there.

Moff

It start's at school. I'm successfully guiding my youngest into being a sky blue but my eldest decided years ago that she's a Liverpool fan. Based solely on it being the most commonly supported team in her class.

Change her school Tony. ;)

Seriously though my kids schools are just the same, packed with glory supporters who have no idea about the team they support.

Moff

Tbh when Cov and Leicester were last on a par with each other (PL days) we averaged more every season. Unfortunately we haven't been a par with them squad wise, money wise, optimism wise for the best part of 15 years now.

Yes but as a City we got the the brains and the looks so at least there is one positive over our less illustrious neighbours.

Hobo

Change her school Tony. ;)

Seriously though my kids schools are just the same, packed with glory supporters who have no idea about the team they support.

I find it is the same at work, Man Utd and Liverpool mainly. I've been to Old Trafford and Anfield more times than they have. You always know when the Villa are doing well, because you become aware of who supports Villa. But most the time they are fairly quiet. I always respect the Birmingham, Leicester and Walsall fans because it normally their home town club. Plus we have Boro fan, Middlesborough that is; but it is his home town.

lifeskyblue

I find it is the same at work, Man Utd and Liverpool mainly. I've been to Old Trafford and Anfield more times than they have. You always know when the Villa are doing well, because you become aware of who supports Villa. But most the time they are fairly quiet. I always respect the Birmingham, Leicester and Walsall fans because it normally their home town club. Plus we have Boro fan, Middlesborough that is; but it is his home town.

Yes respect those who support their home town club. We have sheff Utd, hull, qpr, Northampton and Walsall as well as Leicester fans ....all go fairly regularly or are season ticket holders. Whereas those that say they are Man U or arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea never go but talk big on a Monday morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

To be fair mate who do you want these young lads to see as their idols? Carl bloody Baker? You can't really blame them.

If parents take their kids to games there's a good chance they'll pick one of our players as a favourite. Even more so if they join the JSBs and get to meet some of the squad. If the only football they see is on TV then they're obviously going to support one of the big teams.

Nick

Administrator
If parents take their kids to games there's a good chance they'll pick one of our players as a favourite. Even more so if they join the JSBs and get to meet some of the squad. If the only football they see is on TV then they're obviously going to support one of the big teams.
exactly, it is down to the parents too! At the jsb party there were still plenty of kids with ccfc players as hero's.

Users who are viewing this thread