Rocking all over the world (1 Viewer)

Covcraig@bury

This is a big big big up , so hear me out . So me and her indoors have been out in Manchester for a few beers , got talking to some manc’s who are proper Man City . And they said they had started doing the league 92 grounds . So to cut this tread sort . They all said when they visited the Ricoh it was like going into a music festival. It was the best atmosphere in a football stadium they had heard .
this made my fucking day #eeremassive .

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

This is a big big big up , so hear me out . So me and her indoors have been out in Manchester for a few beers , got talking to some manc’s who are proper Man City . And they said they had started doing the league 92 grounds . So to cut this tread sort . They all said when they visited the Ricoh it was like going into a music festival. It was the best atmosphere in a football stadium they had heard .

Not bad for a soulless bowl.

Bugsy

They ain't seen nothing yet

Bu bu baby they ain't seen nothing yet...
Keep up the good work SBA ...PUSB

clint van damme

I'm curious as to what the long version of that story was.

SHUNT31

Now imagine you’re back watching us lose to FGR with 7,000 In attendance. It’s actually incredible the difference in a stadium everyone had blamed for its shit atmosphere.

slowpoke

The transformation at the Ricoh (CBS) of noise and support has gone on beyond anything I expected.
In the bad old days of the likes of Forest Green and Yeovil it was hard work to say the least. In a way although I hated every minute and didn’t always go in a strange way being at St. Andrews helped with the vocal support and has continued and grown since returning.

Ashdown

It was never the stadium, it’s location or acoustics…..It was always the hopelessness brought about by dreadful owners, the uncaring shits that run the council, the endless court cases. The very fact that the City’s youth had given up on the basket case of a club.
Not now though, it’s cool to be Cov again👍

djr8369

Any idea what game they went to?

Otis

It was never the stadium, it’s location or acoustics…..It was always the hopelessness brought about by dreadful owners, the uncaring shits that run the council, the endless court cases. The very fact that the City’s youth had given up on the basket case of a club.
Yup, many of us said this at the time. Lots of people were saying that the stadium was awful and soulless, but that was only because we were so down-beaten as a club. No success, downward spiral, apathy amongst fans, small crowds.

It only needed a bit of success to bring the arena to life.

NortonSkyBlue

Yup, many of us said this at the time. Lots of people were saying that the stadium was awful and soulless, but that was only because we were so down-beaten as a club. No success, downward spiral, apathy amongst fans, small crowds.

It only needed a bit of success to bring the arena to life.
It only needed us to bring the stadium to life.

bigfatronssba

There was also a rose tinted view of Highfield Road (often by people who were too young to have actually been there).
The soulless bowl vs the atmospheric old stadium.
I remember being in HR at times and you could hear a pin drop

Otis

There was also a rose tinted view of Highfield Road (often by people who were too young to have actually been there).
Definitely. It was awful most of the time.

Tommo1993

Yep. When people spot the Cov badge on my leg when I’m out and about for work, I’ll often hear how we shouldn’t have left HR, blah blah blah.

Unfortunately there are still many Cov fans who’d hang you from the nearest lamppost for disagreeing that HR always had a brilliant atmosphere. And sadly those who tell you they haven’t been along to watch since we left HR. Yeah, you probably didn’t go before that either…

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Funnily enough this video popped up on my Youtube feed yesterday and couldn't believe how loud it sounds as an away fan in the CBS the roar from the first goal is incredible. Well worth a watch:

Otis

Can I have 10p for every time he says "you know", because there is a house I have my eye on.

NortonSkyBlue

The location of the CBS is shit...of that there can be no argument.
Many things regarding the build and history of the stadium are shit but the location isn’t one of them in my opinion.
It’s in Coventry, it got good motorway access and its central for many when you consider that Bedworth and Nuneaton are just the other side.
It is ironic that thousands of shoppers daily have forsaken the city centre for an edge of town shopping experience but football fans have trouble travelling a few miles to the same location.

Grendel

Many things regarding the build and history of the stadium are shit but the location isn’t one of them in my opinion.
It’s in Coventry, it got good motorway access and its central for many when you consider that Bedworth and Nuneaton are just the other side.
It is ironic that thousands of shoppers daily have forsaken the city centre for an edge of town shopping experience but football fans have trouble travelling a few miles to the same location.

Shoppers can park easily and aren’t leaving when there’s another 20,000 doing the same. Poor pub facilities in the area as well

NortonSkyBlue

Shoppers can park easily and aren’t leaving when there’s another 20,000 doing the same. Poor pub facilities in the area as well
And Highfield road was a parking paradise? I don’t see how poor pub facilities is a Stadium issue but fair enough. I go to the Anecdote or Dhillons or have a drink at one of the many very good trucks outside the stadium with my friends. Perhaps I am easily pleased.

theferret

Location is terrible. On a list of priorities for a football ground 'easy access to the motorway' would be bottom.

The matchday experience has massively improved for sure, but it's a shit location and no surprise it's often ranked as one of the country's worst away days.

bigfatronssba

The matchday experience has massively improved for sure, but it's a shit location and no surprise it's often ranked as one of the country's worst away days.

I’d wager that the fans who label it as the worst away day in the country haven’t visited the ground in the last 15 years (if at all)

ccfcchris

Another thing that'll be put to bed provided the success keeps going is that we are a small club with regard to attendance. It takes time.

Grendel

And Highfield road was a parking paradise? I don’t see how poor pub facilities is a Stadium issue but fair enough. I go to the Anecdote or Dhillons or have a drink at one of the many very good trucks outside the stadium with my friends. Perhaps I am easily pleased.

You could park in the centre and walk to Highfield Road or bus in easily

theferret

But you can say that about any ground. Lost count of the grounds I have been to that have been completely dead on that particular visit.

Highfield Road could be shit, bit it was also great on occasions too. Atmosphere is just one part of what makes a stadium great.

Take SJP, Bramall Lane, Villa Park, Craven Cottage (or any London ground really), and place them on a retail park on the edge of town, they would lose much of what makes them great.

bigfatronssba

But you can say that about any ground. Lost count of the grounds I have been to that have been completely dead on that particular visit.

Highfield Road could be shit, bit it was also great on occasions too. Atmosphere is just one part of what makes a stadium great.

Take SJP, Bramall Lane, Villa Park, Craven Cottage (or any London ground really), and place them on a retail park on the edge of town, they would lose much of what makes them great.

Completely agree about the atmosphere. Its just a building. What's happening on the pitch and the general feel of the place is what makes an atmosphere.

Covcraig@bury

Parking is too expensive at the ground and getting out after the game is terrible even though we are next to a major motorway

Users who are viewing this thread