Sakamoto Chant (1 Viewer)

BlueSkiesForever

Maybe it’s just me but I think the current Sakamoto chant isn’t punchy enough considering how good he’s been for us. Not that there’s some “player quality vs chant quality” chart that we need to consort but I definitely think we need to come up with a better chant for him than the current one.

All I ever hear at the games when he scores is:
“Every time you’re on the ball, do do do duh do… superstar from Tokyo… do do duh uh eh eh meh…”
It just sort of becomes a noise rather than a powerful chant, the Haji Wright one is solid because it’s just his name chanted in a strong manner. I’m not a songwriter or critic but I just think Saka deserves a better chant than the one he’s currently got.

He’s got a 4 syllable name that’s short and snappy, surely it can’t be too hard to put it to a decent chant?

clint van damme

Maybe it’s just me but I think the current Sakamoto chant isn’t punchy enough considering how good he’s been for us. Not that there’s some “player quality vs chant quality” chart that we need to consort but I definitely think we need to come up with a better chant for him than the current one.

All I ever hear at the games when he scores is:
“Every time you’re on the ball, do do do duh do… superstar from Tokyo… do do duh uh eh eh meh…”
It just sort of becomes a noise rather than a powerful chant, the Haji Wright one is solid because it’s just his name chanted in a strong manner. I’m not a songwriter or critic but I just think Saka deserves a better chant than the one he’s currently got.

He’s got a 4 syllable name that’s short and snappy, surely it can’t be too hard to put it to a decent chant?

We won't 'come up' with anything.
Like all our other chants we 'borrowed' that one so we need to borrow something more appropriate!

Harry Krishner

I was pondering this very topic during the game yesterday having heard the highly impressive "DaSilva" chant- another punchy and very easy one.

This one crossed my mind - to the tune of the oft used Glory Glory Hallelujah:

Juu - nichi Saka - mootooo

Juu - nichi Saka - Motooo

Juhu - nichi Sakamotooo

Something original and punchy at the e e end!!

Greggs

It’s quality. Cannot understand how people can’t learn the lyrics. It’s six lines, two of which are the same bar one word.
people just do nothing GIF by KuruptFM

Greggs

That’s not fair. He doesn’t know any words
The morons think because its a 'Japanese song' that he'll love it. Imagine an English bloke moving to Japan and the fans trying to fit his name into the tune of Bob The Builder?

harvey098

I was pondering this very topic during the game yesterday having heard the highly impressive "DaSilva" chant- another punchy and very easy one.

This one crossed my mind - to the tune of the oft used Glory Glory Hallelujah:

Juu - nichi Saka - mootooo

Juu - nichi Saka - Motooo

Juhu - nichi Sakamotooo

Something original and punchy at the e e end!!
What does Juunichi mean?

BlueSkiesForever

exactly, it's really simple and far simpler than the vik song for example

people who can't learn the words need to look at themselves

I’m not complaining about the words per se, it’s more that the chant is long and meandering and some people stop halfway through, or fuck up the lyrics, or half the crowd fall out of sync with the other half etc etc.

It’s more the actual melody and length I have an issue with, for example “Ole Ole Ole Haji Wright Wright Wright” is literally impossible to get wrong and you can shout it at the top of your voice, just not the same with the Saka chant, it’s like a Shakespearean sonnet in comparison.

David O'Day

I’m not complaining about the words per se, it’s more that the chant is long and meandering and some people stop halfway through, or fuck up the lyrics, or half the crowd fall out of sync with the other half etc etc.

It’s more the actual melody and length I have an issue with, for example “Ole Ole Ole Haji Wright Wright Wright” is literally impossible to get wrong and you can shout it at the top of your voice, just not the same with the Saka chant, it’s like a Shakespearean sonnet in comparison.
Practice then ;) Sometimes brilliance is the lowest common denominator.

BlueSkiesForever

Practice then ;) Sometimes brilliance is the lowest common denominator.

It’s not a case of not being able to chant it, it’s a case of the chant not being snappy enough. It’s a catchy little tune but sometimes good songs don’t translate into good chants around a football ground, and vice versa. Look at Sweet Caroline, pretty average song outside of football, no one goes around listening to it or singing it but inside a football stadium it’s an anthem because it’s got that strong “do-do-do” bit in the chorus.

Just my personal opinion the current Saka chant is too meandering and sounds like drony white noise inside a football stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread