Rory MIlroy..best 'home grown' talent.... (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

...since Faldo?

In the light of the Andy Murray thread just wanted to throw up this argument.

Covstu

I would agree as i think he is a wonderful talent and getting better but another one is Lewis Hamilton?????

Paxman II

Thanks guys but it was a somewhat cryptic question....

Put another way is he British therefore is he home grown?

rob9872

Likeable lad who deserved his victory. I was cheering him on as an individual not as a Brit or as a Northern Irishman but in particular after what happened at Augusta. Showed guts and talent. He has all the tools to go on and be much better than Faldo although of course that's difficult to say until he becomes a multi major victor, but I can see him dominating for some time to come.

CovfanDan

Ronnie O'Sullivan?

Bit of a headcase and always moaning how he's fed up with the game etc but for pure talent he must be up there

Paxman II

OK nobody wants to be drawn on the argument...

He is not British. He is Irish.
He is a citizen of the U.K. but not Great Britain.
Does he travel on a British passport?

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"
That makes him a UK'er but not a Brit?

Anyone want to clarify this?

Ernie Machin

Paxman, Having lived most of my life in Northern Ireland, I can tell you I'm fed up to my back teeth of that BS. Rory McIlroy isn't interested in any of it, so why should anyone else be? He represents himself, not a country. Undoubtedly one of the most talented sportsman (Golf ain't a sport, but still) the British Isles have produced in a long time.

I've met him, really sound fella. Absolutely bonkers about United though.

Paxman II

Ernie if golf is not a sport what is it then?

As for the argument I put forward I would really like to know? At best it's extremely ambiguous.
You should know having lived there so long as you say...

Nothing BS about it.

Ernie Machin

It's a good walk ruined.

Northern Ireland, Norn Iron, Our Wee Country, the province, the occupied six counties, the North, Ulster, 6/9ths of Ulster, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland....take your pick. Ambiguous? You betcha. Really does depend on your point of view. What you stated was correct, Northern Ireland isn't technically Britain, but it's people are British subjects who have the option of both a British or Irish passport. Rory supports Ulster (in Rugby) and Northern Ireland in football....but that's all by the by.

Paxman II

Thanks Ernie. So I'm claiming him as our own then!

It should not depend on a point of view though should it?

Perhaps it's this very ambiguity that helps keep the peace?
However I DO NOT want to open that debate!!

Users who are viewing this thread