Running (4 Viewers)

wingy

Bloody hell lads
Sorry to hear of your woes.
Hope you're all up and sorted/going again in the not too distant future.
Is it exercise induced asthma Rich?
It's weird how that can come on .
My daughter too trying to maintain a healthy regimen with gym work and spinning etc .

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got another 4 miles done today times abit slower but I put that down to walking about 3 miles at work prior to my run

Rich

Cov half cancelled. Thank god.
They didn’t let on it was going to be completely inside the ring road did they. Would’ve been torture.

Travs

Club session tonight. 8 x half mile road reps. Managed to knock them consistently out at approx 5:40/mile pace, give or take a couple of seconds either way...

Encouraging, as this time last year I'd be struggling to hold that pace on fresh legs, and did it today with relative ease on quite fatigued legs from last weekend...

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Cov half cancelled. Thank god.
They didn’t let on it was going to be completely inside the ring road did they. Would’ve been torture.
Was that the planned route for it? I don't really see how they could have made it covid secure. I'll have to come up with my own route for the day now i suppose.

Great_Expectations

Virtual London Marathon tomorrow - starting at 9:30 at Memorial and planned my route to take in a few sites/places that mean something to me to help pass the time. I’ve also got a variety of people doing different sections with me, again to help get me through (hopefully!).

Hit a snag today as a good chunk of my route was along the canal, which I (fortunately) discovered today is actually closed, so quick re plan tonight!

Having only had three weeks notice and a new born in the house I won’t be breaking any records, but as long as I finish, don’t stop and run the whole thing I’ll be happy.

CrawleySkyBlue

Virtual London Marathon tomorrow - starting at 9:30 at Memorial and planned my route to take in a few sites/places that mean something to me to help pass the time. I’ve also got a variety of people doing different sections with me, again to help get me through (hopefully!).

Hit a snag today as a good chunk of my route was along the canal, which I (fortunately) discovered today is actually closed, so quick re plan tonight!

Having only had three weeks notice and a new born in the house I won’t be breaking any records, but as long as I finish, don’t stop and run the whole thing I’ll be happy.

Good luck

Travs

Ran a 10km track session yesterday on a grey, damp and windy morning at Pingles... now that the rush of facilities being open has subsided, most track competition now over for the year, and the weather deteriorating, i had the track to myself.

40:59.... not race pace by any stretch, but was still working hard. Had hoped to keep it under 40mins but started a little too slowly, and realised that with the fatigue slowly building, i wasn't going to drag it back under 40mins, so just saw it out steady and consistent.

Need to do more of these threshold/tempo type sessions... love the shorter rep sessions, and the longer slower runs, but seem to neglect this middle ground.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did 4 miles Monday and today, going to try to increase it to 5 for the end of the month
I was told that 3 laps round the memorial park equates to 5 miles and it’s a nice path all the way round so will use that during the autum/winter

Travs

Draycote Water is a good one for those of us in the Cov/Warks/Rugby areas. Nice path all the way round, Just under 4.5 miles round (if i remember correctly).

Quite popular though. On a warm sunny sunday morning there will be tens and tens of people running round. Probably a little quieter now though.

larry_david

Draycote Water is a good one for those of us in the Cov/Warks/Rugby areas. Nice path all the way round, Just under 4.5 miles round (if i remember correctly).

Quite popular though. On a warm sunny sunday morning there will be tens and tens of people running round. Probably a little quieter now though.
That's my 15k route. According to my strava anyway twice round.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

How did it go GE?!

My mate at work did it round Bicester. Just over 5h30m but he'd hardly ran seriously before so was dead chuffed. He raised £1300 for Helen and Douglas House too 👍

Great_Expectations

How did it go GE?!

My mate at work did it round Bicester. Just over 5h30m but he'd hardly ran seriously before so was dead chuffed. He raised £1300 for Helen and Douglas House too 👍

It went quite well - thanks for asking. Especially considering I hadn’t been training for a marathon.

Officially my time was ~4:20ish, but I’m classing it as 4, as at mile 21 I hit an overflown river in the middle of a field, with absolutely no way round, so had to get the map out to plan a new route on the fly, which wasted ~20 minutes plotting it/and stop starting to ensure I was on track. But other than that I enjoyed it.

Doing the Jersey Virtual Half this morning, but going to take it fairly easy.

Running is a convenient excuse for a break from a three week and a 13 month old!

Rich

My asthma has finally rescinded enough for me to get back out and running. Managed 9miles last week, unfortunately I had to give up my London spot as I wasn’t ready for that.
Done a couple of 5ks, a 400m reps session and an 8mile trail run this week.
Loving being able to run again.

Sky Blue Pete

Did 4 miles Monday and today, going to try to increase it to 5 for the end of the month
I was told that 3 laps round the memorial park equates to 5 miles and it’s a nice path all the way round so will use that during the autum/winter
Yep it’s about 1.7 round the outside so that’s about right

Sky_Blue_Daz

Done the old couch to 5k during lockdown and and for the first time in my life yesterday managed to do 5 miles! Chuffed with that as I was never really a runner or interested in it.
Well done mate ,

Travs

Another track session down at Pingles this morning. 12km effort. Intention was to keep it as close as possible to 4mins/km pace throughout, and finished slightly ahead of that with 47:32...

Even though i'd say it wasn't quite "race pace" i actually went through 10km in 39:32 which would in fact be a pb... as i very rarely race on the roads. On today's basis i'd like to think i could have a push towards 38:30 for a 10km in full race conditions.

CrawleySkyBlue

4 days off for me then back to back sub 18 min 5kms on the road. The second 5km being a pb at 17:28. Taken about 1:15 off my 5km time since the start of lockdown.

Pleased in all and helps to pick me up after a Cov loss.

Travs

4 days off for me then back to back sub 18 min 5kms on the road. The second 5km being a pb at 17:28. Taken about 1:15 off my 5km time since the start of lockdown.

Pleased in all and helps to pick me up after a Cov loss.

Fantastic stuff.... i'm planning an attempt at a 5km pb next weekend. Hoping to push towards the 18mins mark, but any kind of pb would please me (current best of 18:34 although its well over a year old now).

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did my 3 laps round memorial park earlier loved it

larry_david

How on earth do you do 5k in 18? I've trimmed it down from 29 mins to 23 yesterday and that 23 I tried to sprint the last half a k!

Travs

How on earth do you do 5k in 18? I've trimmed it down from 29 mins to 23 yesterday and that 23 I tried to sprint the last half a k!

It's all relative. To your average couch-potato, 23mins is ridiculously quick. I'm looking towards 18mins, but then i also look in astonishment at those in my club who can do it in 15/16mins. No doubt the lad in my club who ran in the Rio Olympics also looks in wonder at those who lapped him at Rio and do it in closer to 13mins!

Personally i reckon i've got the potential to get down closer to 17mins if i applied myself correctly (i recently ran a 3km track race at 17:30 equivalent pace). But i probably won't ever get there, as i like my fell-running too much and this does affect what i do in training.

CrawleySkyBlue

Yeah as Travs says it is all relative. I look at a few guys I know who can do 5km in under 15 mins, which is the equivalent of me knocking off at least 30 seconds per km, and I have no idea how it is even possible to run that fast.

Knocking 6 minutes off is fantastic but I bet at the start you'd have thought getting down to 23 or even 24 minutes would be very difficult, but with increased confidence and continued training, you continue to improve and keep knocking off the odd couple of seconds here and there.

Hertsccfc

I started running four weeks ago and it takes me about 28 minutes for 5k. I am 55 and fairly fit but feel I have lost some of that during lockdown. What's a reasonable target to achieve say by Christmas? I am trying to run twice a week.

fernandopartridge

Travs

I started running four weeks ago and it takes me about 28 minutes for 5k. I am 55 and fairly fit but feel I have lost some of that during lockdown. What's a reasonable target to achieve say by Christmas? I am trying to run twice a week.

It's hard to give a specific target for anybody, as we usually have no idea on general health, weight, diet, and previous running abilities and training.

It sounds like a cop-out, but you can only really know yourself how you feel about a run or a time, and as long as you are progressing then that's what matters.

There will be a limit you can reach off only two runs a week, and at the age of 55 and in your words "fairly fit" it probably would be somewhere in the mid-to-high 20's.... that is strictly my opinion of course. I'd imagine you could certainly aim higher if you ran more often, if you were of that inclination of course...

Hertsccfc

It's hard to give a specific target for anybody, as we usually have no idea on general health, weight, diet, and previous running abilities and training.

It sounds like a cop-out, but you can only really know yourself how you feel about a run or a time, and as long as you are progressing then that's what matters.

There will be a limit you can reach off only two runs a week, and at the age of 55 and in your words "fairly fit" it probably would be somewhere in the mid-to-high 20's.... that is strictly my opinion of course. I'd imagine you could certainly aim higher if you ran more often, if you were of that inclination of course...
Thank you. I don't think I am likely to run more often than twice a week but if times start improving i might feel more motivated. I think I am fairly healthy, not overweight and have done a lot of sports but not much running as such.

Good luck with your 18 minutes. Like others on here I have no idea how you can do that!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a change of route today
Keresley green road
Sandpits Lane
The back of coundon park
Wall hill lane
Hollyfast Lane
Tamworth road
Sandpits Lane
Keresley green road
Loved it just under 4.5 miles
50 minutes timings ok for an overweight 44 year old

Rich

Had a change of route today
Keresley green road
Sandpits Lane
The back of coundon park
Wall hill lane
Hollyfast Lane
Tamworth road
Sandpits Lane
Keresley green road
Loved it just under 4.5 miles
50 minutes timings ok for an overweight 44 year old
Wall Hill is a beast isn't it.

robbiekeane

Back in New York today after a couple of months in extremely hot weather (35 degrees pretty much every day).

Lovely and cool and just got some proper running shoes (highly recommended btw, went and got the 3D scan of my ankles and feet as well as gait analysis and got some asics numbers - ugly as fuck and only had the ones with this rascal bright orange sole on them but they feel amazing) so got out there straight away.

5Km in 24:30 which I was happy with as I haven’t been able to get anywhere near that in the heat. My record was 20:30 back in cool April when I was running regularly so hoping to get back to that.

Looking at my splits the pace is still there and I’m way better in the cool weather but I was just gassed after the first mile:

763311B5-6271-4D77-B421-4E3DE21B746E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread