Sammy Clingan - Don't shoot the messenger... (1 Viewer)

mexico88

“@LeedsUnited_MAD: #lufc #ccfc #rumour Leeds have agreed a fee for Coventry City captain Sammy Clingan, talks to be held first thing in the morning apparently.”

skybluegod

dont really care, hes not great imo opinion and whenever he plays we have possesion because we pass sideways and backwards, but most of the time we lose because we dont go forward much rather thorn be allowed to get somone new in even though clingan could be quality if he passed forward.

ccfcway

well we are down, so if we get £1 for him now, its better than paying his wages for next 5 months and getting 0 for him in the summer.

"Deal"

Nathccfc

That was the rumour about three days ago, I remember reading it then and mentioning it on another thread

shmmeee

We accepted an offer for him from Leeds before and talks broke down due to his demands. Wouldn't hold your breath.

As with Juke, if we're not going to try and get out of the shit, we may as well cash in on any Championship quality players now...

Otis

Clingan for me has been a big disappointment. The sort of player you expect to grab a game by the scruff of it's neck and dictate play. Can hardly name any game where that has happened with him and he has a tendency to drift in and out of games.

Lord_Nampil

Another player we dont really want at the club, and to be fair all season has he really wanted to be here?? I dont think so id get rid and use his wages to bulk us up untill end of the season!

Snozzer

No great loss IMO, far too slow, spends most games chasing players but never catching them or passing sideways. Very overrated.

ccfc_Tom

Never rated him that much, if we can get 1mil for him take it. only issue is we wont see this 1million anyway so itd just be like him leaving on a free but we'll actually get another few months out of him. we wont sign a replacement.

shmmeee

Never rated him that much, if we can get 1mil for him take it. only issue is we wont see this 1million anyway so itd just be like him leaving on a free but we'll actually get another few months out of him. we wont sign a replacement.

If we do I'd expect it to be a short term free/loan signing on less wages. I'd imagine Clingan is one of the top earners, so to be fair, considering what he adds to the team I'd have no issue with us letting him go in the name of getting anyone else in for less.

Nonleagueherewecome

I thought he was brilliant for the first 3-4 games this season until he started playing through injury. I'd say the burden of captaincy in a side with lots of kids hasn't helped, but there is little doubt that he was busting a gut when he was first appointed! He was the only guy in midfield up to Championship standard and he was trying to do it all on his own. Remember those tackles and blocks in the area against Birmingham? Not to mention that he's been our best midfielder since we signed him; he doesn't always pass backwards-the ball out to an over-lapping Wood to set up Lukas a few months ago was our pass of the season IMO.

For the past few seasons, no Sammy= no win; those two 10-game winless streaks under Coleman coincided with his injuries. But we can't afford to keep him, so he must be shit now, right? Until he turns up elsewhere doing really well, like Bothroyd, Best etc.

shmmeee

I thought he was brilliant for the first 3-4 games this season until he started playing through injury. I'd say the burden of captaincy in a side with lots of kids hasn't helped, but there is little doubt that he was busting a gut when he was first appointed! He was the only guy in midfield up to Championship standard and he was trying to do it all on his own. Remember those tackles and blocks in the area against Birmingham? Not to mention that he's been our best midfielder since we signed him; he doesn't always pass backwards-the ball out to an over-lapping Wood to set up Lukas a few months ago was our pass of the season IMO.

For the past few seasons, no Sammy= no win; those two 10-game winless streaks under Coleman coincided with his injuries. But we can't afford to keep him, so he must be shit now, right? Until he turns up elsewhere doing really well, like Bothroyd, Best etc.

Not that he's shit, although I do think he's one of those players who would be better in a better team. Just that if by getting rid we can get another 2 players in it's probably worth it.

I should also point out that I think we're down and am just so sick of it all, so think we may as well flog everyone off, get the losses down and hope it attracts a buyer.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah, plus of course we won't replace him with 2 new players, you know that; we'll replace him with a teenager on loan, if we're bleedin lucky!

Nathccfc

i think we should give Keogh the captaincy back, looks and shows on the pitch that he is a leader!

PVA

Completely agree NLHWC. Some people soon change their tune, the old 'hes off so he's crap' mentality.

Would love to compare this to previous threads where it looked like Clingan would be off and people were furious at sisu for selling our best player. . .

shmmeee

Completely agree NLHWC. Some people soon change their tune, the old 'hes off so he's crap' mentality.

Would love to compare this to previous threads where it looked like Clingan would be off and people were furious at sisu for selling our best player. . .

He's one of out best players. That's why someone wants to buy him, despite the fact he'd come for free in 6 months time.

Question is, does it make any sense to keep him if he's going to go anyway, and let's be honest this season hasn't exactly torn up any trees. Thomas has looked a suitable replacement for me.

smileycov

Facebook User
Prefer deegan in the team, however i really have had enough now!! they can do what the fuck they want.....just wish they would piss off and let us start again. Until they have gone we just real from one crisis to another.

Nonleagueherewecome

He's one of out best players. That's why someone wants to buy him, despite the fact he'd come for free in 6 months time.

Question is, does it make any sense to keep him if he's going to go anyway, and let's be honest this season hasn't exactly torn up any trees. Thomas has looked a suitable replacement for me.

I'll agree that against Bristol and Brighton he did a better job-his pace and energy added another dimension. But his passing isn't as good, he's dipped a bit since (inevitable as he's young), and obviously lacks Sammy's experience and know-how.

I'm just not in favour of cashing in, as it won't be reinvested, just go in SISU's pockets. I would have thought that was obvious; the Lukas money probably wasn't needed to cover costs, yet that isn't being reinvested! ASSET STRIPPERS. :mad:

shmmeee

I'll agree that against Bristol and Brighton he did a better job-his pace and energy added another dimension. But his passing isn't as good, he's dipped a bit since (inevitable as he's young), and obviously lacks Sammy's experience and know-how.

I'm just not in favour of cashing in, as it won't be reinvested, just go in SISU's pockets. I would have thought that was obvious; the Lukas money probably wasn't needed to cover costs, yet that isn't being reinvested! ASSET STRIPPERS. :mad:

Who says it wasn't needed to cover costs?

We are still losing money. That money has to come from somewhere and after this month we have no income streams available.

I'd imagine we'll see maybe £1m of the Lukas money after Everton are paid off and before any clauses kick in.

We will need even more money next season in L1, and will have no players to sell then. Better to sell up now for as much as possible and store the cash to pay the bills next year when out crown jewel is a 19 year old kid or Cody McDonald.

sky_blue_up_north

Sammy will go because he has constantly refused to sign a new contact. I think he is a class player in this league, but his form has been poor this season. His first season with us was outstanding, but he has never reached those heights again. I wonder if the injuries he has had have took there toll. Best let him go now and get something for him, rather than nothing in the summer, even if the money goes straight into the SISU coffers

akira1984

By the way, you're all talking like SiSu will be here next year? To be fair I doubt we will be! I'm getting sick of this Hoffman bid BS. Let's be honest, we were never a BIG club, don't get me wrong I love city, but we're fuged. So what if sammy goes! He has been pisspoor all season. The running costs are being covered by ticket revenue and sponsorship at the minute, that runs out soon, they're selling what they can. The next person who tells me that players need to be sold to keep the club afloat needs a slap!<br />
<br />
Prior to the end of last season we were losing a so-called 500k pm we lost 9 senior squad members, king, westy, mcinsloe, doyler, Gunnar, Turner were all top earners at the club I'd say from 7-10k per week, so roughly 40k+ per week gone, the other three lets say 8k total that's almost 200k gone per month from the wage bill.

Not mentioning the 750k for turner or the 800k (roughly) for Gunnar oh and the Dann sellon clause,

SISU are playing us for absolute idiots! This is an exit strategy they're going to shaft us and I'm beginning to doubt wether we will survive as Hoffman is taking his flipping time!

So I am all for protesting! I back what ever bid may be on the table to get these cancerous parasites out of this club, and so what I'd they "saved" us, they've taken us backwards simple! The quicker they sell whoever they can the quicker the league will notice what's happening and hopefully they'll do something about it.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Who says it wasn't needed to cover costs?

We are still losing money. That money has to come from somewhere and after this month we have no income streams available.

I'd imagine we'll see maybe £1m of the Lukas money after Everton are paid off and before any clauses kick in.

We will need even more money next season in L1, and will have no players to sell then. Better to sell up now for as much as possible and store the cash to pay the bills next year when out crown jewel is a 19 year old kid or Cody McDonald.

Well in that case the reduction in costs that mean we nearly break even now must have been a SISU lie!

And the point is if we are really relying on selling anyone of any value to survive, who do we sell when there's no one of value left?! We are Plymouth in waiting.

And Cody may be gone by then anyway...

Nonleagueherewecome

By the way, you're all talking like SiSu will be here next year? To be fair I doubt we will be! I'm getting sick of this Hoffman bid BS. Let's be honest, we were never a BIG club, don't get me wrong I love city, but we're fuged. So what if sammy goes! He has been pisspoor all season. The running costs are being covered by ticket revenue and sponsorship at the minute, that runs out soon, they're selling what they can. The next person who tells me that players need to be sold to keep the club afloat needs a slap!<br />
<br />
Prior to the end of last season we were losing a so-called 500k pm we lost 9 senior squad members, king, westy, mcinsloe, doyler, Gunnar, Turner were all top earners at the club I'd say from 7-10k per week, so roughly 40k+ per week gone, the other three lets say 8k total that's almost 200k gone per month from the wage bill.

Not mentioning the 750k for turner or the 800k (roughly) for Gunnar oh and the Dann sellon clause,

SISU are playing us for absolute idiots! This is an exit strategy they're going to shaft us and I'm beginning to doubt wether we will survive as Hoffman is taking his flipping time!

So I am all for protesting! I back what ever bid may be on the table to get these cancerous parasites out of this club, and so what I'd they "saved" us, they've taken us backwards simple! The quicker they sell whoever they can the quicker the league will notice what's happening and hopefully they'll do something about it.

I don't agree with all you say, but a lot of it; we've certainly flogged enough assets to cover this seasons costs, and in no way is AT being allowed to "wheel and deal". Everyone seems to have forgotten the Turner/Aron/Dann/Sturridge money!

After two cracking wins over Xmas, the owners have killed any chance we had of staying up with the sale of Lukas. And the idea of SISU being long-term owners beyond next season will see us have the lowest wage and transfer budget in whatever division we are in, meaning triplicate relegation is not impossible.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If you are going back a couple of months to find a forwards pass you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

No but in all seriousness tbf he is our best midfielder still but I agree with the poster that says he drifts in an out of games, he has done this throughout his Coventry career I have noticed it since his first 10 games or so, difference is back then if he drifted out of games we had Gunnarsson etc. who could take the mantle off him for a bit so it wouldn't be noticed. This season he has been trying to drag a whole midfield by himself and his performances have suffered for it. Don't want him to go but considering he has 6 months and Thomas played brilliantly in that role when called upon lets just say Clingan will not be missed as much as Juke if he is to leave. For me Juke and Keogh were the must keep players for January any others would be a blow but I believe we could have coped without them.

Yep. Other than Keogh, Clingan is our best player. He'll be off. And he'd fit nicely into a better team than ours. We're dragging him down IMO.

I also agree about his workrate. The West Ham game stood out the most for me. He really led by example and ran the length of the pitch even in stoppage time.

singers_pore

If he stays we are still going to be relegated and he will still leave in the Summer.

If he goes, it just means SISU get a few more pennies before they leave.

Meeeh, I can't see it makes much difference either way.

ashbyjan

Clingan and Cranie will be off but I would venture that they will do a Westwood and hold out until the end of the season. That way they have their choice of club rather than the one City want to sell them to and they get a nice signing on fee rather than City getting a transfer fee. From the clubs point of view it would be better to get rid now and recoup some money but can only do that if a: someone wants to fork out for a player who will be available without a transfer fee in a few months and b: if the player wants to go. All the cards are in the players hands and I think we will have the pair until the end of the season, whether we want them or not.

Users who are viewing this thread