Video Save Cam | Doncaster (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Also remember, their keeper made a couple of great saves - especially the one from Davies, coupled with that sitter Jordan Willis missed. So yes - under the cosh second half, but could have been 3 or 4 up at half time.

luwalla

Rubbish. Excellent defence it’s all part of the game
Rubbish... we ride our luck , we sat back on the edge of our box for the whole second half of the game and gave their players far too much space on the ball.

They scored one and very nearly scored a second. That isn’t ‘excellent defending’ ... excellent defending would be a clean sheet

The second half display was a little naive and something they will hopefully learn from

Last edited:

DionDublinsJockstrap

Rubbish... we ride our luck , we sat back on the edge of our box for the whole second half of the game and gave their players far too much space on the ball.

They scored one and very nearly scored a second. That isn’t ‘excellent defending’ ... excellent defending would be a clean sheet

The second half display was a little naive and something they will hopefully learn from
Sorry mate. My reading of it was that Mark Robbins with a 2-0 lead didn't want the game to become an end to end open affair. I may be wrong but the positioning of the two banks of four was quite deliberate seemed. As has been said previously they didn't get a hatful of chances. We were incredibly well organised and very strong defensively in that second half? You might disagree with the tactics, and every fan is nervous at any score line less than being three up, but the players were as good in the second half as they were in the first, just in a completely different part of the pitch.

luwalla

I stand by my view... it was Russian roulette, To sit that deep and try and defend a lead for a whole half of a game.

As I say they scored one and almost pulled level on a couple of other occasions. When they almost equalise with a second goal in the dying minutes , I don’t see why you would t think that we rode our luck

Didn’t robins say in his post match interview that we rode our luck a bit and were maybe lucky to come away with the win too ?

Sky Blue Pete

So what do you think about our second half?
I agree with robins. We kept 4-4-2 and allowed Doncaster to come onto us. They had lots of the but did very little. We were struggling in midfield and so Kelly for Bayliss was a good move to gain some ground in the centre. It didn’t change the pattern of the game and Chaplin started playing in midfield. Thomas did well to break play but we couldn’t string a pass together an stopped playing with any pattern going forward. At the back Davies and Willis were excellent and Sterling was very competent. Rovers started to get joy down the right hand side as Hiwula ran out of energy a little. They scored from a mistake by Kelly who should have just cleared the way he was facing. So Jones for Chaplin was the about and Hiwula went up front. Again a reasonable change to exploit the counter attack and we had a couple of moments but didn’t make the most of them. Agogo coming on made a bit of a difference but we really didn’t hang on. Sure they had a chance last minute but it wasn’t an Alamo situation and I trust robins when he says there were tired legs.

We won the game by defending very well second half

Sky Blue Harry H

So what do you think about our second half?

I agree about the second half, but the following is from the Doncaster Rovers forum

We need to defend better as a team without a doubt it's ok saying if we had finished our chances, but Coventry could easily have been 3 or 4 or by half time

mds

I thought that we set out in the 2nd half to defend a 2 goal lead and nothing else, game management, it was weak game management but thats how i saw it, no other way to explain the sitting back two banks of four and no-one wanting to get forward. whatever it was it worked, we won, on to the 6th!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I agree with robins. We kept 4-4-2 and allowed Doncaster to come onto us. They had lots of the but did very little. We were struggling in midfield and so Kelly for Bayliss was a good move to gain some ground in the centre. It didn’t change the pattern of the game and Chaplin started playing in midfield. Thomas did well to break play but we couldn’t string a pass together an stopped playing with any pattern going forward. At the back Davies and Willis were excellent and Sterling was very competent. Rovers started to get joy down the right hand side as Hiwula ran out of energy a little. They scored from a mistake by Kelly who should have just cleared the way he was facing. So Jones for Chaplin was the about and Hiwula went up front. Again a reasonable change to exploit the counter attack and we had a couple of moments but didn’t make the most of them. Agogo coming on made a bit of a difference but we really didn’t hang on. Sure they had a chance last minute but it wasn’t an Alamo situation and I trust robins when he says there were tired legs.

We played with fire in the second half and got away with it. The tactics and gameplay wasn't really right.

You could see from the 46th minute that our players were told not to get forward. It invites pressure and I don't think anyone around us was surprised when they scored.

As it was they failed to score again but had a few chances where they could have done. If they had I doubt people would be so happy as they are. It's great to win but the shine was taken off for me a little bit. We need to learn a bit from this game, and the Bradford one. There's loads of positives but we've probably ridden our luck with complacency for now.

luwalla

or by actually scoring goals in the first half...

And people keep saying they think we set out to do what we did second half, or that they agree with robins set up in second half , which was clearly to defend deep etc... I suggest you go and watch Luke thomas's man of the match interview " At half time the manager told us to go out and do the same as the first half, so he wasn't too happy when we came in after the match" so I guess that puts that one to bed... it would have been a crazy tactic & one I'm glad didn't come from the manager.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread