Safe standing proposals (1 Viewer)

ps1948

The Football Supporters Federation is supporting an Early Day Motion from an MP in respect of introducing safe standing at English football grounds, using a sytem that is widely used in German grounds. Having spent £23 for a seat at Orient yesterday and then spent all of the game standing up to watch the match, I am firmly in favour of this proposal - I have reached the age where I would prefer to use the seat to sit on, rather than lean against!

I would urge all those who think that the reintroduction of safe terracing is a good idea to visit the fsf website - www.fsf.org.uk and read up the information, then send a letter to your MP. The campaign is gathering momentum, and the more people who write, the more chance there is of this being given a chance.

Gray

Would never happen at the ricoh as it is used for many things other than football

Baginton

Peterborough and Villa want to do trials

WE ARE PAYING CUSTOMERS
the taylor report has been found to be full of bullshit,

Sign the petition, e-mail your MP

Fan power can make a differance, look at how it works in Germany!

Last edited:

ps1948

If you check the link, you'll see that it could work out at the Ricoh, as they put in rows of rails with seats incorporated that are available at the turn of a key.......and having been to a German Bundesliga match I can vouch for the atmosphere created by these terraces - Borussia Dortmund for example

wingy

If you check the link, you'll see that it could work out at the Ricoh, as they put in rows of rails with seats incorporated that are available at the turn of a key.......and having been to a German Bundesliga match I can vouch for the atmosphere created by these terraces - Borussia Dortmund for example
Did'nt they have a riot of around 200 fans acouple of weekends ago,Not that I'm implying terracing equates to violence.:whistle:;)

Block19

Yes, let's have standing, while we are at it lets remove the roof, make the toilets tiny, small food kiosk. It would like being on the Kop again..

Yes, let's have standing, while we are at it lets remove the roof, make the toilets tiny, small food kiosk. It would like being on the Kop again..

It's important to realise that the form of safe standing being proposed is nothing like the terraces of the 1980s, as this video explains:

[video]http://youtu.be/apX5V1IJCW4[/video]

As you see there, the rail seats in Hannover are installed in a modern 'arena' and, while used for standing for domestic football games, such areas can be easily switched to seated mode for European matches or other events staged at the venue, for which seats are required. The multi-purpose nature of the Ricoh need not, therefore, rule out the installation of such seats.

If you think fans ought to have the choice to sit or stand at football, please use this quick and easy tool to e-mail your MP and ask him/her to support EDM 573, which calls on the government in first instance to permit a few trials of safe standing areas.

sky_blue_up_north

Have not sat at a game for years now. Can anyone say they actually sit at an away ground, can't remember the last time I was forced to sit. This is a non event in my opinion. Leave the seat in of course, I do think they add to the safty factor, more so if the game is a sell out.

pusbccfc

If you put the proper 'safe standing' they have options of seats and being able to stand.
In other words a pull out chair.

Each fan gets a place with a number to stop over crowding.

Sutty

Did'nt they have a riot of around 200 fans acouple of weekends ago,Not that I'm implying terracing equates to violence.:whistle:;)

They did. After the game against Schalke though, the biggest rivalry in German football.

It's not something that happens often, and the atmosphere certainly seems improved. Still, a half-full terrace is probably just as shit as a half-full seated area, it's only when you fill it up that you get the full experience.

Jackoskyblue

Why don't you .. Erm ... Just stand up ? Easier than installing all that stuff for something which you can do anyway, go in singers corner they always stand

Mucca Mad Boys

Works I Germany, can easily work anywhere else, all policing, not fans, always held that view and now with the Taylor report found to be BS let's moron with!

Terraced seating is the way forward, cheaper tickets, better atmosphere!

Although I'd leave the RICOH the way it is (even if we ever own 100%) because I think 32k is abut our max

Covstu

Just thinking about this at the ricoh, we all have about three seats each at the moment anyway so no risk of any crushing which is the major concern!!!

torchomatic

I loved standing in the 70s and 80s, but wouldn't want to stand with my six-year-old. I remember the surges that happened at every corner or goal scoring opportunity.

skyblueinBaku

As I have a dodgy hip, I prefer to sit and watch a match. Standing for long periods is not an option for me. I was getting severe gip at Yeovil.

Tank Top

I too, have long past the desire to stand at football Matches,
Indifferent health and too many Birthdays have forced me to
sit down or stay away, this having spent many,Many pleasure
filled hours standing on the Kop at Highfield road, so I fully understand the desire to stand at matches.
but the law was introduced for all seater stadiums at top levels after a couple of debacles regarding crowd trouble in which many fans lost their lives.
AS a result of all seater Stadium, I think it would be accurate to say that crowd trouble has all but vanished inside our football grounds, so maybe it is time to allow sections of the grounds to be made availiable fo fans to stand and watch if they so desire.
it would also give the fans who wish to sit, to get an unobstructed view of the game, which should be their right.
All seater stadium became the law at the higher level and clubs had to conform, but who is responsible for getting fans to sit down, how does the law stand on that one, any ideas fellas.
Tankie

Joy Division

I loved standing in the 70s and 80s, but wouldn't want to stand with my six-year-old. I remember the surges that happened at every corner or goal scoring opportunity.

Again, if you read the posts describing what 'safe standing' is then these surges cannot happen with this new design.

It's all about choice. Certain sections of the stadium could become a standing area so if people prefer to sit then fine, sit in the seated area.

Covstu

generally if you sit by the scorebaord end you can stand anyway. Personally if this works why not stipulate that certain blocks are entitled to stand up (even though there are seats there). If you dont want to stand you dont sit in the block or else you risk a restricted view.

Users who are viewing this thread