Sam mccallum (1 Viewer)

Legia Sky Blue

The Norwich perspective : McCallum back to Coventry

TL/DR version : They are both surprised he's been loaned out and leaving them short in that position and expect him to be a starter here.

I will be very surprised if he starts straight away. I will be expecting Giles to be still starting at LWB next Saturday.

Skyblue_LDN

Seems odd from Norwich’s point of view, Robins obviously feels he can add something or just doesn’t fancy Mason. If it’s to move Mason out however you’d hope that was to free up being able to sin another player, as Giles with Mason As backup seemed sufficient

cc84cov

Watching the QPR game on Sky the commentators made a point of highlighting how Giles was overpowered in a challenge which let his opponent in behind
They said he had to bulk up and learn more about the defensive side of the game
No doubt our management team saw the same thing
I seen that happen to Allen on a number of occasions also he’s very lightweight

Brighton Sky Blue

They play a very similar game to us so Mason would be a square peg in a round hole there as well.
I don’t think there’ll be any lack of interest in Mason and think he could do really well at a club
that use fullbacks in a more traditional way.

I was joking

SkyBlue_Adam

Delighted with this, we’ve signed a player who was pivotal to our promotion last season, who already knows our system inside out and a player who MR clearly trusts.

In turn, Norwich get to see him tested in the Championship, doing no harm at all to his development. Perhaps going back at the end of the season as a ready made replacement for their LB position.

Win-Win

letsallsingtogether

Yeah, it's terrible to add quality players
Well Norwich obviously thought he wasnt good enough for their team possibly 3rd or 4th choice, why else would you loan him out?

Edit, I suppose there is the fact that we do seem to bring out the best in some of our loans lately

covcity4life

Well Norwich obviously thought he wasnt good enough for their team possibly 3rd or 4th choice, why else would you loan him out?

Edit, I suppose there is the fact that we do seem to bring out the best in some of our loans lately
You saw him last season. Do you think he is a good player or not? Forget what Norwich think what do you say?

PVA

Robins has probably seen enough of Giles attacking qualities to possibly see him as a replacement for Jones, had a word with Wolves who have agreed to let Robins manage as he sees and brought in McCallum to fill the void that way Robins dont have to gamble on bringing a left sided attacking midfielder because he knows Giles and also knows McCallum too

I think this is exactly what has happened.

But careful mate someone will be along soon to tell you that natural winger Giles can't play in the position that natural wingers Jones/Bapaga/Hilssner play in!

stupot07

Its probably best to wait and see what happens. That said i'd be very surprised to see anyone other than Giles start at left wingback on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

I think this is exactly what has happened.

But careful mate someone will be along soon to tell you that natural winger Giles can't play in the position that natural wingers Jones/Bapaga/Hilssner play in!
I thought you were leaving it but if not can you answer my questions on the two points you made please?

Is Shipley a natural winger like you said?
When has Giles played ACM like you said he has?

Frostie

I also read those but they were all way earlier in the summer. Seasons started and still not got a club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, he'll be desperate then, I'll get my local non league club to give his agent a call & offer the standard £80 per week, should snap their hands off.
Cheers for the heads up 👍🏻

SBT

Been done to death but a few other thoughts:

- Bit of a luxury signing, but in pure business terms it's a pretty good deal on our part to sell McCallum for £2.5m and then keep him for 18 months anyway

- Who's going to be our LWB next season? I'm getting those bad Mowbray vibes.

- I love our current setup, but Robins has been known to switch systems mid-season, especially if injuries dictate things, and I bet that happens again this year

- I think there's now a non-zero chance that Hilssner never starts a game for us and we quietly try to send him back to Germany

- Is everyone forgetting that run and cross from Giles against Rotherham?

Greggs

We won’t have made any guarantees ronins isn’t that way players earn the shirt they keep the shirt we

Not sure how to answer a question that you answered for yourself ;)

Londonccfcfan

Yeah Giles will start vs Barnsley I think
Yeah...He will not sure how many games Sam has played.

Lol some of the comments about Giles are ridiculous.

Has he even scored a first team goal yet.? Some want him a front 3 ahead Allen. Yes Giles has a great cross and some pace. Great back up for Sam imo.

Sam's like signing a 3 million pound player. Fantastic business.

PVA

I thought you were leaving it but if not can you answer my questions on the two points you made please?

Is Shipley a natural winger like you said?
When has Giles played ACM like you said he has?

I didn't say I was leaving, I said I'm done arguing with you. But as you asked so nicely.

I didn't say Shipley is a natural winger. I said that's where he played most of his games.

I also didn't say Giles had played ACM. I said he had played attacking midfield.

If you're so against players playing in different positions you must have been horrified when Bale was moved from left back to left wing. Or when Rooney was moved from centre forward to centre midfield. Or when Adel Taraabt went from winger to defensive midfielder.

And if you're so insistent on players playing in their natural positions I assume you're aghast that natural winger Giles is playing at wing back?

lifeskyblue

Certainly makes the squad stronger but not necessarily the first 11. Interesting business by Robins; he has got most things right since he came back and with a lot of games and need for rotation I think it is probably a shrewd move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What is it about competition for places that City fans don’t like or understand ?

Liverpool have just signed Jota. It’s not because Klopp doesn’t rate his current forwards.

football is a squad game, not a best 11 game.

I like Godden, and I’m hopeful over Walker but would take a better striker tomorrow ... it’s how you progress in a very competitive division with 3 matches a week.

It's more that many feel Mason is an adequate backup (although is better as a LB), plus he's our player. What happens if in Jan Norwich and Wolves both recall the loanees either because they're playing really well and want them back or because they're not getting the expected game time? We've either got Mason who would be nowhere near match fit or no-one if Mason is allowed to leave.

Seems like an odd choice for Norwich to send him out somewhere in the same division but not guaranteed game time other than to get us to pay part of his wages. But then why would we being paying part of his wages to not play him either? And if he does play the same questioned is then asked of Giles.

Would be harsh on Giles to lose the place at the moment.

I'm not a fan of being overly reliant on loans to cover a position. Just seems a slightly odd use of funds for me.

skyblueelephant76

Yeah...He will not sure how many games Sam has played.

Lol some of the comments about Giles are ridiculous.

Has he even scored a first team goal yet.? Some want him a front 3 ahead Allen. Yes Giles has a great cross and some pace. Great back up for Sam imo.

Sam's like signing a 3 million pound player. Fantastic business.
Giles has scored one first team goal.

fernandopartridge

He did, once v Gillingham but literally as a stop gap & looked uncomfortable.

Suggesting we have one eye on him potentially covering RWB is like suggesting we sign Stephen Hughes as goalkeeper cover.
Agreed on that, hadn't read the suggestion that he'd play rwb

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He was the weakest defender in the back 5 last season and so I hope he doesn't just come in for Giles based on loan contract requirements. Giles has started very well.

It will be either Giles or McCallum and I don't see either of them playing in any other position.

Good to have a second LB, but just feels very strange.

cc84cov

Someone like Joe Newton maybe?
Not at the level yet maybe this is a long season games coming thick and fast players will pick up knocks if we want to stay up we will need to rotate players at the right times with adequate replacements...

Hence the McCallum loan

PVA

Shipley was a CM coming through the academy who could play on the left if needed. It wasn't his preferred position.

So whether he's playing left wing or number 10 he's not playing in his natural position.

Which is the point I have been making this whole time - players don't play in their natural positions all the time. It is perfectly normal. Some people can't seem to grasp that though.

Users who are viewing this thread