Rumour: Hoffman and Elliot takeover negotiations (9 Viewers)

Grendel

You aren't like anywhere professionally pal. Here is no different. See you later you joker.

I'd take it easy if I were you. Remember where he's from.

chiefdave

Depends on who the other two business men are. Should have more money than the trust so more chance (but still think none)
Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Hoffman and Elliot were involved in whatever plan the Trust have.

torchomatic

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Not sure I necessarily agree about Hoffman. He was hardly hands-on during his time on the board, and his appointment to it coincided with him taking the job on at Northern Rock - which was in a terrible state when he went there, so hardly a part-time undertaking. Not sure how much of a contribution he made to the 'mess' at CCFC before he had the sense to get out and distance himself from SISU. Elliott fair enough, nothing against him personally but I think he is too closely linked to failures of the past (from well before 2008).

Then I would question why he was a director at all for 3 years. Unfortunately a board of directors has joint and several liability and someone being busy elsewhere does not excuse them from their responsibilities to CCFC. It is not an excuse that would stand up in court. By allowing others to take actions without his involvement is still making a contribution to the mess. If he could not fulfil his duties because of other commitments he should have resigned his directorship. Harsh I know but CCFC has carried far too many passengers on and off the pitch over the decades. Doesn't make him a bad person but CCFC problems require a fully committed Board of Directors going forward can he provide that commitment

NorthernWisdom

So much has appeared... ;)

It's an interesting point - not unfair except that as with all other businesses you can't solely focus on cutting costs, you've also got to measure how well the product is doing. I think for a football club that has to at least in part relate to league position, becuase that's ultimately going to relate to how much money you have coming in. At the moment of course, that metric appears to be on an endless downward trend!

You could make the case that now is actually the ideal time to sell. We're relegated, but we've got a good manager in place and the basis for a squad that looks like it might be competitive in League 2. Someone buying the club now could promise some relatively minor investment, capitalise on the goodwill post-Wembley and get season tickets sales rising for next season rather than falling. If we lose half of the squad over the summer, drop a couple of thousand on renewals and start poorly in L2, then we'll have slid a bit further down the cycle imho.

Of course, SISU could also see that a trophy this season, followed by a promotion campaign next season helps them up the cycle. Not saying either is right or wrong but... there's certainly a logic for SISU to say sod it, let's hang around. Not like they've felt the need to leave yet, is it, and there's plenty of opportunity for them to scarper before!

Fuck off Simon.

And I'm not trolling. I genuinely want you to fuck off.

Bet he doesn't quote this in his next video feedback...

Not sure I necessarily agree about Hoffman. He was hardly hands-on during his time on the board, and his appointment to it coincided with him taking the job on at Northern Rock - which was in a terrible state when he went there, so hardly a part-time undertaking. Not sure how much of a contribution he made to the 'mess' at CCFC before he had the sense to get out and distance himself from SISU. Elliott fair enough, nothing against him personally but I think he is too closely linked to failures of the past (from well before 2008).

My issue with Hoffman is twofold. Like it or not, he was here as soon as SISU rocked up. I remember somewhere there was a justification he didn't know what SISU were about. That, to me, is most worrying as all he had to do was read GMK at the time (and my posts ;)) and he'd have had a big red flag. I appreciate he doesn't work in exactly the same area of finance, but to hook up with them with no due diligence on his part is very worrying. As, also, was the rather naive courting of Preston Haskell, and the manipulative noise of free rent offers that turned out not to be. They all helped muddy the waters, at a time when we needed a path ahead, and certainly didn't help.

Now in his defence, he did at least quit the board when things properly started to unravel.

Isn't it slightly mad that we want any recent board members back, though? Personally I think Fisher could be half capable with different paymasters but tough, he's thrown his lot in with this bunch, so he's tarred by association. Same goes for Hoffman, and that period was anything but successful, too.

As OSB said, nowt stopping either using their contacts to try and find potential owners. They don't have to have anything to do with it themselves in terms of being involved at the club at board level going forward, do they?

Although given his past record, if Elliott endorses anybody, we should run for the hills and far far away from them!

theferret

Then I would question why he was a director at all for 3 years. Unfortunately a board of directors has joint and several liability and someone being busy elsewhere does not excuse them from their responsibilities to CCFC. It is not an excuse that would stand up in court. By allowing others to take actions without his involvement is still making a contribution to the mess. If he could not fulfil his duties because of other commitments he should have resigned his directorship. Harsh I know but CCFC has carried far too many passengers on and off the pitch over the decades. Doesn't make him a bad person but CCFC problems require a fully committed Board of Directors going forward can he provide that commitment

Not disputing much of this, and clearly he was massively distracted during his time as a director. Quite possibly he should have resigned earlier; but that doesn't negate the fact he probably didn't have direct input and influence over the day to day running of the business. Not saying he is the right man, or indeed the wrong man, but I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if he came along with other investors and a coherent plan to take the club forward.

clint van damme

I know that Gary Hoffman has been following us home and away for decades, he is undeserving of such venom. He has tried his best to make the club better and has had some successes and some failures.
Joe Elliott is another who has his heart in the right place and has proven that over the decades.
These guys have put their heads above the parapet and are there to be shot at but those that criticize them for trying are the same people who suggest withholding support and do fuck all to improve the lot of the club they say they support.
Whether this succeeds or not I know that we will never have owners who have the love and best interests of the club at heart than these gentlemen.

I understand peoples reservations but your last sentence alone sums up what an improvement these 2 would be on the current owners.

clint van damme

The one hundreds of people were talking about, and being misled by, that we clarified?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

to be fair you haven't clarified anything. You've received a denial from the named parties. I've no idea if there is or isn't anything going on behind the scenes but they weren't going to confirm just because something broke on social media.

Let's see how it plays out, but in all likelihood it probably is a fuss about nothing.

olderskyblue

While you're on here Simon, next time you make a shit video can you not pay a girl to laugh at every comment. It's really annoying

If you listen closely to the laughing, you can tell she was pretending to laugh, but secretly agreeing with all the comments made... imho.. ;)

Captain Dart

What's Hoffman's story? Wasn't he involved at Northern Rock or something?

Does he have a decent amount of money, or would external investors be needed if JE and Hoff took over the club?
CEO of Hastings Insurance last time I checked.

NortonSkyBlue

Of course, SISU could also see that a trophy this season, followed by a promotion campaign next season helps them up the cycle. Not saying either is right or wrong but... there's certainly a logic for SISU to say sod it, let's hang around. Not like they've felt the need to leave yet, is it, and there's plenty of opportunity for them to scarper before!

My issue with Hoffman is twofold. Like it or not, he was here as soon as SISU rocked up. I remember somewhere there was a justification he didn't know what SISU were about. That, to me, is most worrying as all he had to do was read GMK at the time (and my posts ;)) and he'd have had a big red flag. I appreciate he doesn't work in exactly the same area of finance, but to hook up with them with no due diligence on his part is very worrying. As, also, was the rather naive courting of Preston Haskell, and the manipulative noise of free rent offers that turned out not to be. They all helped muddy the waters, at a time when we needed a path ahead, and certainly didn't help.

Now in his defence, he did at least quit the board when things properly started to unravel.

Isn't it slightly mad that we want any recent board members back, though? Personally I think Fisher could be half capable with different paymasters but tough, he's thrown his lot in with this bunch, so he's tarred by association. Same goes for Hoffman, and that period was anything but successful, too.

As OSB said, nowt stopping either using their contacts to try and find potential owners. They don't have to have anything to do with it themselves in terms of being involved at the club at board level going forward, do they?

Although given his past record, if Elliott endorses anybody, we should run for the hills and far far away from them!

When we were minutes from extinction Sisu rocked up and were seen as the solution at the time. Hindsight is a marvelous thing, like Slades appointment, we are all wise after the event.
Elliott is much maligned and once again I say by people who have done absolutely nothing for the club.
I have resigned myself to having to tolerate the current owners as I don't see them going anywhere but if we were to be taken over I would want it to be by someone who is a) super rich or b) with the best interests of my club at the center of their thinking and actions.

Captain Dart

Mark Venus is still registered as a Director of Otium, thought that appointment would have been terminated before now. Very odd.

NorthernWisdom

When we were minutes from extinction Sisu rocked up and were seen as the solution at the time. Hindsight is a marvelous thing, like Slades appointment, we are all wise after the event.
Some of us were wise before the event too, but were shouted down at the altar of good business sense... the evidence was out there (a lot more than it is now) that could have predicted absolute carnage if their investment didn't come off.

Elliott's judgement is shocking, his ability to spot a person with the best interests of CCFC at heart has been proven to be flawed time and time and time again.

Fine, he cares... but so does everybody who posts on here, and most of us you wouldn't let near the CCFC boardroom.

Yet we've failed a damned site less than Elliott, in such a capacity.

NorthernWisdom

Worth noting, btw, the 'minutes from extinction' was because the board and bank at the time wanted to create that impression, as it suited their aims (to claw as much cash back for themselves as possible) to position SISU as one and only choice.

They weren't.

The same as Elliott and Hoffman are not the only choice now.

dongonzalos

The one hundreds of people were talking about, and being misled by, that we clarified?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Personally I am glad to see you back on here.
Please don't get dragged down into the mire of crap Nick, Grendel and a tiny minority of others will throw at you.
It always better to have people on here who may have connections with any party involved in this saga.
It was good when PWKH used to post quite openly and honestly on here.

It would be great to have Tim Fisher on here and Les Reid.

As I say childish crap will fly your way. It would be good if you can rise above it and stay on here so when stories like this break. We may find out some more about it.

Can never really work out why people want to cut of their nose to spite their face on here and hound out those who have decent contacts or a good insight on events

Colin Steins Smile

As previously stated this could be another thread which has no basis in fact.
However, if Hoffman & Elliott are involved in some sort of consortium to try and prise the club from Avro/Sisu's grasp, then given that they will, most likely, be speculating other peoples funds. Those putting up the series money in any project of theirs should check on:
a] time commitment they can provide, as OSB rightly pointed out, Hoffman previously took a Directors position when it looks like he unable to fulfil his Directors responsibilities. However, to his credit he withdrew when he saw the change of direction SISU were taking with the business plan.
b] Whether, Joe Elliott has a skill set and competence that is required at board level.
What is clear is the club needs to engage the community in a positive, constructive way, which encourages it's stakeholders & supporters.

hutch1972

Some of us were wise before the event too, but were shouted down at the altar of good business sense... the evidence was out there (a lot more than it is now) that could have predicted absolute carnage if their investment didn't come off.

Elliott's judgement is shocking, his ability to spot a person with the best interests of CCFC at heart has been proven to be flawed time and time and time again.

Fine, he cares... but so does everybody who posts on here, and most of us you wouldn't let near the CCFC boardroom.

Yet we've failed a damned site less than Elliott, in such a capacity.
Still having the " minutes from extinction garbage " we may have been close to administration , but never close to winding up.
Had sisu not signed , we would have taken a points hit and eventually been bought by someone else.

italiahorse

Still having the " minutes from extinction garbage " we may have been close to administration , but never close to winding up.
Had sisu not signed , we would have taken a points hit and eventually been bought by someone else.
At the time Administration and the points deduction was our worst nightmare.
Looking back after taking the SBTalk finance course it was the best option.

olderskyblue

Can never really work out why people want to cut of their nose to spite their face on here and hound out those who have decent contacts or a good insight on events

Because we've already got grendel... we don't need Simon too... ;)

hutch1972

Personally I am glad to see you back on here.
Please don't get dragged down into the mire of crap Nick, Grendel and a tiny minority of others will throw at you.
It always better to have people on here who may have connections with any party involved in this saga.
It was good when PWKH used to post quite openly and honestly on here.

It would be great to have Tim Fisher on here and Les Reid.

As I say childish crap will fly your way. It would be good if you can rise above it and stay on here so when stories like this break. We may find out some more about it.

Can never real work out why people want to cut of their nose to spite their face on here and hound out those who have decent contacts or a good insight on events
But Don, that's the point , he doesn't know any more than us.
I would say that a few people on social media are more in the know ( so to speak)than he is.
Tbf though , the CET has been utter tosh for many years. If it completely dissappeared tomorrow I doubt many would miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread