ROD or Jeffers for Derby? (1 Viewer)

CJparker

Assuming that Juke is unfit/sold for the Derby game, and that Cody / Platt/ Freddie are still out, who (based on the Saints game) should play up front - ROD or Jeffers??

Wasn't at the game myself, reading posts on here apparently neither were exactly fantastic!

skyblue19

Give Jeffers a go, why not. Had he come on 5 minutes earlier while we had the momentum it may have been a different story.

stupot07

Give Jeffers a go, why not. Had he come on 5 minutes earlier while we had the momentum it may have been a different story.

It was unfortunate that he came on when the whole team started playing crap and he had very little of the ball.

Otis

Neither. ROD is nowhere approaching a Championship level player and Jeffers is still a kid and not a kid who has received much praise at all within the club or been touted as a good prospect for the future.

I would go with neither. Half the time we only play with one up front anyway so I would just go with McShuffty and bolster the midfield.

johnwillomagic

Neither - for start I think that one of the four will definitely be back.

Worse case scenario if none of the four are I am sure Clingan or Bell would be back and therefore they would slot into midfield and I would push Baker up top with Sheff he has played there before for Stocport and seems in good form at present.

For the subs bench if needed would have ROD comfortably ahead of Jeffers who could not cut it at league 2 level at Cheltenham......conference level is about Jeffers ability.

Hope we put in a good performance against Derby they are very beatable and we need to get points from these games if we are to have a chance of staying up! PUSB

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Tbf to ROD, i thought he and Sheffers worked quite well together. He did miss some good chances tho.

Id also say we were a better side when he was on the pitch, than we were when he went of.......

If only the crosses we were putting into the box were hard and low, a bit oike Southamptons for the first goal.

Sterling Archer

Without bowing to hyperbole, you'd have to pick ROD. Jeffers looked really out of his depth when he came on. At least ROD managed to find some decent positions at times. Its quite obvious he isn't Championship standard but he is a better option than Jeffers.

TheRoyalScam

Neither - they're not good enough!

Scam's XI to nick a point (assuming Clingan and Jutkiewicz are unavailable):

Murphy
Keogh -- Cranie -- Wood
Christie --------------------------- Hussey
Deegan -- Thomas -- Bell
Baker
McSheffrey​

Subs: Dunn, McPake, Clarke, Bigirimana, O'Donovan

:blue::blue::blue:

skybluegod

if eastwood had a fitness check against saints then i expect him to be in contention and rod i would have but never saw much of jeffers.

Grendel

If things are that desperate then play Richard wood upfront. I remember a defender called Keith osgood played 1 game as a striker in the 70's. He was awful but scored the winner - at derby.

Neither - they're not good enough!

Scam's XI to nick a point (assuming Clingan and Jutkiewicz are unavailable):

Murphy
Keogh -- Cranie -- Wood
Christie --------------------------- Hussey
Deegan -- Thomas -- Bell
Baker
McSheffrey​

Subs: Dunn, McPake, Clarke, Bigirimana, O'Donovan

:blue::blue::blue:

Not a bad shout.

shmmeee

Stick Baker up front, he's 6 foot and might make something happen. To be honest any of the permutations remind me of the Nii Lampty/Peter Ndlovu combo: not exactly effective.

Nonleagueherewecome

Jeffers - I haven't seen him play and he is not ready but ROD is a parks player.

ROD couldn't score in a brothel.

Not really-he tore Nuneaton to shreds, and they are slightly above parks level!

ROD anytime for me: Jeffers looks BSN/BSP level, whereas ROD is probably L1 level. More importantly, ROD, for all his profligacy in front of goal yesterday, does have one asset: he is comfortably our quickest player. He really stretched the Saints backline yesterday, we had 4 or 5 dangerous counter attacks as a result, and their defensive line could comfortably push up when he went off, which is why we were a much worse side when he went off.

He can finish, in theory-he did it in L1..he's very short of match fitness and confidence. I can't help feel that if he gets one, he could start scoring a few-and he will be a useful option in L1 next season perhaps.

Nonleagueherewecome

Oh, and he works his guts out closing down. Give me a trier over Cody or Freddy any time. He made more impact yesterday than Cody has all season since Ipswich. And would Cody have scored yesterday? No, as I doubt he'd have been busting a gut to get into those positions in the first place.

Grendel

Oh, and he works his guts out closing down. Give me a trier over Cody or Freddy any time. He made more impact yesterday than Cody has all season since Ipswich. And would Cody have scored yesterday? No, as I doubt he'd have been busting a gut to get into those positions in the first place.
Oddly I agree. Cody is the biggest waste.of space I've seen here. Also if he doesn't start training it will be a helluva big space.

torchomatic

ROD for me. I thought he looked sharp and if only he could have scored from that one-on-one after a couple of minutes. At least he got into the position in the first place. Jeffers was piss poor when he came out. Ineffectual.

skablue

Take Juke out of the equation and the rest of our strikers have scored 7 goals between them this season, don't really see any of the present options being good enough if we are to have a chance of staying up. I think Platt is the best option to partner Mcsheff from the present squad if the Juke is sold or missing through injury purely for his physical presence.

gouldberg

Nice to see we're writing off the 19 year old already. Smacks a bit of the Gary Madine to me. I remember Coventry fans saying he was a complete joke of a player when we had him on loan from Carlisle. I thought we should have taken a punt on a permanent transfer. He was also 19 at the time. He scored 0 goals in 9 sub appearances with us, now this season he netted 11 goals for Sheffield Wednesday in 16 games before getting injured and was linked with moves to better teams.

If we hadn't have written off the youngster we could have had him playing for us, I wonder if Mr.Jeffers will be banging them in in League 1 in a couple of seasons time after being written off by our fans.

J

Jack Griffin

Madine was much better from what I've seen of both of them, he also had a more impressive criminal record. :(

stupot07

Nice to see we're writing off the 19 year old already. Smacks a bit of the Gary Madine to me. I remember Coventry fans saying he was a complete joke of a player when we had him on loan from Carlisle. I thought we should have taken a punt on a permanent transfer. He was also 19 at the time. He scored 0 goals in 9 sub appearances with us, now this season he netted 11 goals for Sheffield Wednesday in 16 games before getting injured and was linked with moves to better teams.

If we hadn't have written off the youngster we could have had him playing for us, I wonder if Mr.Jeffers will be banging them in in League 1 in a couple of seasons time after being written off by our fans.

I agree - young players should be given until they are 21-22 before being written off, players develop at different rates and ages. Not everyone peaks at 17-19 like Rooney and owen.

Our fans seem to revel in writing off our kids.

ROD for me. I thought he looked sharp and if only he could have scored from that one-on-one after a couple of minutes. At least he got into the position in the first place. Jeffers was piss poor when he came out. Ineffectual.

Jesus, Torchy, what game were you watching????

He arched a run, through a gap of 20 yards between rookie centre-halves (a basic for any striker), and his finishing was utterly abysmal....and I don't recall him holding up the ball, or making an effective pass, or cross...but I did see some totally piss-poor penalty area instincts and finishing.

Ah well, like Freddy said in 2009, I'm sure next season will be his season.

Users who are viewing this thread