Ryton Improvements Start (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

Wonder what teams will be at Ryton at the moment the U/18s are at the Higgs, would think they be with the first team

chiefdave

where are we training if the pitches have been taken out of action at Ryton

edit: was on my phone and didn't see the full thing, only using one pitch for the rest of the season

slowpoke

Years since I’ve been there but I’m sure there were five pitches, I think we’d need an indoor facilities like the dome at the Higgs could we nick the Connexion back.

Sbarcher

Bloody travellers, they'll set up camp anywhere!

Calista

Years since I’ve been there but I’m sure there were five pitches, I think we’d need an indoor facilities like the dome at the Higgs could we nick the Connexion back.
Think we basically built the 'Sky Blue Connexion' with the money we got for Ian Wallace. Who owns it now, presumably just a private leisure chain?

shepardo01

Only ever been three (I think) and that includes one that used to be there before they built the indoor cricket hall at the connexion.
The two over the hill at the lodge, used to have a large mound separating them - youth team used to train one side, 1st team the other.
Mound been gone for a while, but prerty sure there are only two full sized pitches with a few other areas around those.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

The pitches used to extend from the lodge all the way to the connection as far as the roundabout on the main road, so you're right. Mind you that's going back quite a while.

slowpoke

It is big enough and if we got the Connexion back that would probably sort the indoor stuff don’t know if there’s room for a dome type thing. Robins said the other week we need better training facilities to help impress & attract the better players so there must be plans and ideas more than just doing pitches up.
I’ve been to few training complexes in recent years and some are unbelievable, Leicester is world class.

torchomatic

Think we basically built the 'Sky Blue Connexion' with the money we got for Ian Wallace. Who owns it now, presumably just a private leisure chain?

Didn't we have to sell it after the Washington Diplomats thing?

slowpoke

Perhaps Jimmy Hill deserves his statue at our ground but if there was one at Ryton which was his bit of a ground breaking idea nearly 60 years ago it would be with his arse in the air, the Connexion was a massive white elephant and cost us one of best strike partnerships in the top division and once they were split up it was back to struggling every season.

Bad Boy

It's good to see things being improved at Ryton, I like us being up there and it's a connection to the JH days and hopefully we'll be there for many years to come.
Yes Leicester’s facilities are superb and I for one are very envious.

slowpoke

It would cost a lot of money but if the club can buy that plot where those commercial vehicles are and the Connexion building it could be made pretty smart, but compared to Leicester one as example it would be miles away.
Derby is impressive too, lots of pitches and large indoor facilities. Villa & Albion the same. To be comparable as said would take a lot of money and would be a lot smaller.

mmttww

When you look at it like that, it's pretty underwhelming for a club of our size and standard.
It does like pretty tin pot. A sign of intent would be to grab the Connexion back and use the land somehow. Might have to keep it in community use somehow but if we're staying at Ryton, not many other options for expansion by the looks of it.

shmmeee

Warwick Uni seems the obvious location for a training ground and a decent chunk of the facilities we’d need are already there.

Cov Uni own a bit around Kirby Corner as well, you’ve got a few minor sports teams, a secondary school and Warwick Uni all in that area. There must be something that can be done that helps all of them out.

I still think a mini stadium sort of 5-10k would find uses around there too. Reserve games, local tournaments, etc. Then have a sports science bit shared between both unis and the club with some community access, and a bunch of indoor and outdoor pitches.

slowpoke

Years of neglect.
Problem has been SISU were expecting and hoping to get rid of it one day for housing reckon which was blocked by the sports council, reckon we’re were lucky to get one pitch done up a bit.
It’s not that long ago Robins gave up some of his budget to paint the bloody place, shower of shit Joy and her gang were I hope they are up to their necks in this USA banking debacle.

Last edited:

Skybluemichael

It would cost a lot of money but if the club can buy that plot where those commercial vehicles are and the Connexion building it could be made pretty smart, but compared to Leicester one as example it would be miles away.
Derby is impressive too, lots of pitches and large indoor facilities. Villa & Albion the same. To be comparable as said would take a lot of money and would be a lot smaller.
Doug is a bit late again, like the stadium connex was sold recently

Users who are viewing this thread