Sam mccallum (1 Viewer)

wingy

Certainly delays any performance related aspects of the transfer deal.
Assuming stage payments based on Norwich appearances ?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not at the level yet maybe this is a long season games coming thick and fast players will pick up knocks if we want to stay up we will need to rotate players at the right times with adequate replacements...

Hence the McCallum loan

Not saying he is anywhere near ready. Just pointing out that they wanted us to bring in someone from lower down to develop. We have. Until McCallum came in Mason was the back up with Newton being trained in U23's.

ccfcway

Bizarre to me how anyone can be anything other than happy about this. Today our squad has been strengthened.

With the money we got from him, it’s enabled us to strengthen for this season and yet he was here at the end of last season and the start of this.

If he went elsewhere, this place would have gone in meltdown around “why didn’t we get first refusal”.

Also have to remember Sam kept Giles out of the team last year so when Giles has his inevitable bad game, we have very adequate cover.

I’d say dacosta was a bigger gamble than this.

The wing backs were a position of strength last season and continue to be this season.

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

Why's it strange.

He's not going to develop there whilst not being in first team squad.

He will get plenty of chamlionship game time with us. Obviously he's unlikely to be unavailable to play against Norwich.

His long throw is definately an asset. As well as his height.

I'm happy with this. Agree Mason must be moving on.
If he's not good enough to play for a team pushing for promotion from the championship, what do they do with him if they get promoted, they are then in the premier league with a player 18 months into a 3 yr deal who won't have played a competitive match for them, who only has experience at the level below, that's why i think it's strange. I'm happy he's here as Robins obviously sees him as an upgrade and that's good enough for me.

ceetee

It's nothing to with how much better they both are than Mason.
The issue is they are both season long loans and lending clubs usually expect them to play.

Gibbo

Be interesting to see who we start at left back then
If Robins is true to form, MacCullum will be on the bench. He has been very consistent in team selections and the way he treats players. Everybody knows the score that way. You earn your place. Only Kelly (and previously Doyle) have been treated in any way differently imho. This rule does not apply to goalies.

ccfcway

It's nothing to with how much better they both are than Mason.
The issue is they are both season long loans and lending clubs usually expect them to play.

Didn’t we have both on loan last season ?. Clearly both parent clubs are happy else they wouldn’t have made the same mistake twice ?

ccfcway

They weren't on loan for the whole season

So, you think robins has assured wolves that Giles will play certain amount of games at left back this season in championship despite he didn’t play in league one and robins has now assured Norwich mcallum will play a certain amount of games at left back despite Giles starting well ?.

with injuries, a long season and the fact that Giles can play in midfield, I have no doubt both have their part to playthis season for us

ms639

Great signing. Giles has been poor defensively, albeit decent going forwards.
Some strength in depth having 2 wing backs and Mccalum stronger defensively for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ceetee

So, you think robins has assured wolves that Giles will play certain amount of games at left back this season in championship despite he didn’t play in league one and robins has now assured Norwich mcallum will play a certain amount of games at left back despite Giles starting well ?.

with injuries, a long season and the fact that Giles can play in midfield, I have no doubt both have their part to playthis season for us
I haven't thought or said anywhere that Robbins has given assurances.
I just doubt that a lending club has no influence or opinion on the development of their players

I am sure they will both play some games and will be better than Mason.

Offhegoes

I’m alright with this, and surely Mason must be being sold or loaned out. For me, Mason was a more than adequate back up for Giles. However surprised Norwich loaned him to us as he won’t be a guaranteed starter surely? Maybe Sam is not settling there and wanted back?

covcity4life

He was the weakest defender in the back 5 last season and so I hope he doesn't just come in for Giles based on loan contract requirements. Giles has started very well.

It will be either Giles or McCallum and I don't see either of them playing in any other position.

Good to have a second LB, but just feels very strange.
No he wasn't. Nonsense like your Jacob Murphy opinions.

Our entire back 5 was solid as fuck especially down the stretch. Pivotal to promotion

And every year we hear about loan contract requirements but I don't know if there has ever been one?

This place wank over recruitment team but then questions everything loool

CanuckSkyBlue

Maybe he’s not fitting in over at Norwich, I rated McCallum but he needs to win his place back. Wouldn’t be surprised if we buy him back in the future.

Greggs

We only want 1!!!! Bad enough hsving a bsckup goalkeeper

Worlds gone mad!
It's disgusting that's we've strengthened our squad with one of last season's stand out players. Footballers are only ever allowed to play in one position though, training and coaching is just really shuttle runs and loads of 6 a side matches! Hahaha

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Giles is a LW turned LWB, not LB turned LWB. It’s not like Stokes and Haynes who were both LBs and neither had any really good attacking qualities.

Granted, I’m sure some of our posters ‘in the know’ reckoned Wolves loaned him to us because we play with WBs.

Giles probably good fit in somewhere higher up the pitch if we needed pace there.

Ah Stokes of course!!

I'm not ruling it out as I think Friday showed Giles attacking ability. I just can't see us having both him and Sam in the starting line up together the way we seemingly want to play

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Hmmmmm wasn’t there a young lad called Gareth Bale who started at Southampton as a LWB? Whatever happened to him?

I wouldn't rule it out, as young players can adopt new positions much better than older ones.

As as much as the comparison is pretty incomparable in my opinion, I get your point

On a side note, what a signed by Spurs! Quality player back in the English league can only be a good thing!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

No he wasn't. Nonsense like your Jacob Murphy opinions.

Our entire back 5 was solid as fuck especially down the stretch. Pivotal to promotion

And every year we hear about loan contract requirements but I don't know if there has ever been one?

This place wank over recruitment team but then questions everything loool

Nothing to do with Jacob Murphy you retard.

He was the weakest in the back five last season. Certainly in the latter part. There were numerous calls for him to be dropped.

I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but he kept his place after many bad games. After that performance from Giles, are you really telling me you would pick McCallum in his place?

ccfcway

I haven't thought or said anywhere that Robbins has given assurances.
I just doubt that a lending club has no influence or opinion on the development of their players

I am sure they will both play some games and will be better than Mason.

fab, no concern on your issue then ?

covcity4life

Nothing to do with Jacob Murphy you retard.

He was the weakest in the back five last season. Certainly in the latter part. There were numerous calls for him to be dropped.

I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but he kept his place after many bad games. After that performance from Giles, are you really telling me you would pick McCallum in his place?
He didn't havw bad games. We only had idiots on here who didn't see he was playong brilliantly. Considering robins didnt change it up and we won league easily I would say those posters intelligence was proven to be what it is

And once again i keep hearing this but who is saying Giles loses his spot? It increases squad depth and keeps them both on their toes. There is no negative

jordan210

I saw a PNE fan asking what Mason is like. So I guess that starts the rumours of where if he does leave he might go

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Didn't see that one coming, Boooooooom .

giphy.gif

Mucca Mad Boys

Ah Stokes of course!!

I'm not ruling it out as I think Friday showed Giles attacking ability. I just can't see us having both him and Sam in the starting line up together the way we seemingly want to play

Admittedly, we're all trying to second guess MR's thinking. My view is that MR probably wants the flexibility to go 3-4-3 if need be, especially with Jobello to eventually come back in. The 3-4-2-1 we play is very flexible anyway, Allen and O'Hare regularly pop up in wide channels, so it's not a massive change.

Also, it's worth considering that we may at some point want to switch to a back 4 for certain games. This is unlikely, but as MR has said, you never stop looking to improve the team. It's a long season so the more options we have, the more flexible we can be when injuries and suspensions kick in.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Bizarre to me how anyone can be anything other than happy about this. Today our squad has been strengthened.

With the money we got from him, it’s enabled us to strengthen for this season and yet he was here at the end of last season and the start of this.

If he went elsewhere, this place would have gone in meltdown around “why didn’t we get first refusal”.

Also have to remember Sam kept Giles out of the team last year so when Giles has his inevitable bad game, we have very adequate cover.

I’d say dacosta was a bigger gamble than this.

The wing backs were a position of strength last season and continue to be this season.

I agree with all of that. They're both decent WB with different strengths (Giles attacking, McCallum defending) which gives us the option to alternate depending on the strength of the opposition.

I'm just not overly happy that a position integral to our formation is likely to be covered entirely by loanees.

mrtrench

All this debate about converting wingback into central midfielders has gone on long enough. Can we compromise by playing a 10 formation, with everyone playing in Central midfield?

Pros:
* can play all our new central midfielders.

* we would dominate the centre of the park in all games

Cons:

* may concede more goals without a defence

* may be more susceptible to attacks down the wing

* may score fewer goals without an attack.

Users who are viewing this thread