Rooney (1 Viewer)

kg82

So Rooney has been given a 3 match ban. Now, I may have a differing opinion to most people because, although I think it was a stupid thing to do, I don't think it was actually that bad. He didn't wind his leg right back and kick the hell out the guy, as some people have suggested, it was a kick and, having been kicked a lot, can tell you it wouldn't have hurt and isn't exactly a "leg breaker"! Then, he knew he'd done something stupid straight away and tried to apologise (not the Rooney we've got used to) and took his punishment. He didn't argue, he held his hands up and walked off the pitch. To get a 3 match ban for that, in my opinion, is a disgrace and I have only one opinion on why that is. Xenophobia. UEFA and FIFA, they don't hide their disdain for the English. If it was the other way around there would be a HUGE outcry. To be perfectly honest, I'm not surprised with the outcome because I lost all confidence in these 2 organisations a long time ago. Could you see the same outcome if, say, Iniesta (as it's a European country he plays for) had done exactly the same? Because I couldn't.

Sutty

Probably a bit harsh, but still a totally brainless thing to do. And Iniesta just wouldn't do that, and even if he did his disciplinary record is good enough to get away with it, whereas Rooney's record, and therefore reputation, has been taken into account.

On another note, I don't think I'd include him in the squad. It would be controversial but on the basis that he'd only be available if the team was working well anyway...

kg82

Yes, the Iniesta thing was theoretical. But, ok, we'll try someone else. Rene Gattuso. Now, he was an absolute maniac in the game against Spurs last season, trouble all over the pitch and ended up headbutting Joe Jordan. He got a 4 match ban. Now, his disciplinary record will be at least as bad as Rooneys. Does the punishment seem relative to the incident? Because to me it doesn't.

On the other note of taking him, I'm a bit torn on that. I think you have to take him because he IS World class and we don't have many of those! But will it disrupt the team if we go through to the knock out rounds? My guess is, no. We're never any good at tournaments anyway, they'll be no trouble fitting him in.

gouldberg

I'd pretend to pick him then have the entire squad laugh at him as they board the plane leaving him at the airport. He's a complete clown, horrible attitude and I hope the England selectors make an example out of him.

6 Generations

So Rooney has been given a 3 match ban. Now, I may have a differing opinion to most people because, although I think it was a stupid thing to do, I don't think it was actually that bad. He didn't wind his leg right back and kick the hell out the guy, as some people have suggested, it was a kick and, having been kicked a lot, can tell you it wouldn't have hurt and isn't exactly a "leg breaker"! Then, he knew he'd done something stupid straight away and tried to apologise (not the Rooney we've got used to) and took his punishment. He didn't argue, he held his hands up and walked off the pitch. To get a 3 match ban for that, in my opinion, is a disgrace and I have only one opinion on why that is. Xenophobia. UEFA and FIFA, they don't hide their disdain for the English. If it was the other way around there would be a HUGE outcry. To be perfectly honest, I'm not surprised with the outcome because I lost all confidence in these 2 organisations a long time ago. Could you see the same outcome if, say, Iniesta (as it's a European country he plays for) had done exactly the same? Because I couldn't.

Xenophobic was my 1st thought. The offence was at worst petulant. Both footballing bodies require the inclusion of England, purely for financial gain.
Further, if this decision has been made based on past misdemeanors and on reputation, then it is totally unjust.
Rooney has been tried and punished for those "offences"both professionally and publicly by our relentless media.

Time to wrestle the power back with the aid of Karl Heinz-Rummenige, of cousre

kg82

Yeah, sorry I was going to mention the "being tried for his disciplinary record" thing. Surely every incident is judged as an individual case, not all lumped in with past misdemeanors?

kdrinkell

I think you have to take him because he IS World class and we don't have many of those!
This is the same player in the world cup who was busy shagging slappers so may as well have not turned up....not world class is it ?

I'd say not take the shrek lookalike coont

TheHellion

Before the World Cup, I turned to a friend of mine and said I would not take Rooney to that tournament. could see it a mile off, somehow, that he just would not do the job.

My opinion hasn't changed. I still wouldn't take him, and now he's banned for three matches, my opinion is only reinforced. People may argue Rooney is the best forward we have, but I counter argue that it's exactly his temper and lack ability to keep his cool that would be costly. Eventually, I wager if we do take him, Rooney will come up against a team who are very able to scupper his every move, just like Portugal, and what will happen is he'll react, get frustrated, do something unspeakably dumb and get sent off. I'm sorry, I don't see anything in him to suggest anything else. He is, at heart, a common thug, who cannot control his temper in trying circumstances.

stupot07

I agree that it wasn't exactly GBH but it is still classed as violent conduct, and in the premier league or football league it would be an automatic 3 game suspension. I think the extended ban is unfortunate but not harsh - Rooney is an accident waiting to happen, and although it is that edge that makes Rooney what he is, it isn't an excuse for stupidity.

Kuklinski

I'd pretend to pick him then have the entire squad laugh at him as they board the plane leaving him at the airport. He's a complete clown, horrible attitude and I hope the England selectors make an example out of him.

Excellent suggestion. And from the comments it would appear more are against his inclusion than for.

Your time is up Rooney, see ya later you undespicable scum.

TheHellion

Perhaps this is an oppurtunity to send a message to the rest of the players? Perhaps by taking a tough stance with Rooney, the message could be put across to the others that there is a zero tolerance stance, that any antics from any of them will be dealt with? Would this not give the players a new focus, that could surely be only beneficial?

The thing with Rooney is that I do not believe he is as good as the hype suggests. He does well for united, in my opinion, because of the amount of overseas players around him that seem to have more flair and natural ability with the game. All I see when he plays for England is a shadow of that player, one whose temper shines through more than his ability far too often, and I think unfortunately that could be the story of his career. The man who blew it at big international tournaments because his temper ruined his ability.

smileycov

Facebook User
Can't believe i am reading all this! It was never a 3 match ban offence. Rooney is one of the best players we have, how can we contemplate not taking him. Fucking Uefa bollox!! going on you lot Beckham would never have played after Argentina in world cup.....that would have been good. Rooney's discipline? when was the last time he got in trouble for england? oh, yea.......the Winker. Hellion, saying rooney is all hype......you need to face forward when watching football in future!

sky blue john

I have lost interest in our national team and Sisu with all there efforts or lack of are trying to make me lose interest in my home team.

sky blue john

Firstly I thought don't pick him for next summer but I think it would be more of a punishment to pick him and make him watch from the stands.

TheHellion

I have watched a lot of football, smiley, whilst facing the game too believe it or not ! My point is firstly that I see Rooney doing well for United, but not for England, not to a consistent level any more. Maybe a lot of that is down to the quality of the players around him in the England squad. But secondly, that when we do hype him up for a big tournament, like the last world cup and these Euro's, he either doesn't turn up, or goes and loses his rag and does something like this. There is no doubt, he has some ability (let's face it, he's got more trophies in his trophy cabinet than I'm ever likely to have, so yes there must be something there in him), but I think we place too much emphasis on him, hype him up, and then get disappointed when it seems to inevitably go wrong. I have a feeling that it's going to be a recurring theme is all.

I have to disagree on the three match band as well. In domestic football, more often than not, a red card merits an automatic three match ban, extended in some cases when an appeal is lost. Just because it's Rooney should not make it an exception. Therefore that should be the punishment he receives. Agree with me, don't agree with me. This is just the way the I see's it.

stupot07

Smiley - it was violent conduct, no he didn't commit GBH but it was still violent conduct - in the premier league or football league that is an automatic 3 match ban.

The big issue is Uefa's inconsistency in dealing with this type offense and the whole process of dealing with it.

kg82

Couple of points, the World Cup was slightly different. He went into that being rushed back from injury by Ferguson, of all people. That did him no good at all. It affected him for over a year. Second point is, Arshavin was sent off for violent conduct in the last qualifier in either the last World Cup or last Euro's and was given a 2 match ban.

Also, can we leave his private life out of it, I don't care about it and I don't listen to a thing the media says anymore - sensationalist crap to make money that more often than not is less interesting than me staring at my crap for 5 minutes (sorry to be crude).

At least this has provoked debate though!

LastGarrison

Excellent suggestion. And from the comments it would appear more are against his inclusion than for.

Your time is up Rooney, see ya later you undespicable scum.

Undespicable scum? Fuck right off.

Undespicable scum is people who nonce kids, rape women not some footballer who actually gives a fuck about winning.

Rooney was petulant as fuck, and in my eyes, deserves the 3 match ban put the holier than thou brigade on here are laughable.

Drop him, make an example, thiniiiink of the children!!!!

Ha ha do one.

rob9872

I would appeal, hope he wins and then definitely take him if it's reduced to the one game ban it deserves. However, if the appeal fails, not only would I not take him, but I wouldn't pick him for any of the friendlies or build up games as the final squad can not afford passengers. It's unfortunate and I feel he's been dealt with far too harshly but its the national side and we should prepare as best we can for a major tournament.

If we were to include him in a 22 man squad that will probably only consist of 4 or 5 strikers and we collect an injury, then we may not even get out of the group stage, therefore being a hinderance to take him. There would be a media circus surrounding his involvement or lack of it and if they were to bring him back after the group stage (which would be unfair on those who got them there) then anything but winning the tournament would mean the press and the morons of this country would blame it all on his return - even if he scored 5 and we lost 6-5.

In fact I guess they'll blame him regardless when we do go out anyway, saying that if he hadn't done that he would have been there and we would have won. The guy can't win, but anyone who thinks he is anything but one of the greatest players that people of my generation have seen in an England shirt doesn't really understand football imo (I would say probably only behind Gazza who was equally "challenged" in similar ways).

Kuklinski

Undespicable scum? Fuck right off.

Undespicable scum is people who nonce kids, rape women not some footballer who actually gives a fuck about winning.

Rooney was petulant as fuck, and in my eyes, deserves the 3 match ban put the holier than thou brigade on here are laughable.

Drop him, make an example, thiniiiink of the children!!!!

Ha ha do one.

I'm not holier than though, but neither do I feel the need to join the sheeplike idiots with their moral outrage because yet again the manchild cannot control himself.

His actions have resulted in a 3 game ban, nobody else but the Rooney is to blame.

By all means if you wish to support petulant arseholes who think it's okay to kick an opponent and get himself sent off then do so, but don't accuse those of us who are happy to see the punishment fit the crime for once, of being holier than thou. 

Rooney is not the only petulent, immature stupid footballer we have in the uK.

It seems to me that this Rooney disease affects many individuals who must have a serious brain cell deficiency when applied to playing football.

How many times do we see tackles so late they miss the ball by a country mile but not their opponents legs. The inevitable booking when the stupid player kicks the ball away after a stoppage directly under the ref's nose.

The overzealous goal celebration always going that 5% more than is tolerated and always resulting in yet another booking.

The gobbing off of players to refs having been booked once already who can't resist another last tirade of filthy abuse to the ref and then looking shocked when the RED is produced.

It's no good saying its a "passionate game", "heat of the moment" its "a mans game" etc because these players and their dimwitted action cost their clubs results and points resulting in limited progress being made in all competitions and denying fans who pay good money to watch 22 players compete for ninety minutes plus.

So Mr Rooney thanks a bunch for missing three games next season in the Euros hopefully you have learnt a lesson from your childishness but I won't hold my breath.

PUSB

rob9872

They are brainless, but they're all also talented and able to do things that all of us supporters would love to be able to do. Who would go to watch a team if eleven Gary Lineakers? There is room for both and what keeps it entertaining or interesting. Tbh its the rules that are the problem with booking players for the stupid things you mention above - particularly when they are administered so inconsistently. The only true thing that should be cut out of the game are the malicious tackles, elbows and assaults, everything else is pandering to try and pretend that players are role models. Oh and spitting at other players of course, I really hate that.

LastGarrison

I'm not holier than though, but neither do I feel the need to join the sheeplike idiots with their moral outrage because yet again the manchild cannot control himself.

His actions have resulted in a 3 game ban, nobody else but the Rooney is to blame.

By all means if you wish to support petulant arseholes who think it's okay to kick an opponent and get himself sent off then do so, but don't accuse those of us who are happy to see the punishment fit the crime for once, of being holier than thou. 

Who's a sheep like idiot? Re-read my post and you tell me where I didn't say he was petulant twat who deserved his 3 match ban.

You're the one who called him dispicable scum? I'm happy to let you explain yourself, how is Wayne Rooney dispicable scum?

And feel free to compare it to the real world?

LastGarrison

I would appeal, hope he wins and then definitely take him if it's reduced to the one game ban it deserves. However, if the appeal fails, not only would I not take him, but I wouldn't pick him for any of the friendlies or build up games as the final squad can not afford passengers. It's unfortunate and I feel he's been dealt with far too harshly but its the national side and we should prepare as best we can for a major tournament.

If we were to include him in a 22 man squad that will probably only consist of 4 or 5 strikers and we collect an injury, then we may not even get out of the group stage, therefore being a hinderance to take him. There would be a media circus surrounding his involvement or lack of it and if they were to bring him back after the group stage (which would be unfair on those who got them there) then anything but winning the tournament would mean the press and the morons of this country would blame it all on his return - even if he scored 5 and we lost 6-5.

In fact I guess they'll blame him regardless when we do go out anyway, saying that if he hadn't done that he would have been there and we would have won. The guy can't win, but anyone who thinks he is anything but one of the greatest players that people of my generation have seen in an England shirt doesn't really understand football imo (I would say probably only behind Gazza who was equally "challenged" in similar ways).

Sorry I missed this. So we can take only take 4 strikers who would it be? And if they thought about taking 5 you still wouldn't gamble?

Kuklinski

Who's a sheep like idiot? Re-read my post and you tell me where I didn't say he was petulant twat who deserved his 3 match ban.

You're the one who called him dispicable scum? I'm happy to let you explain yourself, how is Wayne Rooney dispicable scum?

And feel free to compare it to the real world?

At no point did I suggest you didn't say he was a petulant twat, but feel free to point out where I did.

Rooney is despicable scum for a number of reasons. But to mention just a couple, here goes, his remarks aimed at England supporters at the last World Cup were despicable. Seeing prostitutes behind his pregnant wife's back was despicable. But feel free to tell me they weren't.

The supporters who spent thousands to follow England in South Africa, only to be subjected to the disgusting comments from the manchilds mouth, is that real world enough for you?

Otis

Rooney is by far and away England's best player and probably our one World Class player to boot.

With a squad of over 20 players, many of which won't get to play a game at all anyway in the tournament, then of course you take him. Madness not to.

Macca

times like this that I'm glad that the consistant failure for a good few years of a bunch of overpaid average players to perform in an England shirt has left me no longer giving a flying fuck.

Covstu

He did his crime and got his ban, personally he still needs to go to the euros as he is a great player. I dont disagree with the 3 match ban, he fully deserves it.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I've lost interest in England since Capello took over the football is beyond boring. I didn't watch the game but I've saw the tackle and I think although he deserves the 3 match ban, we still need to take him to the Euro's. If we make it through the group stage without him he may freshen things up and give the team an additional boost going into the knock outs. Hate to say it but he is the best player.

kg82

Last Garrison - a bit of perspective... Nice!

Kuklinski, more interested in what they do off the pitch. Now, I don't know what your definition of being a sheep is, but I've said he didn't deserve the 3 match ban, which seems to go against the general consensus, whilst you quote lines from the Sun? And as for the supporters - yes, they pay a lot of money to watch what is there but do you know what, it's their choice. Some of the things they say and chant to footballers is despicable. And this has NOTHING to do with the ban he's received, just a personal vendetta against Rooney.

When Rooney matures he will be awesome. He is one of the best footballers on the planet no doubt, but he is still young and this show's. I can't agree with the mentality of excluding one of the best players in the world because he kicked someone. We either want to do well as a nation or we don't. This means making best use of resources available to us. Yes we all wish he was as nice and polite as Lineker, but he's not. He should still be on the pitch bringing us success though.

Kuklinski

Kuklinski, more interested in what they do off the pitch. Now, I don't know what your definition of being a sheep is, but I've said he didn't deserve the 3 match ban, which seems to go against the general consensus, whilst you quote lines from the Sun? And as for the supporters - yes, they pay a lot of money to watch what is there but do you know what, it's their choice. Some of the things they say and chant to footballers is despicable. And this has NOTHING to do with the ban he's received, just a personal vendetta against Rooney.

I don't read the Sun so I've no idea what lines it is I'm supposed to be quoting?

I agree it is the choice of supporters to pay their money, and I'm sure there will have been a few wishing they hadn't after his despicable words. But while you are such an advocate of choice, Rooney had the choice to either kick out in a show of childish petulance, or to accept niggles are a part of the game. His actions have meant he is of no use for a major part of the tournament, if any of it should the team fail to progress from the group stage.

Football supporters in saying awful things shocker. If I was on £200,000 plus every week I wouldn't give a damn what abuse comes from the terraces, in fact I'd welcome it. But on a more personal level, I've never slated a player whilst at a game, so to excuse his behaviour by saying some supporters are abusive towards players is quite farcical, and unjust on the decent supporters who don't.

kg82

"If I was on £200,000 a week" blah blah blah. Same old argument. Fact is, you have no idea how you'd react. I'm not excusing any behaviour but if you're focusing on one side of it then the view is unbalanced and that's exactly what you're doing. Football supporters aren't scrutinized 7 days a week either, they have this unfounded belief that because they're on minimum wage they get to shout obscenities at whoever they like, whenever they like but because that footballer is on a lot more than them they don't have a say back. Get real.

Advocate of choice? Because I said supporters have a choice! Ok, yes Rooney made a bad choice. It was petulant. Malicious... No. Petulant. WOW, nobody's ever been petulant before :eek: HANG HIM, disgusting little child.

LastGarrison

You like the word despicable don't you?

I'm sober now so not as an argumentative as last night but calling Rooney despicable scum is laughable!!!

And not thinking about taking him to the Euro's when he is far and away our best player is equally laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread