Robins - Why I left coventry (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

MARK Robins said he left Coventry City after failing to get assurances from Sisu.

The new Huddersfield manager described his decision to walk out on the Sky Blues five months into a three-year contract as the toughest of his career.

Robins, 43, had transformed City’s season after being installed as Andy Thorn’s successor in September, steering them from a potential relegation battle in npower League One to the fringes of the play-offs.

But Huddersfield, who sacked Simon Grayson three weeks ago after going 12 games without a win, were granted permission to approach Robins on Tuesday after Coventry had rejected an initial approach.

“It was a considered decision,” said Robins, who alluded to the current rent dispute between the club and Arena Coventry Ltd – the owners of the Ricoh Arena.

“I spoke to the owner, I sought assurances and didn’t get any assurances from the owner of Coventry,” he said as he was unveiled today as the Terrier’s fifth manager in as many years.

“I absolutely wish them all the best, they work their socks off and as I’ve said before that club needs support from Coventry City Council.

“That led to a decision to want to speak with Huddersfield and that’s how the decision has been arrived at.”

When pressed about the nature of the assurances he wanted from Coventry, Robins added: “I won’t go into specific detail.

“There are well-documented things about what’s happening down at Coventry. It is a magnificent club. Potentially huge.

“But it needs support to build revenue streams and help from the council.” Robins added: “It’s been the most difficult professional decision I’ve ever had to make, but I feel it’s absolutely the right decision.”

torchomatic

And yet, one week ago:

"I am more than happy as manager of Coventry City.”

With tongue firmly in cheek, he joked: “If Manchester United came calling... but they have a manager,” adding, “I have been here for five months, so we’re getting dangerously close to the 11th-month average for Coventry managers.

“But, in all seriousness, I had a meeting with some of the board on Wednesday and spoke to the owner about other things planning for the future, so that should tell you a story."

Otis

Who knows what's gone on.

To be quite honest, I'm sick to death with it all.

Can't we just move on and talk about CCFC's future on and off the pitch rather than Robins leaving and why he left etc. etc.

It's becoming rather tiresome.

Brighton Sky Blue

And yet, one week ago:

"I am more than happy as manager of Coventry City.”

With tongue firmly in cheek, he joked: “If Manchester United came calling... but they have a manager,” adding, “I have been here for five months, so we’re getting dangerously close to the 11th-month average for Coventry managers.

“But, in all seriousness, I had a meeting with some of the board on Wednesday and spoke to the owner about other things planning for the future, so that should tell you a story."

'The press conference was also of great scientific interest, as no sooner had Robins finished explaining his decision did his underwear spontaneously ignite.

Mrs Robins was said to be relieved on hearing the news.'

kepit 2 yusen

It needs to be disclosed exactly what Sisu didn't assure him on so we can really understand. It's all very well alluding to things - this requires direct straight forward words, not riddles.
If for example there was a clear hint that the there was a strong possibility of the club being wound up then he has done what any self surviving man will do and jumped ship whilst he had a lifeline.
If it was him just throwing his toys out then he's everything people are calling him.
Fisher and Robins need to be crystal clear and stop playing word games.

Otis

Ain't going to happen though is it!

It's all going to be as clear as mud!

It's like ACL v Sisu. Two polarised lots of information coming out and impossible to truly believe either side.

Brighton Sky Blue

It needs to be disclosed exactly what Sisu didn't assure him on so we can really understand. It's all very well alluding to things - this requires direct straight forward words, not riddles.
If for example there was a clear hint that the there was a strong possibility of the club being wound up then he has done what any self surviving man will do and jumped ship whilst he had a lifeline.
If it was him just throwing his toys out then he's everything people are calling him.
Fisher and Robins need to be crystal clear and stop playing word games.

See Torch's quote from last week.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ain't going to happen though is it!

It's all going to be as clear as mud!

It's like ACL v Sisu. Two polarised lots of information coming out and impossible to truly believe either side.

I'd say it's pretty clear-nobody likes to openly admit that they're money motivated, so he has chosen to perpetuate the misconception currently in the national media that the council hold the sword of Democles over the club's head.

Sky Blues

“I spoke to the owner, I sought assurances and didn’t get any assurances from the owner of Coventry,” he said as he was unveiled today as the Terrier’s fifth manager in as many years.
“I absolutely wish them all the best, they work their socks off and as I’ve said before that club needs support from Coventry City Council.
“That led to a decision to want to speak with Huddersfield and that’s how the decision has been arrived at.”
- Mark Robins.

This doesn't sound to me like the "it's all the fault of the council" explanation some seemed to be trumpeting on here earlier. Given what we've also learned today, I think he was saying the rent dispute affected his decision and both sides need to work together to sort it out.

dadgad

This doesn't sound to me like the "it's all the fault of the council" explanation some seemed to be trumpeting on here earlier. Given what we've also learned today, I think he was saying the rent dispute affected his decision and both sides need to work together to sort it out.

Not the fault of the council at all.
The people who said/think that the Council is to blame are keen to paint ACL and the Council as villains of the piece so that the real reason is not identified - i.e.. Sisu's intransigence and dishonesty.
You have to wonder just who's interests are being served by peddling this nonsense????.
MR always came across as his own man and honest with it. It must have been very difficult for the manager to keep this out of his and the players' minds while trying to concentrate on winning matches. All things considered and because they have oceans of previous I tend to respect MR's take on events.

dongonzalos

I am aghast that anyone has the desire to defend SISU over this rent issue now.

They say they have the money. They say they can build a 30 million pound stadium.

They wanted a figure ACL wanted another figure.

ACL come down by 66% SISU refuse the compromise

We look like a club in financial crisis whilst it drags on. (Other clubs confident about getting our manager- IMO)

They reach an agreement.

They tell the manager ( this bit is IMO)

They come to sign the agreement and change the goal posts. Don't sign it.

Cant give the manager the assurances he wants and he leaves.

SISU do what is best for Coventry behave like decent honest business men.

Sign the deal and start making plans for Coventry. Si when we appear in the press it is because of our success not because we are moving to Hinkley.

dadgad

I am aghast that anyone has the desire to defend SISU over this rent issue now.

Don't be. This is a footy forum, and takes all sorts......its a broad church. ;);)

But the willingness to use any tactic to support Sisu is certainly baffling.

Grendel

Don't be. This is a footy forum, and takes all sorts......its a broad church. ;);)

The willingness to support a council backed quango above the football club is a lot more baffling. Interesting that supporting the club is now supporting sisu in your eyes.

Nonleagueherewecome

The willingness to support a council backed quango above the football club is a lot more baffling. Interesting that supporting the club is now supporting sisu in your eyes.

Supporting SISU is not supporting CCFC. Supporting CCFC does not require supporting SISU-indeed, I find it hard to see how anyone with the club's best interests at heart can back SISU.

Sawyer

No one really knows what has happened but all in all I think we should be happy with the contribution and status MR has given us in his 5 months and now build on it, and get that promotion.

Then we can swap leagues with him! :D

Otis

Thing is, in all honesty, would you trust any football club owner? By the same token, would you trust any local council?

I'm sure you'll have the same answer for both questions.

stupot07

They say they have the money. They say they can build a 30 million pound stadium.

Sisu are reliant on finding external investors not using their own money. It will be far easier to find people to invest in bricks and mortar than investing in revenue streams they will never get back.

psgm1

Banned
What about the situation was Robins not aware of when he signed on?

He lied from day one. He said the team had quality throughout, then brought in 4 players! Hardly showed any confidence.

Why did he even sign when his stated reason for "resigning" from Barnsley was they didn't provide him the funds he wanted.

Be warned Robins, simply having funds doesn't necessarily bring success. Just look at the "SUCCESS" Sven had, and he DID go to clubs that were prepared to stump up the dosh.

Huddersfield will NOT be as forgiving as city. The fans here are so used to failure, they would bend over backwards for any manager who strung together a string of wins (even though they were ALL down to effeectively one player and NOT your tactics). Personally I'm glad the lying toad has left. Perhaps now fans will wake up and see the TRUE state of the team!

Covstu

Sadly we will never know what 'assurances' that MR wanted (maybe another 5k per week in his ass pocket). We need to move on or else we will be trying this post mortem for months to come.

CJparker

I support CCFC on the field, but off the field they are a disgrace. Take off the sky blue glasses for 2 seconds and you can see the same as all netruals, that this is a hedge fund trying to bully a taxpayer funded council into handing over ownership of an expensive resource (built by non-repaid council funding).

The reason I support ACL on this is because I am in favour of honesty and fairness, not "CCFC interests at all costs, fuck everyone else"

dadgad

The reason I support ACL on this is because I am in favour of honesty and fairness,

Well said, and who could disagree?
I remember about two months ago MR was asked about the rent issue.
"It'll be sorted." was his reply. It was the reply of a man who believed that it would be.
You knew then he had been given the necessary reassurance.

adamdav68

- Mark Robins.

total agree

dantheman

Well said, and who could disagree?
I remember about two months ago MR was asked about the rent issue.
"It'll be sorted." was his reply. It was the reply of a man who believed that it would be.
You knew then he had been given the necessary reassurance.
But as we've just been told ourselves it has NOT been sorted so who is lying to who????

Otis

But as we've just been told ourselves it has NOT been sorted so who is lying to who????

Do we really care anymore.

To be honest I am sick to death of hearing Robins' name mentioned now.

Time to move on and forget about the bloke. He has to now be yesterday's news.

I wanted to hear what he had to say, he's done that, the club have said their bit, time now to concentrate on CCFC and our future not a now ex manager of the club.

AFCCOVENTRY

I wanted to hear what he had to say, he's done that, the club have said their bit, time now to concentrate on CCFC and our future not a now ex manager of the club.

Let's talk about his buddy Batman instead :pimp:

dongonzalos

I am more concerned about the future if our club under this ownership
Time after time in the last 3 years they make decisions that set us back.

I just don't know what the answer is.

Other than a council owned football club which you can't have.

coundonskyblue

I am more concerned about the future if our club under this ownership
Time after time in the last 3 years they make decisions that set us back.

I just don't know what the answer is.

Other than a council owned football club which you can't have.

Can't see a reason why ACL couldnt own the club though.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I support CCFC on the field, but off the field they are a disgrace. Take off the sky blue glasses for 2 seconds and you can see the same as all netruals, that this is a hedge fund trying to bully a taxpayer funded council into handing over ownership of an expensive resource (built by non-repaid council funding).

The reason I support ACL on this is because I am in favour of honesty and fairness, not "CCFC interests at all costs, fuck everyone else"
Yep, you are the polar opposite

ACL at all costs, even if it fucks the club up

Users who are viewing this thread