Save Our City (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

http://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/save-city-new-campaign-coventry-city-f-c-academy-stadium/

THE Observer’s ‘Save Our City’ campaign – launched today – calls on the city of Coventry to focus on keeping our cherished 133-year-old football club – and its vital youth academy.

Coventry City F.C’s managing director Chris Anderson rightly states it appears the club bearing the city’s name is being squeezed out of Coventry, with rugby newcomers Wasps taking priority.

Coventry’s authorities must not renege on the city being for ‘all sports’, which must include the Sky Blues.

Jonathan Strange, biographer of 1987 FA Cup hero Keith Houchen and Coventry City Supporters’ Consultative Group chairman, articulates (on this website two days ago) why the city must do more to support its historic sporting pillars, the Sky Blues and Coventry rugby club – both much valued by all who have cared through the generations.

Fans’ group the Sky Blue Trust has also launched an @SaveOurAcademy campaign.

The Alan Higgs Centre-based academy is not just the struggling club’s lifeblood, producing stars like Callum Wilson and James Maddison. It’s where thousands of youngsters develop and form identities with their local club.

In 2014, then ‘London Wasps’ were gifted the Ricoh Arena by Coventry City Council and Alan Edward Higgs Charity on a huge 250-year lease not offered to the Sky Blues it was built for – a decision involving taxpayers’ money rightly open to legal challenge.

Last week, Wasps submitted a detailed council planning application to move in to the purpose-built football club academy’s home, where there are also plans for a council-supported 50-metre swimming pool.

Wasps’ planning documents fail to state how the football club’s academy would survive.

Despite some claims, we can today reveal leaked emails to the football club and others prove Mr Anderson’s claims the Sky Blues HAD repeatedly sought talks over staying at the centre after a lease expires next June.

Paul Breed, of the centre’s operators the Coventry Sports Foundation, re-iterated in an April 28 email that the club’s academy arrangements WOULD expire next June, while he offered “assisting the club to find an alternative accommodation of their Academy facilities especially if they were to be located within the city.”

On Sunday (June 5) he wrote to “confirm that The Foundation will not be intending to extend any of the current arrangements in relation to the Academy’s location at The Alan Higgs Centre site beyond their expiry dates of 30th June 2017.”

Our campaign calls on the council, the club’s owners and all relevant institutions to support:

1. Keeping the successful Sky Blues academy with all current ‘Category 2 excellence’ facilities in Coventry.

2. Keeping the Sky Blues in Coventry at a stadium which makes the club more financially viable, benefiting from around-the-clock commercial stadium revenues currently going to Wasps, and keeping an OPEN MIND on potential options.

We exclusively revealed last November alternative proposals to groundshare with Cov rugby at an expanded 15-25,000 Butts Park Arena. We also revealed a council email in January proposed blocking the Butts move.

As with previous club and stadium owners – there appears to be an unviable economic conflict of interest at the Wasps-owned Ricoh.

The Sky Blues as tenants claim they received a paltry circa £75,000 in matchday revenues last season, with the rest going to indebted Wasps.

It appears this conflict of interest won’t be resolved were Wasps to acquire ownership of everything including CCFC, as some mysteriously believe might happen.

A sale by owners Sisu of the currently valueless club seems even less likely than in 2013, when attempts to oust them through a hopefully not-to-be-repeated damaging administration process failed.

Nick

Administrator
1. Keeping the successful Sky Blues academy with all current ‘Category 2 excellence’ facilities in Coventry.

2. Keeping the Sky Blues in Coventry at a stadium which makes the club more financially viable, benefiting from around-the-clock commercial stadium revenues currently going to Wasps, and keeping an OPEN MIND on potential options.

I dont think anybody can disagree with that can they?

Surely it should be 1 big thing though, rather than this one, a trust one etc.

SkyBlueZack

I await the Reid is SISU's mouthpiece and he's in their pockets. Strange how the trust can't back the football club but the Observer does. Sorry state of affairs.

Calista

I like nearly all of what the Observer are saying, and agree that we need concerted pressure and effort from all sides to foster a solution. It would help if this pitiful rivalry between the two papers didn’t keep surfacing – I mean, it’s now “The Observer’s ‘Save Our City’ campaign” is it? How does taking ownership of it like that help?

To have any chance of moving forward, I do think the football club (SISU) need to show a willingness to contribute and actually invest in the facilities and revenue-generating activities that we all agree the club needs. If they demonstrate that, and CCC/Wasps/CSF still put the boot in, I’ll be marching alongside Grendel with my pitchfork. On the other hand, if all CCFC do is keep playing the victim card and seeking something for nothing, I will be very fearful indeed for our survival.

It’s a very precarious situation, but I do feel the last couple of days are at least bringing matters to a head.

SkyBlueZack

If the Observer wants to mount a public campaign, let's get rid of the owners or fold and do a Wimbledon - at least there is something honourable in that.

I thought Telegraph comments were bad.

SkyBlueZack

Yet if you comment on the Telegraph comments you're a SISU troll. There they are though trolling around newspaper websites. Couldn't make it up.

Monners

The London Supporters Club takes a neutral stance. It's about supporting the team. It's why Mr Strange left.

Grendel

Isn't that head case Cj Parker aka oucho something to do with them?

He's a wanker whose permanently up wasps arse.
The London Supporters Club takes a neutral stance. It's about supporting the team. It's why Mr Strange left.

eedyut

So a small media firm Bullivant Media own the Observer? They do seem to be a lot closer to the heart of Covheads than the Mirror Telegraph and the local BBC on lots of issues, what a surprise!

They're never taken seriously though, the amount of times I've asked people if they've seen a certain article in there and it's blank stares or scoffing are countless. Fair play to them, but in the age of the brand we need higher profile. Like what has been said before; ex-players, staff, celeb? fans etc.

KG7

Great campaign, great article, shite logo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ccfctommy

So now we have two seperate campaigns designed to save the acadamy, both are backed by the two newspapers in the City.

You really couldn't make this up.

coop

Does anybody know is the £75,000 they earned over the season including match day tickets or just the famous F&B revenue ?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Good that things have started to get done. I agree with Nick though "I cant see why this cant be worked with the trust, it just needs to be 1 big thing rather than 10 little things."

One question I would like clarified as it seems that the observer has been given access to the club emails. What was the first date that the club said to CSF we want to stay past June 2017?. It must be on file somewhere

fernandopartridge

If SISU just fecked off, I'm certain none of this crap would be happening.

Well, it would. SISU go tomorrow but Wasps will still want to build a training centre and will still want to establish themselves in Coventry, preferably as the number 1 team.

fernandopartridge

On the campaign, the CSF have other sites that CCFC could explore using? I haven't been to the AT7 for years and have never been to the Xcel in Canley. Are either of these sites potentially suitable for CCFC to base an academy at?

torchomatic

Well, it would. SISU go tomorrow but Wasps will still want to build a training centre and will still want to establish themselves in Coventry, preferably as the number 1 team.

And the whole City Of Rugby thing gives them carte blanche to do what the hell they want. Cheered on by some CCFC fans.

Nick

Administrator
On the campaign, the CSF have other sites that CCFC could explore using? I haven't been to the AT7 for years and have never been to the Xcel in Canley. Are either of these sites potentially suitable for CCFC to base an academy at?

I am not sure there is space at At7 for a full size indoor pitch now they have the pool.

rupert_bear

The Observer ? The next time I get one through my door will be the first time, who gets it ? What day ? You are all talking as if there is a mass circulation of it

torchomatic

The Observer ? The next time I get one through my door will be the first time, who gets it ? What day ? You are all talking as if there is a mass circulation of it

At least they are doing something. What exactly is the city's "premier" newspaper doing?

ajsccfc

The XCel covers a fair bit of space, but I don't know how much expansion potential there is as the WMG Academy has just been built next door.

Monners

Isn't that head case Cj Parker aka oucho something to do with them?

He's a wanker whose permanently up wasps arse.
Don't know anyone of that name. Haven't heard anyone in the Club that I know say anything positive about Wasps.

Users who are viewing this thread