Sammy Clingan (1 Viewer)

ccfc luke

Now that carsley has come in and been made captain, sammy clingans place in the team has been basically taken away. Obviously as carsley is captain then Aidy is going to choose him in the starting eleven almost everygame and carsley' and clingans rolls in the team are similar so i dont think that clingan has a space in the team anymore.

Which i think is a real shame because i thought last year that he was our best outfield player and is a real quality player. What are your views and do you think that he could be used in the team with carsley?

wexfordskyblue

Facebook User
I think its Vital we can keep quility throughout the squad, carsley cannot play 50 games this season,and Sammy well play a key role for city in any promotion push. this is the first season in a long time city have competion for places throughout the squad. look who was sitting on man citys bench on saturday!! PUSB:p

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
I really think sammy should be playing he really was our main man in midfield last year and he can do it again this year, i think AB should start playing as he is a first team regular otherwise i think he will look for a move if not and id hate to loose him.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
I think we should trust AB. He now has a squad where there is competition for places and as he said, he can pick the best 11 depending on who we're playing. I won't be surprise to see a few changes for Saturday, maybe Sammy will get his chance then.

smileycov

Facebook User
it's great that the likes of Doyler is keeping sammy out beacuse he is playing so well. That is how a squad should work in my opinion, just think how well sammy will play to keep his place when the opportunity arrives!! great stuff

Demuleccfc

I dont think its a case of being replaced by Carsley as Doyler is playing alonside him and i would say Clingan is similar to both players, i just think at the moment for whatever reason AB prefers Dolyer to both Clingan and Gunna... i guess time will tell but competition for places is never a bad thing and with Deegan to come back it'll be any two from five!

Nick

Administrator
I think it is that as Carsley has not got the legs any more he might have 10 years ago then Doyle does. Clingan was not much of a runner (not like Doyle) so Carsley bosses it and Doyle does the running.

6 Generations

I have a slightly different view on this, and it is thus.
Now this view may be biased, as i actually think that Aidy Boothroyd is a great motivator, psychologist and manager.Prior to the Portsmouth game not one Skyblues fan could possibly have predicted that our preferred centre back pairing would be Turner and Cameron. To a man, each of us were shocked at the team selection. Had the Coventry Telegraph run a fans poll with regard to the expected centre back pairing, then, i suggest that a Wood/McPake combination would have received a large majority vote. Additionally most of us expected Clingan and certainly not Doyle to be partnering Carsley, and i personally did not expect to see Bell (our most consistent player to date).Last year if all three of Clingan, Wood and McPake were fit, or even sometimes nearly fit, their names would have been on the starting sheet. Westwood and Morrison would also be on that list.
What i am saying is that regardless of form, and i exclude the brilliant Westwood from this, all the other players knew that they were going to play!!!!
This could not be condusive to an atmosphere of hunger or desire, hence, this may be a reason for our alarmingly poor end of season form.(Again!!!!!)
I am not saying that these players will be out of favour all season, and i think that our squad is looking much stronger, but i do believe that our Aidy makes his own decisions and judgements, based on what he sees with his own eyes. Morecambe aside, and, may i say i was very disappointed with our players for failing to take their chances, despite the fact that there was much experience in that team selection; Aidy Boothroyd has been totally justified in his team selections.

All of this says to me, that it doesn't matter who the players think they are or how good they think they are, in the future, they will be picked on merit!!!

PUSB

Nick

Administrator
That is the best way. I don't care if we sign Regis and Houchen up front tommorow as long as they are in better form and playing better than our other options.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Agreed, I'm just going to leave the squad-picking to AB. I think 6 Generations has a good theory which makes a lot of sense. A cynic might say that Clingan is on his way out (not me personally! Although the hardened cynical fans would be thinking along those lines about the Clingan situation right now)

CovLis86

The only worry is that Clingan, Gunnar etc, any player who isnt starting currently, will get frustrated with lack of playing time and want to leave. This is where AB has to excel, because he has to keep the players wanting to try harder to win a place, rather than the opposite of sulking and giving up and handing in a transfer request. Its a great system when it works, lets just hope for our sake that AB is the man that can.

Users who are viewing this thread