Sad state of affairs (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

...coaching 6 years old and to be approached about 2 of my lads by Leics and now WBA. As I said to the Leics scout, its great to see the kids getting attention, but sad for me personally that its not Sky Blues.

Anyway, I said to them both regardless of who the kids and the parents choose, I want them to stay where they are for Sundays for the next year. So the future of English football is safe in my hands...for 12 months.

ccfcmustang

After going thrugh the whole academy system myself i think its wrong that academies go for players that young. At their age its about enjoying the game and drilling people so young i beleiev has a detrimental effect

stupot07

...coaching 6 years old and to be approached about 2 of my lads by Leics and now WBA. As I said to the Leics scout, its great to see the kids getting attention, but sad for me personally that its not Sky Blues.

Anyway, I said to them both regardless of who the kids and the parents choose, I want them to stay where they are for Sundays for the next year. So the future of English football is safe in my hands...for 12 months.

Is that because they have cat 1 academies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

shy_tall_knight

Leicester have a huge academy set up taking a large volume of players. I lost a lad to West Brom, Leicester and Blues were sniffing around but no sign of Cov

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
My own experience has been that the CCFC scouting of young players has been pretty poor over the years even when invited. Have seen players pulled in by Walsall whilst CCFC dithered.!!

There is far too much pressure placed on youngsters. I am all for them learning the skills and improving technique but the clubs seem to take that willingness to learn and improve but end up destroying youngsters confidence at an early age. Many are just cannon fodder for the benefit of very very few. Taking kids at 6 or 7 is just not right

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

I believe a lot of the pro-club academies work on a sort of "economies of scale" type philosophy......take on loads & loads of kids & they may just get lucky with one or two....

...meanwhile, they can fleece the parents of the little ones that are (and were) never gonna make it all day long....some clubs now expect a "buy-out" from the parents if little johnny wants to leave......disgraceful.

ccfcmustang

its not right really. kids of 7 and 8 can sometimes be with clubs right up until they are 16, pinning all of their hopes on becoming a professional footballer. At 16, which happened to me, your dropped and left to sort your life out. For a kid of 16 to hear that they cannot continue with something they have worked for for over 8 years already is really disheartening, especially when its oer something trivial like height. Wolves got rid of me at 16 for that exact reason, being a few inches too short. Ive heard of goalkeepers being released because of the sizes of their hands- its disgusting. Alex Gott who got released and the end of last season is a good friend of mine and he was devastated by the news. Luckily he found a scholarship in Florida so hasnt got to let go of his dream just yet.

In my opinion clubs should only be allowed to scout under 14's at the lowest. Clubs are more interested in the probability of finding the next big thing rather than the person itself. everyone £100 a week as an apprentice and they can literally let you go at any point.

Cov Kid, id tell the scouts where to go and not to come back for at least another 5 years. Let the lads enjoy their football and they will become better players for it

olderskyblue

Yeah, crazy really isn't it.

Treating people as a commodity really (not just us who do that, either!)

Taking kids at that age may at least get some of them away from the shouty & sweary dads on the line every Sunday (unless that still happens at Academy level?)

Never good seeing a young kid crying on the pitch due to his old man giving him grief, which of course always seems to develop into his old man getting threatened or worse after being told what a c-unit he is..... (never could hold my tongue when I saw that sort of crap happen)

Skyblueweeman

To the OP...your location is South Leics so isn't there just as much of a chance of a Leicestershire scout being there as a CCFC one? How do we know they weren't looking at other kids teams?

I think our Youth set up in the past 10-15 years has been one of the better ones around to be honest. We've produced some good players...Kirkland, Davenport, McSheffrey, Bigirimana, Wilson, Christie, Hall, Whing, Eustace etc. Not all world beaters but good, consistent players who contributed well to CCFC over the years.

percy

fair play to ya. if these lads are good enough they will get to where they want to. in the meantime however it is far more important for them to enjoy their football. i think that the higher up you go then the more the pressure is put on these youngsters to perform or get replaced.

duffer

its not right really. kids of 7 and 8 can sometimes be with clubs right up until they are 16, pinning all of their hopes on becoming a professional footballer. At 16, which happened to me, your dropped and left to sort your life out. For a kid of 16 to hear that they cannot continue with something they have worked for for over 8 years already is really disheartening, especially when its oer something trivial like height. Wolves got rid of me at 16 for that exact reason, being a few inches too short. Ive heard of goalkeepers being released because of the sizes of their hands- its disgusting. Alex Gott who got released and the end of last season is a good friend of mine and he was devastated by the news. Luckily he found a scholarship in Florida so hasnt got to let go of his dream just yet.

In my opinion clubs should only be allowed to scout under 14's at the lowest. Clubs are more interested in the probability of finding the next big thing rather than the person itself. everyone £100 a week as an apprentice and they can literally let you go at any point.

Cov Kid, id tell the scouts where to go and not to come back for at least another 5 years. Let the lads enjoy their football and they will become better players for it

Spot on. Even if my lad turns out to have any talent (which is unlikely given I've seen the milkman play and he's crap) I'll be telling him to just enjoy the game and play with his mates. It's supposed to be fun, ffs.

Scouting kids at 7 or 8, and then taking the best ones away from their junior clubs and mates (and not allowing them to play for them again!) doesn't seem right to me. Once again I suspect it's more about clubs making money via a numbers game, than it is about developing individual players for their own benefit.

fernandopartridge

Fella on my street's lad was approached even younger than that. He's with Everton! Madness. No wonder footballers are so out of touch. Let them grow up and love the game first.

RoboCCFC90

Well I was happy to get the news over the weekend that my nephew (age of 6) has been given a six week training period with City after they saw him play one game..

I am one very proud Uncle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covkid1968#

I've done that for the next 12 months, and the parents are in support of that. But at 8 it will be harder to keep them away. All very predatory and not good when you are trying to grow their confidence as team players

Covkid1968#

To the OP...your location is South Leics so isn't there just as much of a chance of a Leicestershire scout being there as a CCFC one? How do we know they weren't looking at other kids teams?

I think our Youth set up in the past 10-15 years has been one of the better ones around to be honest. We've produced some good players...Kirkland, Davenport, McSheffrey, Bigirimana, Wilson, Christie, Hall, Whing, Eustace etc. Not all world beaters but good, consistent players who contributed well to CCFC over the years.

Very true - will have to put my City hat on for this Sunday when we are away at Hinckley.

rupert_bear

Was involved with youth football some years back and like to think was a reasonable influence on some who went on to better things. Rules changed and pro clubs used their influence to bring in academies, "special" training etc, etc. My grandson aged 7 plays and is half decent for his age, he also believes in Santa and the tooth fairy, in other words he is still a babby who doesn't need any "you could be a footballer" talk, just play, play with his mates and in 5/6/7 years if he is good enough then see how he fairs. But I see parents at his team, mainly the mothers I may add who have their little "Johnny" almost a superstar because he scores a few goals or dribbles by a couple of defenders. There are a couple of kids in the team who have just been released by the Cov academy...aged 7, wtf is that all about. Another is being "chased" apparently by Cov, Leicester, Albion and Villa and when they sign, oh yes they have to sign, they are not allowed to play for anyone else and all this is backed by the FA. It's nothing more than a fucking cattle market, grabbing a load of hopefuls, sifting through them looking for the one in a million next Wayne Rooney. At the end of the day to quote perhaps the truest words in football, you have to be good enough, footballers cannot be manufactured, don't care how many academies or training camps you join, oh and remember a lot of these camps they have to pay, £25 a month at the Cov one, unless you are signed up.

The Prefect

Scouting kids at 7 or 8, and then taking the best ones away from their junior clubs and mates (and not allowing them to play for them again!) doesn't seem right to me.

My son played for Bristol City and Bournemouth and with both he was released at the end of the season and allowed to play the summer six-a-sides with his old club. They had a good team for six-aside as 5 of their number either played for or had trials with professional clubs.

I just wonder whether people are being a little touchy... There are millions playing the game and only 90 or so professional clubs so the chances of being a professional footballer are small. For me, the biggest problem that clubs have with youngsters is managing expectations of the player and the player's family. Poor people skills.

fernandopartridge

Well I was happy to get the news over the weekend that my nephew (age of 6) has been given a six week training period with City after they saw him play one game..

I am one very proud Uncle

Only six weeks! He'll be sold after that the money grabbing bastards

RoboCCFC90

Risky policy. A few good games and he'll have his agent in his ear saying he'd get twice the Fruit Shoots somewhere else.

Don't worry about that, his Uncle is his acting agent and he ensures that his client will be tied down to the longest contract this Club has ever seen..

RoboCCFC90

ccfc1234

We need to pitch ourselves in a more polished way. Christie, wilson and many others have come through at CCFC, if they were in the PL they would be dropping down the leagues for game time and may not have shone. We have a unique offering in the fact if your good enough you will play. If I had a child of ability I would want him to play matches and rise up the leagues sensibly. Yes at ccfc you may earn slightly less per week however in the long run it may make you thousands a week when you get the move as a player of substance.

duffer

My son played for Bristol City and Bournemouth and with both he was released at the end of the season and allowed to play the summer six-a-sides with his old club. They had a good team for six-aside as 5 of their number either played for or had trials with professional clubs.

I just wonder whether people are being a little touchy... There are millions playing the game and only 90 or so professional clubs so the chances of being a professional footballer are small. For me, the biggest problem that clubs have with youngsters is managing expectations of the player and the player's family. Poor people skills.

I hear what you're saying, but in some ways I think you've summed up the problem in a nutshell, Prefect. Millions playing the game, and very little chance of making it, but despite that five of your side played or had trials for professional clubs. That, to me, suggests a rather lazy 'shotgun' approach from the professional outfits, and truthfully I'm not sure that's entirely beneficial to the players or junior clubs involved.

I wouldn't claim to have thought this out entirely, but my gut feel is what's needed is more support for the junior clubs from the F.A. and the professional sides (basic stuff like, balls, cones, bibs, and decent pitches), better (and free) training for voluntary coaches, and some kind of limit in terms of time and/or numbers to their access to very young players.

Junior clubs are the lifeblood of the game, and despite the millions floating around in football, the infrastructure is shocking. At the very least, I'd bring in something that said for every player taken from a junior club, the professional team would have to offer something back in terms of coaching or kit for the club involved. At the moment it's a numbers game, and that doesn't show much respect for either the players or clubs involved.

As for poor people skills, it suits the big clubs just fine to allow parents and players to believe that their lad might be the next big thing - it's how they manage to draw them away from their originating clubs, imho.

stupot07

Definitely duffer. Grass roots is where they should be targeting resource haven't we got something line 2k people trained to a specifics coaching standard compared with 20-30k in Spain/Germany/holland, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

duffer

Definitely duffer. Grass roots is where they should be targeting resource haven't we got something line 2k people trained to a specifics coaching standard compared with 20-30k in Spain/Germany/holland, etc?

Yep, some figures here, Stu. I'm not a typical Daily Telegraph reader, but personally I think this is about right...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...oncentrate-on-fixing-grassroots-football.html

Users who are viewing this thread