Sam McCallum (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCRJ

I agree with the jist of your post but to say he has been off the boil for months is simply not so. Lets look at the facts rather than the supposition.
A premier league side has spent money based on his performances and potential in the past few months
Robins has picked him consistently over the past few months in a winning team, he chose him last night in a crucial game.
He has scored goals so is a threat more so than any defender and most of the midfielders.

I'm sorry but this post doesn't make sense at all. Have you even been to any games and watched him yourself because I'll be honest it doesn't sound like you have? You called my view 'supposition' but unless you provide stats to back up your point you can't say my views are incorrect - as what you've stated aren't facts that actually show he's played well over the past couple of months. If you're going down that route provide me with facts and figures to change my mind.

With regards to Robins consistently picking him. You could argue that whilst McCallum is as good as he is, if it wasn't for Mason being so out of favour recently, he would've been dropped a while ago. Look at the previous few player rating threads - I can put my house on the fact he hasn't received a rating higher than six more than once in the previous 4/5 games. Similarly, what's Robins' logic for bringing Giles in if not to give McCallum a rest at some point.

Scored more goals than most of the midfield? Firstly, goals aren't everything in football and secondly, he's hardly been prolific. Westbrooke, Shipley, Walsh have scored more than him, O'Hare has the same amount of goals, Hyam and Rose have 1 less goal than him. So, I'm not sure where you picked that imaginary fact from? Equally, are you saying because he's scored more goals than the likes of Kelly, that means he's had more of an impact than him so far this season?

Last edited:

rob9872

Absolute bollocks. Sam has a small dip as all young players do and even then he's not been half as bad as some make out. I'm a big fan of Brandon and he hadn't played for awhile before the Blues game, but it was noticeable straight away for me that Sam was missing. His energy, pace and attacking threat. People know how good he is and possibly being marked a bit tighter or stronger, but he'll learn to adapt and it should leave other space elsewhere. The boy is very talented and we're lucky to still have him in any capacity, as he'll get even better before the end of the season imo.

Ring Of Steel

I'm sorry but this post doesn't make sense at all. Have you even been to any games and watched him yourself because I'll be honest it doesn't sound like you have? You called my view 'supposition' but unless you provide stats to back up your point you can't say my views are incorrect - as what you've stated aren't facts that actually show he's played well over the past couple of months. If you're going down that route provide me with facts and figures to change my mind.

With regards to Robins consistently picking him. You could argue that whilst McCallum is as good as he is, if it wasn't for Mason being so out of favour recently, he would've been dropped a while ago. Look at the previous few player rating threads - I can put my house on the fact he hasn't received a rating higher than six more than once in the previous 4/5 games. Similarly, what's Robins' logic for bringing Giles in if not to give McCallum a rest at some point.

Scored more goals than most of the midfield? Firstly, goals aren't everything in football and secondly, he's hardly been prolific. Westbrooke, Shipley, Walsh have scored more than him, O'Hare has the same amount of goals, Hyam and Rose have 1 less goal than him. So, I'm not sure where you picked that imaginary fact from? Equally, are you saying because he's scored more goals than the likes of Kelly, that means he's had more of an impact than him so far this season?

"Goals aren't everything in football"

Are you Russell Slade?

NortonSkyBlue

You contradict yourself, he's been poor yet the manager picks him, you create imaginary scenarios around to justify your view.
I live in Riyadh so I haven't seen many live. 4 this Season so far and Mason played in two of them. That said I have ifollow and have to agree he is not performing at the level he was, however I trust Robins to be the judge.
Yes you say goals scored aren't everything. I beg to differ. That said I believe we have the second best defensive record do as part of that unit so his contribution is at both ends of the pitch.
Finally in extolling the performance of a young player I must say that even when he is off the pace he never hiding and always shows for the ball.

Last edited:

Grendel

Mason I expect will be gone in the summer

JulianDarbyFTW

McCallum has continued to play a part in a team with only 3 defeats, who've kept a few clean sheets of late, and are on a good run of form. Why are we talking about dropping him?

SkyBlueCRJ

You contradict yourself, he's been poor yet the manager picks him, you create imaginary scenarios around to justify your view.
I live in Riyadh so I haven't seen many live. 4 this Season so far and Mason played in two of them. That said I have ifollow and have to agree he is not performing at the level he was, however I trust Robins to be the judge.
Yes you say goals scored aren't everything. I beg to differ. That said I believe we have the second best defensive record do as part of that unit so his contribution is at both ends of the pitch.
Finally in extolling the performance of a young player I must say that even when he is off the pace he never hiding and always shows for the ball.

I'm not contradicting myself at all, you're just misreading my post. The fact Mason is out of favour/out of form clearly makes Robins' decision to choose McCallum week in, week out far easier. That isn't an imaginary scenario, that's fact. If anything that's a compliment to McCallum though as Robins believes an out of form McCallum is clearly better than Mason is currently. Regardless it still makes him difficult to drop. That may change now Giles has come in though.

Okay that's fair but look at the previous 'player ratings' threads then rather than make assumptions - as I stated if you want a measure of his form you will probably find that McCallum on average hasn't received a rating higher than 6 more than once in the last 4/5 games. That doesn't make him a bad player because he isn't, he has bags of quality and that has been rewarded by both Robins and his move to Norwich. However, like a number of posters on those threads I think his form has taken a dip.

Ring Of Steel

I'm not contradicting myself at all, you're just misreading my post. The fact Mason is out of favour/out of form clearly makes Robins' decision to choose McCallum week in, week out far easier. That isn't an imaginary scenario, that's fact. If anything that's a compliment to McCallum though as Robins believes an out of form McCallum is clearly better than Mason is currently. Regardless it still makes him difficult to drop. That may change now Giles has come in though.

Okay that's fair but look at the previous 'player ratings' threads then rather than make assumptions - as I stated if you want a measure of his form you will probably find that McCallum on average hasn't received a rating higher than 6 more than once in the last 4/5 games. That doesn't make him a bad player because he isn't, he has bags of quality and that has been rewarded by both Robins and his move to Norwich. However, like a number of posters on those threads I think his form has taken a dip.

Rating from who? The people on here?

Grendel

Ratings are subjective and riddled with bias

Ring Of Steel

If we're going from this forum then McFazdean also needs binning off & the reason we're at St Andrews is that they had a nice pitch.

SkyBlueCRJ

Ratings are subjective and riddled with bias

They are but you can combine them into an average to ascertain a rough indication of how the player in question is performing. There are inevitably going to be one or two anomalies as like you said biases will come into play but I still think you can gain a relatively accurate assessment of how players are performing from them.

shmmeee

Mason is better than Sam defensively for sure.

He's not a great wing back though... And that's why he isn't playing.

I rate him, and really feel for him tbh

Yeah I think Mason is great in a back four, haven’t been impressed when he’s played WB though.

Grendel

They are but you can combine them into an average to ascertain a rough indication of how the player in question is performing. There are inevitably going to be one or two anomalies but I still think you can get a relatively accurate assessment of how players are performing from them.

Mcallum ratings will subliminally go down to some as he’s now perceived as a premier league player by some who will scrutinise more

Conversely some players will perform adequately and as it’s above expectation they get higher

If the guy who say next to me last night rated he’d have given O Hare a 4 or 5 as he didn’t like him primarily as he’s a Villa player I suspect

fernandopartridge

Whilst I said last night he played within himself on the ball he was solid all hands, it's a testament to the standards he's set really that people are saying he was poor.

Grendel

Great_Expectations

Whilst I said last night he played within himself on the ball he was solid all hands, it's a testament to the standards he's set really that people are saying he was poor.

Have to disagree unfortunately, he wasn’t just within himself, I thought he was poor on the ball. I agree he was solid defensively though.

And that isn’t because I’m now viewing him through a different lense now he’s signed for Norwich (I’m not suggesting you’d say that, but I’ve seen it posted elsewhere).

Grendel

Have to disagree unfortunately, he wasn’t just within himself, I thought he was poor on the ball. I agree he was solid defensively though.

And that isn’t because I’m now viewing him through a different lense now he’s signed for Norwich (I’m not suggesting you’d say that, but I’ve seen it posted elsewhere).

Disagree thought he was fine. They closed the backs down effectively but he still covered the ground and didn’t misplace many passes

The Norwich factor is sub conscious so you probably are guilty of it but unaware

SkyBlueCRJ

Mcallum ratings will subliminally go down to some as he’s now perceived as a premier league player by some who will scrutinise more

Conversely some players will perform adequately and as it’s above expectation they get higher

If the guy who say next to me last night rated he’d have given O Hare a 4 or 5 as he didn’t like him primarily as he’s a Villa player I suspect

Potentially, but during the games in Jan/Dec when fans had no knowledge of definite Premier League interest his ratings were still consistently average. It's an interesting point about biases though as you could flip that on its head and argue that during that period some ratings were potentially given generously due to McCallum's age and inexperience.

Users who are viewing this thread