Sacking Andy Thorn, Pointless (1 Viewer)

EleanorRigby

If things had been normal here Andy Thorn would have been history as manager weeks ago but they ain't. While and until these takeover talks are concluded one way or t'other we may as well stick with what we have. Relegation for me is now inevitable so we might aswell just see out the season, see how things pan out and bring a new regime in at the end of it, hopefully under new owners and investment and start again. There will be plenty of interest from all sorts of managers in us, old ones, new ones. If i thought getting rid of AT would bring about a miraculous escape i would go for it, but IMO it won't.

BrisbaneBronco

If things had been normal here Andy Thorn would have been history as manager weeks ago but they ain't. While and until these takeover talks are concluded one way or t'other we may as well stick with what we have. Relegation for me is now inevitable so we might aswell just see out the season, see how things pan out and bring a new regime in at the end of it, hopefully under new owners and investment and start again. There will be plenty of interest from all sorts of managers in us, old ones, new ones. If i thought getting rid of AT would bring about a miraculous escape i would go for it, but IMO it won't.

Finally some sense and realism!!!!!

Otis

If I believed relegation was inevitable i would agree with you, but it's not quite yet.

There is still a glimmer of a chance. While we still have that small morsel of a chance I think we need to bring a new man in to see if that can change the mindset of the squad and bring new belief.

Once we are gone then there is obviously no chance then i would stick with what we've got.

Gaz

hallelujah !

Problem is that the minority are out with the pitchforks and burning torches are faliling to be realistic with manager replacements or want to put the faith in other rookie managers who are no better than what we already have because trying anything is the way forward apparently.

BrisbaneBronco

If I believed relegation was inevitable i would agree with you, but it's not quite yet.

There is still a glimmer of a chance. While we still have that small morsel of a chance I think we need to bring a new man in to see if that can change the mindset of the squad and bring new belief.

Once we are gone then there is obviously no chance then i would stick with what we've got.

If what you are saying is the only option, then we would have to appoint from within ie Rioch or Carsley as I am pretty sure Thorn would be the lowest paid manager in the Championship and SISU will not shell out on a proven manager ie Warnock or Jones. I do not believe that Thorn will step aside and go back to being Scout so its situation as is.
Then there is the other point which is a possible takeover. Who would take over from Thorn, knowing that by the summer they could be replaced. Only one name springs to mind which is Bobby Gould and he has failed twice already.

EleanorRigby

Another thing to consider, as these takeover talks are going on and the issue has been rumbling for months i am sure in a smoke filled room armed with vodka and tonics or whatever, Mr Hoffman and others have discussed the future management of the team, just as we do on here. Ideas and plans will be in place of that i'm certain, the future manager may even know, in fact if there was a takeover and there was dithering about the playing side i would be pretty pissed off to be honest, but first things first, lets hope changes at the top happen

BrisbaneBronco

Another thing to consider, as these takeover talks are going on and the issue has been rumbling for months i am sure in a smoke filled room armed with vodka and tonics or whatever, Mr Hoffman and others have discussed the future management of the team, just as we do on here. Ideas and plans will be in place of that i'm certain, the future manager may even know, in fact if there was a takeover and there was dithering about the playing side i would be pretty pissed off to be honest, but first things first, lets hope changes at the top happen

Do not know whether to believe there will be a takeover or not, but if there are MEANINGFUL TALKS going on at present then what you are saying makes sense.

Chipfat

Any other Club or time in our clubs history AT would of been gone, his win % is worse than any other manager in recent times, so i want rid but know the realism is AT will see the season out ... And that decision is like the the decision to hire him Financial,,, i fear we have no plan long term plan with sisu and if relegation happens we as a club will sink deeper than any of us can imagine..

So i understand and support anyone who thinks AT needs to go, but also know reality is a completly different thing,, As for pointless changing AT ,,, be careful what you wish for as that's what we could end up being from now on as the players might take on AT attitude which by last nights interview is resigned to defeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

EleanorRigby

Hurts to say, but some of those apparently in the know, tell me this could and should have been concluded months ago but a certain Mr Delieu played hardball on his own back and knocked things off the rails, they seem to be back on track again, lets hope so.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I hate chopping and changing managers, but surely you can see we're going nowhere under Thorn? If supporters keep giving him their support our powers that be will be giving him a new contract pretty soon as they'll think he's doing ok because he has fans support!!

EleanorRigby

I am certain whatever happens behind the scenes Andy Thorne won't be manager next season but until things get resolved one way or the other things will stay as they are. I could see an option of bringing in someone from within to take the reins, Carsley being an obvious candidate if he wants to, who says he hasn't been asked but declined. Seems strange he isn't atleast on the sidelines as a coach or assistant or something.

BrisbaneBronco

I am certain whatever happens behind the scenes Andy Thorne won't be manager next season but until things get resolved one way or the other things will stay as they are. I could see an option of bringing in someone from within to take the reins, Carsley being an obvious candidate if he wants to, who says he hasn't been asked but declined. Seems strange he isn't atleast on the sidelines as a coach or assistant or something.

There are 2 scenarios in my opinion, either way, Thorn will not be manager next season.

If we are taken over then my money is on Strachan to return(unfinished business) and still the only manager after leaving us to go on to better things and acheive success, apart from BG FA Cup win in 1988.

If we are not taken over, then my money is on Carsley who will be another cheap SISU option.

Grendel

Hurts to say, but some of those apparently in the know, tell me this could and should have been concluded months ago but a certain Mr Delieu played hardball on his own back and knocked things off the rails, they seem to be back on track again, lets hope so.

Were theses the same people "in the know" who told you that we would be enjoying vast wealth now and a takeover was in the bag before February 1st. Enjoy the "ride" I think you said -- it's a bit of a slippery slope to me - they don't seem to know very much at all.

dadgad

Been saying this for weeks mate, but some won't have it.

BrisbaneBronco

Think re-appointing Strachan would turn the natives very ugly against any new regime.

Strachan is remembered for getting us relegated.
We played good football under him, but he too was forced to sell players against his will. Also he was forced to sign a couple of Hondurans he did not want by back hander Richardson(Allegedly)
IMO opinion we could do a lot worse and he has the character and strength to make amends for last time and prove his worth.

EleanorRigby

Were theses the same people "in the know" who told you that we would be enjoying vast wealth now and a takeover was in the bag before February 1st. Enjoy the "ride" I think you said -- it's a bit of a slippery slope to me - they don't seem to know very much at all.
I am afraid so, around christmas time people in the posh seats were very boyant about our prospects and are subdued now, hopeful of an early resolution to try and save our season, wasn't to be but still optimistic. Think all made the mistake of thinking any takeover was easy but obviously aren't.

Paxman II

Can we just drop this idea that there is no money to fire one manager and pay a little more to get another one in?
If SISU did the initial run on gate increase (always happens) will cover it for the remainder of the season alone.

That's just putting a simpleton look on it.

I also think most people on here (not being businessmen themselves and rather naive) underestimate SISU's position.

stupot07

Can we just drop this idea that there is no money to fire one manager and pay a little more to get another one in?
If SISU did the initial run on gate increase (always happens) will cover it for the remainder of the season alone.

That's just putting a simpleton look on it.

I also think most people on here (not being businessmen themselves and rather naive) underestimate SISU's position.

A new manager won't cause a surge of fans at the turnstile...

Where are all those fans that stayed away when king was here?

Gaz

Oh dear, is this the new line now is it

"new manager will Increase gates and pay for himself"

kdrinkell

The clown has led us down this road and there's no coming back,he may as well stay at the helm the fat fukwit

stupot07

Does it really though?

Yes it does. We lack quality, pace, goals and creativity. This squad is worse that the one that finished 18th last season. In fact the quality of the squad has been gradually decline over the last few seasons in line with the reduction in the wage bill, which must be one of if not the lowest in the championship.

Nick

Administrator
If it is so bad, how come we are not being hammered 5-0 every week? We have been in winning positions so many times this season so we can't be that bad surely?

Thorn seems to be bullet proof!

stupot07

He's not bullet proof nick. We're nit getting hammered because a) we're quite good at keeping possession (look at swanseas recent goal against record) and b) our best players are defenders ( keogh and cranie)

Our big problem is the lack of quality, pace, goals and creativity in the final third. Not to mention the lack of mental strength and leadership.

The not getting hammered 5-0 every week argument doesn't wash with me. If a team lost every game 1-0 or 2-1 and picked up 0 points for the season, would that make them not too bad because they don't get hammered every week?

Grendel

No but it does imply that the players are not without hope. The argument then deployed is a better manager would possibly secure more points when the game is tight.

Users who are viewing this thread