Sam mccallum (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

I would rather Giles play LWB than AM.

But, if we need some pace in the last 20 I'd rather bring on Giles than Bapaga or Shipley.

I wouldn't... It's fair enough though its your opinion

Kane

I think it is a clever move by Robins. McCallum is better defensively than Giles. Giles is better than McCallum in attacking, but McCallum is still good in attacks. If we are likely to play against a team, which we know are very good at attacking and keeping the ball and it is going to be tight, Robins might favour McCallum, to allow Dabo not to pinned back to overcompensate for Giles. Dabo is key to making things happen unexpectedly and provides the ball to O’Hare in areas with time to do damage, this is probably why Dabo got thrown straight back in. If it is a game where Robins feels we are going to dominate possession, he might prefer to start Giles. Giles deserves to hold to the shirt, but Dabo is the only man, who can’t be replaced because if gets injured, we lose a lot of tour confidence on the way we play and we will then struggle.

speedie87

Giles could easily play the Allen role, especially away from home when we are counter attacking. The role requires pace and energy as much as anything else and he has that in spades

Reactions: PVA

Londonccfcfan

Strange one from Norwich, have they already decided he's not for them. Why would you loan a player back to a rival. I hope we haven't had to guarantee game time for this.

Why's it strange.

He's not going to develop there whilst not being in first team squad.

He will get plenty of chamlionship game time with us. Obviously he's unlikely to be unavailable to play against Norwich.

His long throw is definately an asset. As well as his height.

I'm happy with this. Agree Mason must be moving on.

PVA

Shipley is a natural winger now?

Fucking hell this site has lost it, Dabo DCM, Shipley winger, Giles ACM. May as well be Godden in Goal, Robins RB and Fisher CF

If you think that Shipley as a winger or Giles as an AM (considering they have both played there) is comparable to Dabo at DM then it's you that has lost it.

LevelBest

Anybody that's played football knows that playing on the wing and playing centrally as an attacking midfielder isn't as simple as saying... I've got pace I can play there 🤷 Robins was obviously trying to convert Jones to the role as we don't play wingers and Jones couldn't play Wing back
Didn't quite say that he can do it just because he's quick. Also it's not as a rigid central attacking midfielder, it's fluid. O'Hare, Shipley, Allen and Westbrooke before all interchange so if they want more pace in the attacking third why not. Where do you think Hilssner will play as he came here after playing all last season on the wing? BTW I have played football to a pretty decent level :)

Skybluedownunder

Not convinced that this fella isn’t a secret Man United fan as the only players he ever seems to want us to sign are United youth players.

Cause I wanted James Garner and now I’ve mentioned Dion McGhee?... wow, two players!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PVA

Shipley was terrible as a winger and when has Giles ever played ACM?

I never said he was good there, but he literally played an entire season there in a promotion winning campaign.

To say that Shipley can play on the wing is comparable to saying Dabo can play DM is obscene.

Brylowes

I can’t see the problem, our game depends on wingbacks, we now have two very good yet very
different young LWBs, all this talk about guarantees of game time ‘there’s going to be plenty of
opportunity for both to shine and often in the same game I suspect.

In games where a more diligent defensive approach is required we have Sam, games we have
more freedom to get up the pitch more often we have Gilles, Robins will now have the ability to
alter the pace and strategy of some games with this one simple substitution ‘with both players
understanding exactly what’s required from them.

then there’s potential injuries, if Gilles was to succumb to a lengthy layoff Mason would require
us to completely change the way we set up, Sam would slot in seamlessly ‘and vice versa.
Also wouldn’t be surprised if Robins has got an eager eye on making at least one of these loans
permanent at the end of the season.
Trust in Robins PUSB

Liquid Gold

I never said he was good there, but he literally played an entire season there in a promotion winning campaign.

To say that Shipley can play on the wing is comparable to saying Dabo can play DM is obscene.
So your argument as to why we can play Giles out of position is that we did with Shipley and he wasn't very good?

Again, when has Giles ever played there?

Skybluedownunder

Linked with:
Benfica, Porto, AZ, Besiktas, West Ham but nah, one call from CCFC & he'll turn all them down I'm sure.

I also read those but they were all way earlier in the summer. Seasons started and still not got a club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

I can’t see the problem, our game depends on wingbacks, we now have two very good yet very
different young LWBs, all this talk about guarantees of game time ‘there’s going to be plenty of
opportunity for both to shine and often in the same game I suspect.

In games where a more diligent defensive approach is required we have Sam, games we have
more freedom to get up the pitch more often we have Gilles, Robins will now have the ability to
alter the pace and strategy of some games with this one simple substitution ‘with both players
understanding exactly what’s required from them.

then there’s potential injuries, if Gilles was to succumb to a lengthy layoff Mason would require
us to completely change the way we set up.
Also wouldn’t be surprised if Robins has got an eager eye on making at least one of these loans
permanent at the end of the season.
Trust in Robins PUSB

Mason will be sold, it’s pointless for his career sticking around as for two seasons now Robins has signed two left backs on loans

PVA

Norwich fans are saying he had a poor pre season and is nowhere near the level they need/want right now

(doesn't mean he's not good enough for us of course)

Evo1883

OK il accept that with limited options available Giles at attacking midfield could be a possibility... That's as far as I can stretch that thought... It's the same as me saying I'd play sheaf at CB, if we had no other option (he's played there)

Reactions: PVA

PVA

So your argument as to why we can play Giles out of position is that we did with Shipley and he wasn't very good?

I don't know if it's deliberate or not but you're completely missing the point and I can't be arsed anymore.

I've said my piece. Giles can play in that AM role in my opinion, you think he can't. That's fine.

But I'll be bumping this when he plays there 😉

chiefdave

Obviously not going to complain about having a quality player back but can only echo what others have said, seems an odd deal all round. As much as anything we know we have a small budget, is bringing in a player in a position we already have someone performing well in a priority? Of course we want the best cover possible but the budget has to be considered.

While I'm not a fan of guaranteeing loan signings playing time you can be sure those conversations have been had. Can't imagine Wolves or Norwich being happy if their player is sat on the bench. Sure we could try moving Giles forward but is that really needed, who are we suggesting dropping?

Not sure how we keep everyone happy but have to trust in Robins and Viveash.

better days

I haven't read this whole thread so this may have already been said but I know we drove a very hard bargain when Norwich came in for him last year
We turned down their initial offers but they kept coming back and increasing the bid and ancillaries
It's possible that this loan back was part of the arrangement - I don't have any inside info but Robins has said several times that he had one deal up his sleeve and one or two more possibilities
Hopefully one of the local reporters will ask him next time they get a chance

Brylowes

Giles was back up to Sam last season.

I don't think anything has changed apart from Sam having a pre season with better quality players.

Fully expect Sam to be first choice.
Gilles has shown already he offers something different, as I say I think both can and will play
a major role in our season.
Would you drop Gilles for Sam in the next game ?

Happy_Martian

The Norwich perspective : McCallum back to Coventry

TL/DR version : They are both surprised he's been loaned out and leaving them short in that position and expect him to be a starter here.

Liquid Gold

I haven't read this whole thread so this may have already been said but I know we drove a very hard bargain when Norwich came in for him last year
We turned down their initial offers but they kept coming back and increasing the bid and ancillaries
It's possible that this loan back was part of the arrangement - I don't have any inside info but Robins has said several times that he had one deal up his sleeve and one or two more possibilities
Hopefully One of the local reporters will ask him next time they get a chance
So you're suggesting that we may have put in the deal that if we were to be promoted and McCallum was going to be loaned out we could have first option and pay very little for him?

If that's the case then it makes a lot more sense.

better days

So you're suggesting that we may have put in the deal that if we were to be promoted and McCallum was going to be loaned out we could have first option and pay very little for him?

If that's the case then it makes a lot more sense.
It's only a guess based on how hard we bargained last year when we agreed the deal
As someone said I only think these things up while in the pub ;)

AFCCOVENTRY

Norwich fans said he was poor against Luton and they have a possibly of 3 players to play LWB in place of the new Spanish guy they’ve got.

stevefloyd

Robins has probably seen enough of Giles attacking qualities to possibly see him as a replacement for Jones, had a word with Wolves who have agreed to let Robins manage as he sees and brought in McCallum to fill the void that way Robins dont have to gamble on bringing a left sided attacking midfielder because he knows Giles and also knows McCallum too

Brylowes

Mason to Norwich
They play a very similar game to us so Mason would be a square peg in a round hole there as well.
I don’t think there’ll be any lack of interest in Mason and think he could do really well at a club
that use fullbacks in a more traditional way.

AFCCOVENTRY

Giles playing to the left of Godden in that front 1/3 would be absolutely deadly.

Marosi
Leo Kyle Dom
Dabo Hamer Kelly McCallum
O’Hare GOD Giles

better days

Robins has probably seen enough of Giles attacking qualities to possibly see him as a replacement for Jones, had a word with Wolves who have agreed to let Robins manage as he sees and brought in McCallum to fill the void that way Robins dont have to gamble on bringing a left sided attacking midfielder because he knows Giles and also knows McCallum too
Watching the QPR game on Sky the commentators made a point of highlighting how Giles was overpowered in a challenge which let his opponent in behind
They said he had to bulk up and learn more about the defensive side of the game
No doubt our management team saw the same thing

Users who are viewing this thread