Running (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Another 2 weeks before I can start running again starting to get a bit bored to be honest

SkyBlueSoul

Starting to get back into it now I've settled into my new flat, looking forward to going out rather than seeing it as a chore. 5k on Saturday to flush the hangover out, hopefully 10k tonight. Debating signing up for the Manchester half in October to give me a goal to aim for.

Another 2 weeks before I can start running again starting to get a bit bored to be honest
How's the ankle doing, you back out yet?

Sky_Blue_Daz

Starting to get back into it now I've settled into my new flat, looking forward to going out rather than seeing it as a chore. 5k on Saturday to flush the hangover out, hopefully 10k tonight. Debating signing up for the Manchester half in October to give me a goal to aim for.

How's the ankle doing, you back out yet?
Not yet mate, took a bit longer for the dressings to come off , bruising and swelling to go down . Back to work next week so didn’t want to risk being off again. I’ve been doing a lot of walking the last week or so to see how it holds up . I’m off on holiday at the end of the month so will just keep the walking up till then . So will probably start running again after , going to use the couch to 5k for a couple of weeks and then just go back to my 4 mile routes for a while hopefully

Travs

I raced a couple of weeks ago at the Holyhead Mountain fell race on Anglesey.

Was a bit of a tester to see where my fitness is at the moment.... after running the inter-counties and tearing my calf, then running the English Champs the following weekend with said torn calf.... i then obviously struggled for a month or so to train properly.

So off to Holyhead.... ran the first mile in a touch under 5:30, but the leaders were already stretching away, so i knew it wasn't going to be my day.... finished 12th and was only 35 seconds off my pb time from last year.... so was reasonably pleased with that.

Am now most of the way through a "block" of training to take me through to my next races.... a 12 mile fell race in the Brecon Beacons a week on saturday.... followed by the next round of the English Champs 8 days later, which is a simple straight up and down to the summit from a village in County Durham.

Hoping to perform well at both.

fernandopartridge

I've been out a few times recently, was only doing about 5-6km on average but went up to 9km and 8.5km last week. Will try and get a 10km in before I go away next week. 6km last night in 29:34.

Doing some other gym stuff so feeling fitter than I have for a few years.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Travs

Training with Godiva last night, and our group was on the grass doing 5 x 90secs, followed by 5 x 60mtr sprints.

Quite enjoy these speedwork sessions on the grass, a chance to work hard, but away from the "pressure" of being timed on the track for every rep.

I did however sneak a look at my watch on a few reps, and seemed to be doing the 90secs between about 16:35 - 16:50/5km pace (i wouldn't get near that time on a full 5km)..... but nice progress as i recall doing 60second grass reps this time last year at about 17min/5km pace.

Back to the pressure-cooker of the track on thursday for some 1km and 200mtr reps.

Travs

Track session with Godiva last night.

3 x (1km, 200mtr jog, 200mtrs)

Target for the km's was 3:15, and for the 200mtrs was 33secs.

Having never ran quicker than 3:18 before on a km rep, i was somewhat sceptical that i could hit these targets, but gave it my best shot....

km's
3:18
3:19
3:21

200's
34secs
35secs
35secs

That was a punishing session, and mentally hard running km reps on the track, getting your time shouted out every half lap, you are aware of every second that you're dropping off the pace. Additionally there were only three of us doing that particular session, and i was comfortably the slowest, so basically time-trialling and seeing the other two edge away all the time.

11.5 miles including warm up, warm down etc

DawlishSkyBlue

Track session with Godiva last night.

3 x (1km, 200mtr jog, 200mtrs)

Target for the km's was 3:15, and for the 200mtrs was 33secs.

Having never ran quicker than 3:18 before on a km rep, i was somewhat sceptical that i could hit these targets, but gave it my best shot....

km's
3:18
3:19
3:21

200's
34secs
35secs
35secs

That was a punishing session, and mentally hard running km reps on the track, getting your time shouted out every half lap, you are aware of every second that you're dropping off the pace. Additionally there were only three of us doing that particular session, and i was comfortably the slowest, so basically time-trialling and seeing the other two edge away all the time.

11.5 miles including warm up, warm down etc
Tough session that

SkyBlueSoul

Always jealous of people who are capable of running in the morning, would love to do a parkrun

Sick Boy

Always jealous of people who are capable of running in the morning, would love to do a parkrun
I’ve always been fine doing it, it’s worth trying to get into if you can, if you can get out for 6am it’s a great way to start the day and really calming, especially on weekends.

fernandopartridge

I prefer evenings, I don't feel energetic in the morning but have done park run a few times and do morning runs out of necessity at times

Hertsccfc

I prefer evenings, I don't feel energetic in the morning but have done park run a few times and do morning runs out of necessity at times

I am the same. I couldn't imagine running or other exercise in the morning, especially early morning, but afternoon or evening is fine.

Sick Boy

I got into the habit when doing it for boxing when I was younger (I hated running with a passion then) but I tend to wake up naturally around 5am anyway. On Christmas Day last year I woke up at 4:30 with a bit of a hangover and couldn't get back to sleep so got up and ran a half marathon. I'm not mad, honest.

DawlishSkyBlue

I like the solitude on early morning runs; no cars in the lanes and get the sea wall to myself. I too wake up early naturally, probably from working as a postie for years

Travs

I spectated the Northbrook 10km this morning.

Was on Wall Hill Road about 2.5km in, and then back near the finish a short while later.

Adrian from Northbrook (who i know well) set a cracking pace early on and had about 50 metres lead when i first saw him... but there was a solid group of experienced runners behind him, and a lot of uphill running to go.

By the end the group had pulled through, Jamie from Godiva taking the win, with a couple of Stratford AC guys 2nd and 3rd.

The Northbrook guy has only been running competitively for a couple of years at most... no doubt he'll get stronger with more experience.

DawlishSkyBlue

Did a nice 10.5 miles this morning, easy pace up in the hills above Dawlish with about 1400 ft elevation. Dropped back into town at the end to finish with some hill sprints and was hit with a month's rainfall in about 2 minutes 😅

Sky_Blue_Daz

My wife and her friend did the northbrook today , they hadn’t trained much but they enjoyed it

SkyBlueSoul

I’ve always been fine doing it, it’s worth trying to get into if you can, if you can get out for 6am it’s a great way to start the day and really calming, especially on weekends.
I hear what you're saying but, like a few previous comments, respectfully disagree because I'm at the extreme end of the night owl spectrum. I tried once and went for a run at 7am and it ruined my day. Sapped the minimal energy I have in the mornings and I was dead by 10am. Could run for hours in the evening though and find it clears my head before bed.

Great_Expectations

It was pretty certain after too forced deferrals but I had official confirmation last week I’m running the London Marathon in April.

Since my last post on here I’ve kept up the regular running, but think I sub consciously ended up in habit of running 4miles each time I went out - mainly as time was always against me.

Changed that the week before last and varying my runs again which feels great. 8.5 miles XC last weekend, which was great other than the field full of horses I had to navigate through!

Been pretty good food wise too - albeit the last two days haven’t been the healthiest - but generally doing well.

Really keen to not just hit a marathon PB but also get into decent shape (i.e. pre kids when spare time was a thing) - while still maintaining a social life!

I’ve been varying run times too, I much prefer mornings as it’s quieter and gets it’s done! Kids are awake at 5-5:30 so been trying to just head off as soon as they wake me up! Occasionally try and slip a run in at lunch times when WFH but a) I don’t always end up having one and b) it often feels rushed. After work as a general rule I don’t enjoy, but for some reason recently I’ve found it ok, I even look forward it it occasionally. Ultimately varying up distances and times I head out has been pretty enjoyable.

Onwards and upwards!

SkyBlueSoul

5k on Friday and my achilles were screaming so had the weekend off, 12k tonight in 58:48 and felt really good. Had enough in the tank to drop a 4:32 for the last km.

Travs

I raced on the fells in South Wales on saturday. Weather forecast was shocking, 60-70mph winds, zero visibility, etc.

In the event, whilst it was most unpleasant, very strong wind, heavy rain and hailstorms, it probably wasn't as bad as forecast.

I thought i had a very good chance of winning this..... absolutely bolted up the first peak and had a 30second lead at the top over a young local lad, with the rest of the field already 3mins behind.

Shot off into the clouds and made a navigation error getting to the second peak... knew i'd lost a load of time/positions... was rather relieved to find out i was still in 3rd and could just about see the leader a couple of minutes in front.

Over to the third peak and i ran the fastest leg here, and got myself back into joint 1st.

We were now approx an hour into the race, with at least another hour left, and three of us were well clear of the rest of the field... it was clear it was a three-horse-race.... to get to the fourth and final peak there are a number of route options.... the young lad took in my opinion the slower route, leaving me to battle it out with the other guy....

Unfortunately my exertions over the first hour to stay in the hunt, had pretty much left me running on empty... i dropped 2 mins over to the final top, then a further 3mins on the 20 minute descent to the finish.

2nd place, really felt i had the capability to win... but that's the beauty of fellracing, there's way more to it than simple running ability.

tommydazzle

Got an interesting 5k race coming up where they use your Parkrun time to set your start times. So you’ll get head starts on all the runners faster than you who will try and reel you in whilst you hunt down the slower runners. It means in theory that we’ll all converge at the finish line and anyone can win. It’s called Beat the Jaguars - the local club the Coltishall Jaguars have set this up so might give it a go.

Sick Boy

Been waking up at 5am recently to get out but it’s tough going with the heat. Saw someone running late afternoon today and it was 42c -I’d end up in hospital if I tried that.

fernandopartridge

8k last night. Whilst I was in Benidorm my mate challenged me to do the Cov Half Marathon in October. I've never run that far but I am tempted to sign up, though I had been thinking about signing up for the Manchester one which is two weeks before.

SkyBlueSoul

8k last night. Whilst I was in Benidorm my mate challenged me to do the Cov Half Marathon in October. I've never run that far but I am tempted to sign up, though I had been thinking about signing up for the Manchester one which is two weeks before.

I've been considering the Manchester half as well but saved myself £60 on Friday night.

Users who are viewing this thread