salary cap proposed (1 Viewer)

tisza

Salary cap: EFL proposes League One and League Two cap on wages

2.5m seems on the low side.
Lot of teams way past that and would struggle to reduce it in time for next season - Fleetwood, Pompey, Posh, Sunderland, Ipswich amongst those apparently 7m plus for this season.
Also gives relegated clubs from Championship a big advantage.
Hopefully not our problem next season anyway :)

win9nut

I don't agree with a salary cap as an arbitrary figure imposed by the league.

I do agree with the concept of FFP, however I think that it should be as a percentage of Gross Profit rather than turnover, and a much lower percentage at that!

This ensures that better supported clubs have a better chance at promotion and ensures less well supported clubs are more sustainable and if necessary be more creative in finding ways to generate profits (improving academies, events at owned stadiums, more community driven fund raising events, driving more attendance

Legia Sky Blue

Unworkable idea and will just encourage bigger clubs to bend the rules. Clubs need to take individual responsibility, and to work within their individual means. The likes of Sunderland and Portmouth will clearly operate different wage structures to Accrington and Rochdale, trying to pretend otherwise is ridiculous.

chiefdave

Would love to see salary caps and restrictions on squad size brought in.

Squad size restriction really needs to start at the top to prevent the top clubs hoarding players.

tisza

I just don't see how you'd do it without also having a cap on the Championship too.
Championship apparently looking at a 15-20m cap. Again gives a big advantage to relegated Prem clubs with parachute payments as they'd get a year's "grace".
But also the financial jump from League 1 to Championship almost would become as big as Champ to PL.(in wage budget terms)
Also when you get your MacCallum's , Baylisses etc would mean profit on sale no longer going towards playing budget (transfers in & salaries) but to owners.

CCFC88

They've been talking about this for months now and it seems like the majority of clubs are behind it.

Expect it would be implemented over a number of seasons allowing current contracts to run down

fernandopartridge

Yet more fiddling around the edges whilst allowing all sorts at the top of the shop. Pointless.

If you think about the bigger picture though, it says a lot for the likelihood of the PL and / or Championship moving to breakaway from the rest of the FL entirely.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not a fan of arbitrary figures for all clubs in a league. Some have the financial means to spend more than that without financial problems, others would stretch themselves. It seems to punish fans who follow their team through thick and thin and teams who are performing well and thus likely to earn more from higher attendances/merch etc.

I'm a fan of FFP based on a teams income (though I think it is open to abuse) to protect the future of clubs. I'm also a fan of limit squad to between 33 and 40 to spread talent out and improve overall standard rather than big teams having an army of players out on loan.

As I've said before I'd love to see a self regulating system of a basic income based on 'fixed' income like TV deals and then bonuses at season end based on variable income like gate receipts, prize money etc and split up on game time. Players are rewarded as to the level of performance they've achieved and how much they've contributed towards it. Plus get promoted next season you could earn a lot more but get relegated and you'll get a lot less. No need for fire sale to get rid of players on high wages as their wages will automatically reduce to reflect lose of income.

Also worth thinking that the L2 threshold is £30k pw, L1 £50k pw. For an entire squad. This wouldn't even cover half of someone like Hudson-Odoi;s wages, who isn't even a regular.

Evo1883

Salary caps will only work if they are right the way through the pyramid, otherwise the gap between the premier league and the rest will widen even further

Winny the Bish

I'm all for it, but only if the Championship is included as well. But for that to happen, parachute payments would need to be scrapped and the Premier League would need to give a greater piece of the pie to all leagues. It goes to the top, and the PL care more about money than anything, so that seems unlikely.

robbiethemole

So the entire season of League 1 is in doubt, but the outcome of the meeting to sort it is a decision for a salary cap? I'm sure that will be most reassuring to the teams struggling to survive the next couple of months.
Why can't the EFL just get on with it, and tell the dissenters take it or leave it. I see the Sunderland CEO has said they will play on despite the costs and other teams who can't afford it can go to the wall. Arrogant bunch of cocks.

Users who are viewing this thread